PDA

View Full Version : In-Line fuel Pump

Bigfoot
07-11-2009, 09:24
My brother has done a conversion on his capri from a 1.6 to a 2.1 pinto. Problem being is that previously it was a mechanical fuel pump. He is after putting an inline one in place. Can he just put one at the back where the pump is, wire up an ignition live to it and away he goes? Does he need to put a return fuel pipe in place? Does it need a fuel relay to control it? Or can the pump be placed in the engine bay (im guessing not on this as most cars I know have fuel pumps in the tank or at the back of the car and im guessing that is for a reason.

rs250nut
07-11-2009, 10:53
My brother has done a conversion on his capri from a 1.6 to a 2.1 pinto. Problem being is that previously it was a mechanical fuel pump. He is after putting an inline one in place. Can he just put one at the back where the pump is, wire up an ignition live to it and away he goes? Does he need to put a return fuel pipe in place? Does it need a fuel relay to control it? Or can the pump be placed in the engine bay (im guessing not on this as most cars I know have fuel pumps in the tank or at the back of the car and im guessing that is for a reason.

Not sure for road but used to use the trusty pinto all the time in short oval racing. Is he using the twin square choke weber, forget the name of these carbs now 32/36 dvg something or other? Used to use an electric pump with these no problem with just a switch, I think you would be better off using a relay though if its a road car. If I remember correctly these have a return line going back to the tank.

markey b
07-11-2009, 11:14
i'd imagine there would be a fuel pressure reg with the return from there, a bit like a 5? ignition live then wouldn't be a prob as the fuel would be in a constant cycle from and then back to the tank so leaving the pump running wouldn't overpressurise the carb

Bigfoot
07-11-2009, 12:36
His running twin 45s on there.

Thats what I was thinking, it would just keep pumping the fuel in with no way of returning or stop it from pumping.

Seems an easy enough conversion but for the money and only getting 165bhp out of the engine seems a bit much to do so really.