PDA

View Full Version : filling the recess in the bumper

djinuk
04-11-2009, 15:46
When my r5 goes in to have the 2x sills welded up im going to attack the front and rear bumper recess's.

Just wondering how others have attacked this area.

I was going to use p40 to fill the recess 80% of the way, then remove any spikes with some 80 grit, then i was going to skim filler it, and block it back using 120/240 grade. Then i was going to wet flat it all the way back with a guide coat to help get it all silky smooth/straight and ready for paint.

I also plan to fill the recess in the rear bumper as i will run my sidey but im still toying of the best way to do this yet.

J$£5GTT
04-11-2009, 16:25
fibreglass it,but leave it below the surface a bit,saves sanding down to much,then apply a gel coat an sand that up,filler is ok for little inperfections but larger areas can crack so your better off using the f'glass.

to fill rear exhaust mount use a cut out from an old rear bumper,alternatively you can also use part of the front bumper for this,just takes a little more work.

:agree:

jay28
04-11-2009, 17:47
I screwed a handfull of wood screws into the lip around the inner edge of the recess. Then filled it with composite filler before finally finishing it with normal upol filler. Looks ok to me and shouldnt fall out if it gets whacked due to the screws being stuck inside the lump!!

gttjames
04-11-2009, 19:19
iv just done this, should be finished tonite and off to paint soon.

Key it up heavily! Drill holes every 2inches along the recces, mask it off then fill with fibreglass, leave a small gap so you dont have to rub down fibreglass.

Remove masking tape. Then when its set whip out your filler and the idea is your just skimming the top layer so will only be 2-5mm deep and wont crack.

dizzeeR5
04-11-2009, 21:16
i fibreglass resined it up the skimmed the top with filler. i wasn't happy with the weight, so iccut the recess off from the back.

then fibreglass matted it from behinde the turned it over then skimmed it with filler. the weight diffrence was mad. all the weight to the front bumper i fort it made it sag down a tiny bit,,

djinuk
04-11-2009, 21:36
sweet, kinda look forward to doing this now, always enjoyed working with bodywork when it was only small areas :) , will just have to see if im any good when it comes to painting it :P

dizzeeR5
04-11-2009, 23:18
paintings easy mate. 1 pointer u might know this but. wen u spray take your finger off at every direction change, stops thick coats at each end..

left to right , release ,right to left ect.. dunno if i make sence.

djinuk
05-11-2009, 07:33
yea man, i kinda picked up that one..

only problem i have with painting is going to finding somewhere that i can get warm indoor to do it. hmm hmm

It will be my first time spraying a clear coat though.

djinuk
05-11-2009, 10:51
out of interest how low would you get the filler before you high build it ? 800 grit ?

djinuk
05-11-2009, 22:40
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=7962

Well ive began the assault on the bumpers!