PDA

View Full Version : Credit Crunch Kicking In (are you affected)

Mudslinger
29-09-2008, 18:43
with the countrys finacial situation going downhill rapid , it seems more and more peeps are finding themselves out of work .

My old man has worked with a company for over 15 years and got told on friday they were in liquidation , he has not been paid for 2 weeks and has to claim it back from the goverment along with his 15 weeks notice period,holiday pay and redundancy moneys due , the worst bit is he loses all his overtime as the goverment only pay a minimum not including o/t so hes lost the last 2 weekends o/t , you should see his coupon :mad: hes a hound for the pound and never refuses o/t so hes not amused but theres feck all he can do !

How many more peeps are going to find themselves jobless before the years out ?

djinuk
29-09-2008, 18:46
mods of my friends around are affected by it, my family have a private hire taxi buisness, which in turn is affected as less people have jobs to require taxis to get to etc etc.

i work in the building industry so yea im worried.

clee
29-09-2008, 18:53
Been there ,done that , ahhh !!!!Retro , the 80's are back ..

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ2oXzrnti4

dangerous dave
29-09-2008, 19:03
not got to me and living at home with mummy i should be ok.. i don't owe anymore than a few hundred on my c/card that could be cleared now if needed.. that said i think its time to clear it all just incase i find myself out on my ar5e, not that i dont think of quitting everyday and have to stop myself walking out:scared:

moneys not floating about like it was, which makes me wonder how has it all??? i don't, the banks don't....

seems wayne rooney and co have it all:coffee:

Sy5GTT
29-09-2008, 19:12
The company I work for annonced 65 redundancies this time last year. We make engine and gearbox mounts for Audi and Land Rover and a few suspension bushes for the new mondeo. Most of our moulding has been sourced out to Turkey to save money. I have been told my job is safe but even after the volentary redundancies there are still 14 jobs at risk. The place seems empty as it is and labour is a real issue. I can't imagine loosing more labour will help anyone. I suppose the New Car business isn't the best to be in at a time like this.

raj
29-09-2008, 19:19
mods of my friends around are affected by it, my family have a private hire taxi buisness, which in turn is affected as less people have jobs to require taxis to get to etc etc.

i work in the building industry so yea im worried.

thats not good to hear:( ive been out of work for over a year now due to ill health.
im due to be doing my taxi test in a few weeks too to get back into work:(

Mike Wilson@ PCS
29-09-2008, 19:21
doesnt seem to have affected the trade im in , just stash all your money under the mattress safer than banks these days lol

car.crash
29-09-2008, 19:22
my firm deals with the rich and famous so you would think we would be fine, but we are certainly feeling the pinch as the rich are not spending their money either. i suppose even those that are loaded are stretching to pay for their huge houses.
me and the missus are looking to buy a house soon, if we get a big deposit then this whole crappy credit crunch might actually work in our favour. but i bet me car that it doesnt.

wrightygtt
29-09-2008, 19:54
Its definetely quiter out there in the car trade the last week or two, but in the last few days the phone hasn't stopped ringing, and are now booked up for the next 2/3 weeks, fcuk nows tbh, people say they've got no money but they still seem to find enough to plough into their cars... Not that I want to jinx it.:)

Ricardo
29-09-2008, 20:29
90% of my work is on new build houses, from the foundations right to the end. We have 2 new builds in the pipeline which is about 9+ months work and right this minute we've just started a 3 month roof conversion on a house 15 miles away. We're in the middle of pricing another 4 month roof conversion and in the last 3 weeks we've fitted a couple of kitchens. We've been doing new builds the last 5 years, the chap i work for buys plots of land and we build the house(s) we've always had work and touch wood it hasn't changed. Although i have heard that the builders merchants in the local area are suffering as other firms are drying up with work.

My only consolation is i rent a room with a friend in his house at the moment and it's fairly cheap every month opposed to some of you people paying mortgages with all the utilities, digital etc etc

Fingers crossed i'm ok for now but looking at the way the country is, it seems far worse than the recession of 1990

Bod
29-09-2008, 20:33
WE are busy luckily,im a sparks people arn,t moving and having loft conversions and extensions:)

Guybrush
29-09-2008, 20:35
I got turned down on a credit card a couple of months ago, which was a shock, as my credit rating is :agree:

My old man got made redundant (early retirement) from HBOS, after working there for the past 39 years. Which sucks. He's now got to get a small job to top up his pension for the next few years.

I decided to jack my job in, and now run my own company with a friend of mine... Great timing huh :laugh: We work in software development, and although landing a decent paying permanent job might be tricky there's pleanty of short term contract work around, so i'm not really too worried. :)

Gttnutter
29-09-2008, 22:24
it has been quiet in the last 2 weeks with me but me and the boss are now stacked up until christmas, He also needs to stop going on frigging holidays :rolleyes:

gttjames
29-09-2008, 23:22
My mum is out of a job shes been in for over 20 years, and my dad may also be out the job hes been in for over 20 years, he finds out friday.

I think im pretty safe at my work as i get paid the least and do the most work

Scoff
30-09-2008, 03:55
Its a real situation alright. My day job has quietened right off, no one having spare money to have things repaired. My part time car work has dried up completely, tuning cars is obviously the last thing in people's budget these days.

Regards mortgages, choice is limmited these days and anything less than 10% deposit and your asking to be shafted, or refused, which is what I'm having to deal with.

Os8472
30-09-2008, 07:51
I've noticed alot less little jobs coming in at work but the industrial side of things seems ok for the time being, our company currently is half way through a 6 month contract and has another 2 month 1 to start after that.

The private jobs on the side have gone completely though, less money to throw at the 5 :(

paul b
30-09-2008, 09:30
I've noticed alot less little jobs coming in at work but the industrial side of things seems ok for the time being, our company currently is half way through a 6 month contract and has another 2 month 1 to start after that.

The private jobs on the side have gone completely though, less money to throw at the 5 :(

thats worrying you can do "side" jobs when your a hit-man for MI5.........LOL....

on a serious note.....the motor trade is being hit very hard at the minute....
normal service has almost dried up anyway with 20,000 mile or 2 year servicing ...
we are mainly busy because of breakdowns ......becauae they have to repair the car or buy a new one....tough times ahead I think.

raj
30-09-2008, 10:22
shall we all move?...........................................ou t of the u.k :D

we could get david attenborough to narrate the migration of the rtoc herd :laugh:

paul b
30-09-2008, 10:24
you can just hear the faint whirring of perc fans as they all settle for the night, tomorrow they will be in search of the nearest ESSO watering hole....but as always the weakest will not make it..

raj
30-09-2008, 10:44
you can just hear the faint whirring of perc fans as they all settle for the night, tomorrow they will be in search of the nearest ESSO watering hole....but as always the weakest will not make it..

lmfao :laugh::laugh: :agree:

paul b
30-09-2008, 11:50
ah look, the lesser spotted Raider is making it's way to the pack leader....it's show's its door decal as a sign of power and tries to take control of the pack...

a 20 minute fierce battle ensues as the Glacier White Phase 2 shows that the Raider does not have the claimed 300BHP and blows his dump valve in retreat....

as the dust settles the Glacier White Phase 2 bed's down as the head of the pack once again, let's see if the upstart Campus tries it's luck tomorrow

BriC
30-09-2008, 12:34
:laugh::cry:

I've not really noticed a difference, although I'm a 19 year old CAD technician working for a Civil Engineering Consultant and I live at home :p.

My Dad works for Fortis Bank though, which I believe was possibly going to be bought by HSBC (He just left HSBC after 30 years of service to go to Fortis, so he would be working for HSBC whether he liked it or not :laugh:), so I don't know what's going to happen with that..

dave j gtt
30-09-2008, 16:14
doesnt seem to have affected the trade im in , just stash all your money under the mattress safer than banks these days lol

you could have another few
quid for a compansator to go under the mattress :confused:

Mike Wilson@ PCS
30-09-2008, 16:16
you could have another £20 quid for a compansator to go under the mattress :confused:

lol ,, are you needing it asap ??

dave j gtt
30-09-2008, 16:23
Its a real situation alright. My day job has quietened right off, no one having spare money to have things repaired. My part time car work has dried up completely, tuning cars is obviously the last thing in people's budget these days.

Regards mortgages, choice is limmited these days and anything less than 10% deposit and your asking to be shafted, or refused, which is what I'm having to deal with.

not funny i know mate, but you get your hands and work on peeps cars and there will always be work for you there. you legend 1/4 mile king ha

Adam L
30-09-2008, 18:47
I've had Halifax offering me credit cards for the last 6 months, which i've constantly refused, and I got given a larger interest accound 2 weeks ago:crap:. Mind you, I wasn't skint until I decided to buy a third car that broke the day I picked it up, then my daily driver started to fall apart the week after. I'm just a victim of coincidence, which is a ****.

Funnily, whith all the credit crunch malarky, a mate who does part time work for the old bill started a new job at a debt collecting company last week and pocketed £580 after tax for the 5 days...

Purple_rob
30-09-2008, 19:51
Currently I'm unaware of anyone being made redundent that I know and I work in an industry that has clients that needs the work administered.

Although I've got to admit I feel uneasy.

On another note (maybe a lighter one for some) I beleive we have more despencable wage that we make out. A lot of this year will be cutting back on the WANTS and not NEEDS.

Personally I'm really feeling the price rise as I have a 6 month old baby and a missus not currently in work. A mortgage to pay and a 5 to uphold :).

Anyone want to buy my MG ZR HEHE.

BTW - that was spot on Paul, I could actually imagine the legend David attenborough saying it LOL...

ROB C2GTT
30-09-2008, 21:46
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Things are getting much worse thats for sure. Im sure my job is safe and feel i have no worries really? My girlfriends place of work however im really not sure! My fingers are crossed tho as im taking ownership of my new house in about 2 weeks and then ill be stuck with a £1200+ a month mortguage plus bills! so really need us both in work. Really gonna need to be carefull with every penny. So if anyone wants to buy my 5 let me know cos ill prob say yes;)

5alldaway
02-10-2008, 00:31
working for toyota and they aint exactly selling alot of cars at the minute, so parts aint in demand at the min, but there have been quite a few lay off days/weeks