PDA

View Full Version : Phase 1 trim - plastic colours.

Sam Fish
04-11-2009, 11:07
Im after some perfect phase 1 plastic trim. I have most of it but its all different colours....

I have a NOS phase 1 bumper and have just bought the front arch trims from renault. Even they have come different colours as the plastics must be different ages. The bumper is the black-est. The sills and arches seem similar-ish.

What do you guys do about it?
I really really dont want to paint it with the textured bumper paint, although im sure it looks fine. I just want it like it was from the factory.
I have used some strong detergent on the plastic and that makes a difference. I could also use that trim-blackening gel, but that washes off after a few days.

It would look horrible with different shades of trim. Any ideas?

Also, if the plastic has scratches, how do I get them off... I cant, can I ????
Cheers
Sam

HaarlemPaul
04-11-2009, 12:01
I have a set of original phase 1 skirts and arches.
brand new, never used, never painted. could let em go for about 150 squid.

Sparkie
04-11-2009, 12:11
Im after some perfect phase 1 plastic trim. I have most of it but its all different colours....

I have a NOS phase 1 bumper and have just bought the front arch trims from renault. Even they have come different colours as the plastics must be different ages. The bumper is the black-est. The sills and arches seem similar-ish.

I really really dont want to paint it with the textured bumper paint, although im sure it looks fine. I just want it like it was from the factory.
I have used some strong detergent on the plastic and that makes a difference. I could also use that trim-blackening gel, but that washes off after a few days.

Cheers
Sam

you just have to keep them clean and keep using bumper gel on them.
if you scratch them, tough cheddar, you will have to bin them or see if a smart repair guy can fix it. - or repair and paint them as close a grey as possible.

rs250nut
04-11-2009, 12:14

Cheers
Sam

You dont need to use textured bumper paint to get an even black finish. Use some gray scotch brite with degreaser work it really well, then use some adhesion promoter plastic prrimer which has next to no build, let that tack off and get your self some satin black through a spray gun I would thin it right out so not to cover the texture, you could use satin black out of a can upol do a good one. Done well looks like a factory finish and wont peel off.

Sam Fish
04-11-2009, 13:04
I have a set of original phase 1 skirts and arches.
brand new, never used, never painted. could let em go for about 150 squid.

Is your set a uniform colour? how close? Thanks

sounds like I may have to do the deed and paint it. It seems the only way to get a uniform finish accross the trim. Buying new from renault doesnt get consistant shades.

Is it ultimately worth more with unpainted plastic?
Or will it be worth more with plastic (painted) that is exactly the same shade of gray/black? :scratch:
(the car is being rebuilt like new)

Sam Fish
04-11-2009, 13:06
Anybody got any pictures for my 'painted' verses 'unpainted' debate?
Thanks in advance.

J$£5GTT
04-11-2009, 16:33
wheres the 'M' ?,he done his phase 1 arches in some grey paint and i thought it looked very good,almost like new plastics,did not look painted at all...:agree:

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=51&pictureid=8475

HaarlemPaul
04-11-2009, 16:41
[quote=Sam Fish;110696]Is your set a uniform colour? how close? Thanks

of course it's uniform. It's all the same plastic, and has never been exposed to daylight. Only deviation would be batch to batch concerning production of the plastic pellets used in the injection moulding process. but even then I would be surprised if there was a noticeable difference.

scratcher
04-11-2009, 16:56
My trims were all different colours but I just used the Simoniz rub in stuff and it put it all the same colour. Lasts a good few washes and the rainy weather. The last time I used it was for national day and its still going strong..
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/SDC12164.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g319/pimpscratcher/SDC12188.jpg

Big Steve - Raider
04-11-2009, 17:01
Look at scratcher with his new bump strips! :niceone:

jesus in the seat of a 5
04-11-2009, 17:18
Look at scratcher with his new bump strips! :niceone:

:agree:..damn dem is sexy....:smokin:, where`s the orange indicators ....:D

Sam Fish
04-11-2009, 17:27
[quote=Sam Fish;110696]Is your set a uniform colour? how close? Thanks

of course it's uniform. It's all the same plastic, and has never been exposed to daylight. Only deviation would be batch to batch concerning production of the plastic pellets used in the injection moulding process. but even then I would be surprised if there was a noticeable difference.

I have ordered plastic from renault that has been very different in colour. I just ordered some front arches that look like they have been in the desert for 5 years. None of it should have ever seen daylight before, but yet its very different.
Maybe some warehouses are damaper :scratch: or something.

Is that what you used scratcher?
http://www.4wheelplay.co.uk/simoniz-back-black-look-bumper-shine-p-25002963.html

I found this on a website:
"I find black chrome and back to black ok on certain plastics, but not on others. Remember how the R5 plastic bumpers used to fade to light gray if shown more than 3 hours of daylight in any given year? Well the Halford stuff applied liberally and buffed in over several minutes followed by the Autoglym was the only approach that would get it black (well, dark grey) and keep it that way for a couple of months."

Anyone used something like this? permanent plastic dye..
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/forever-black-bumper-and-trim-cleaner-and-reconditioner.php

scratcher
04-11-2009, 17:50
:agree:..damn dem is sexy....:smokin:, where`s the orange indicators ....:D

I prefered the clear ones on the blue if I'm honest :scared::innocent:

This is the stuff Sam
http://www.gerris-online.co.uk/simoniz-bumper-black---500ml-672-p.asp

RoboEK
04-11-2009, 21:20
i used to use Auto glim Bumper care on my old phase 1 it stayed dark for ages, i havent had a chance to clean my new phase one but when i do i will be using this.

jesus in the seat of a 5
05-11-2009, 05:52
i used to use Auto glim Bumper care on my old phase 1 it stayed dark for ages, i havent had a chance to clean my new phase one but when i do i will be using this.

:agree:..i use it on all of my phase 1..its the biz me thinks...:agree:

Sparkie
05-11-2009, 08:48
:agree:..i use it on all of my phase 1..its the biz me thinks...:agree:

i used to use it on my ph 1 too. its pretty good!