PDA

View Full Version : apprenticeships

djinuk
03-11-2009, 14:11
just wondering if apprecticeships are only aimed at 16-19 year olds.

im 21 and currently im stuck in office spec work as its all ive ever done, but id like to get into a trade or somthing where at some point id be able to go about it alone and work for myself.

Electrician/plumber are two that spring to mind.

I think i could live on the £94 a week that you get wage wise (although it will be a bit difficult) just wondering if id be able to get a job doing it at my age.

Os8472
03-11-2009, 14:19
You can still get an apprenticeship after 19, we've got a guy at our place whos 32 and is in the second year of his apprenticeship as a sparkie.

Defo do it mate, get a trade uder your belt and even if you change your mind after your done you've still got a trade for life should you ever fancy a change.

I'm a sparkie and started back in 2000, qualified in 2004 and now the top sparkie on the firm, well apart from the boss

djinuk
03-11-2009, 14:27
sweet , im happy to hear that man..

ive got some form of construction experiance as ive worked in keystone lintels for 2 years and marley tiles for a year so at least i guess that would look well to some degree..

just gota see how readily available apprenticeships etc.

JRP
03-11-2009, 14:43
A law was passed about 3 years ago that companys cant have age restrictions on apprentice ages... which is good for all as it means companys will maybe be getting more mature students etc, that may stick with them once trained.

I could ramble on but wont

djinuk
03-11-2009, 14:54
i guess if they didnt want them though they would just offer them a silly low wage

James5
03-11-2009, 15:04
This is something I really want to do myself as I have been working within an office for the past 12 years and to be honest can't stand it.

I am 29 years old and really cannot take a pay cut to do an apprenticeship as my wage has to support 5 people (me + my partner + 3 x kids + baby on way) + the 5 and the every day car + house. So other than night school I am pretty much bum ****ed :(

Os8472
03-11-2009, 16:39
This is something I really want to do myself as I have been working within an office for the past 12 years and to be honest can't stand it.

I am 29 years old and really cannot take a pay cut to do an apprenticeship as my wage has to support 5 people (me + my partner + 3 x kids + baby on way) + the 5 and the every day car + house. So other than night school I am pretty much bum ****ed :(

Simples, pimp your wife out to make the extra cash :pimp:

phase i 16 v turbo
03-11-2009, 16:47
Always worth a look at government retraining schemes to give you an idea what is out there. Had a friend that left the forces and there was a huge selection.

mikey_r5gtt
03-11-2009, 17:48
Have you thought about joing the forces? it doesnt always mean going away from home. I get paid for doing sport every day and i'm not far off getting my degree in electronical engineering. People think its all about marching around and getting shouted at, trust me it isnt.

IvanClio172
03-11-2009, 20:12
im 36 and have gone back to college on an apprenticeship(i currently work in a garage and once a week do a day at my local college)learning to be a mot tester and learning to weld

gtmatt
03-11-2009, 20:22
best thing i did apprenticeship , did 4 years on day release , now im fully qualfied engineer.

i dnt see it to be a problem , not many tradesman left in the uk these days:)

J8TRO
03-11-2009, 22:34
As said above, apprenticeships don't have age limitations. Employers can actually claim back the majority of the cost of an apprentice from the government, so why more companies don't do it amazes me!

I did a 4 year apprenticeship out of school at 16 and it was bar far the best decision I made, my mates at the time thought i was stupid. however i now have my BEng Degree and 10 years experience in engineering and the construction industry.

In comparison, my elder bro went to college, then uni, got a degree in Sports science and now works as an Auditer for the local council :scratch::confused:. I don't think he enjoys it.

We have a couple of apprentices at my work training in carpentry. There are loads out there though depends what interests you?

Plumber
Heating & Cooling Engineer
Electrician
Carpenter

Its endless

TNT!hammond
03-11-2009, 23:01
no limits to age dj however u may find that the goverment wont give u funding this means u have to pay for yourself to go to college.

My apprentice is 5 years older than me lol and he has to pay for his own course as he is too old for a goverment grant. He is not directly employed by me as i dont want to do all the paperwork ,he is a subcontractor . He does 1 day a week at college and 4-5 at work. I think it was in the region of £1200 but once its done he will be a qualified carpenter so worth the money in the long run.

Os8472
04-11-2009, 08:02
As Hammond says, it'll cost abit at first but the long term advantages out way the cost, plus there's the lonely house wives that are very appricative

Chris Hebden
04-11-2009, 13:23
I started my second apprenticeship in Civil Engineering when i was 21yrs old and havent looked back. I am now (after 2yrs) a qualified engineer, starting my HNC at Coventry Uni all paid for by my employer.

We have just taken on 5more apprentices and there age range was 20yrs old to 38yrs old! Your never to old to start an apprenticeship and i personnaly think its the best way to learn :agree:! Good luck in finding something mate, soon the Government will be giving good encentives to employers to take on apprentices.

djinuk
04-11-2009, 14:29
Im really happy to hear the above and i spoke to the mrs etc last night and she agree's. If i keep doing what im doing im really not going to be happy. Me plan is to save save save for the moment, whilst looking for a employer to take me on, and im just uming and ariing on what to do, however a sparky does sound quite good to me, just wondering if they are becoming saturated now days as everybody seems to be doing it.

Really appreciate the words of wisdom/personal experiences and ill let you know what happens.

I may struggled to run the r5/205 gti6 whilst doing it though so im thinking a dirty diesal with a tow bar , and bring them down to mallory park etc that way. Cant miss out on the shows etc entirely.

AlexS
04-11-2009, 18:17
I've got two apprentices on my books at the moment, one is 21 the other 25 so you should have no problems. In fact, in my business I would rather employ older apprentices than school leavers. I find them more settled, punctual and less likely to drop out or bunk off when they should be in college.:dearme:

Go for it.:agree: