PDA

View Full Version : clio 1.8 16v

gtmatt
31-10-2009, 19:26
Right team ,due to my circumstances my clio 1.2 tce had to go.

So i am getting a clio 1.8 16v phase 1 .

As i am Renault mad this is the car i want.

I am going to look at one tomorrow as some members on here have had a few of these , i need some tips what to look out for on them problems etc etc engine problems ,common problems thanks matt:)

philr5t
31-10-2009, 19:30
i may have a williams mate if you would prefer how much you looking to spend

gtmatt
31-10-2009, 19:33
under a thousand mate:) so no williams:)

philr5t
31-10-2009, 19:38
would you pay a grand mate its 2 owners 90k from new its my mums but it has been stood for 2 years not sure if she would let it go for that but ill ask if your interested mate completely origional

gtmatt
31-10-2009, 19:46
would you pay a grand mate its 2 owners 90k from new its my mums but it has been stood for 2 years not sure if she would let it go for that but ill ask if your interested mate completely origional

yeah defo let me know mate , i am goin lookin at a few tomoz so sooner the better thanks .

gtmatt
31-10-2009, 21:17
any tips ??

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
31-10-2009, 21:24
Check rear arches for rot.....the big killer of 16v Clios
Check that the gearbox is SWEET!...the second biggest killer of 16v Clios.....
Check steering column for sloppy steering.....
Make sure if its a phase one, that the roof don't leak......
Make sure all the extra oil guages work......(level, temp and pressure).
Oil pressure cold should be 3 bars easily........
Make sure if its a phase two, that the all electrical gear works.......(roof, immobiliser).
Make sure the alarm works on a phase two........
Check any history for a cambelt change......don't trust an answer of 'yep it was changed recently' ask to see a recipt.......it's a c*nt of a job to do sometimes, especially if the aux. belt tensioner is seized up.......

gtmatt
31-10-2009, 21:27
thanks mate :)

gtmatt
04-11-2009, 19:11
Picked it up today few little probs with her rev counter does not work any tips with that needle does not move at all ,pass side window does not move ,where is oil filter located under Neath inlet ? ? Thanks matt

gtmatt
05-11-2009, 12:59
got a few other little things i thing its a 2l and not a 1.8 is there any dead giver ways that i can see if its a 2l or a 1.8 16v ,also the above comment rev counter ??

got its mot on monday so fingers crossed:)

BigWilly425
05-11-2009, 13:30
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

exhaust manifold is different on the 1.8 to the 2.0 - do you have a picture?, there should also be a white dot on the dipstick on the 2.0... the 2.0 only revs to 6,500rpm before the limiter kicks in (unless it's chipped), the 1.8 revs to 7,000rpm. You should also be able to tell when you drive, the 2.0 has much more torque so should pull well from low revs, the 1.8 is flat as a fart untill the high end of the rev range...

otherwise, keys points have already been discussed - bodywork, 'box, electrics and cambelt

gtmatt
05-11-2009, 14:11
will try and get a picture this weekend whats the difference on the exhaust manifold ??

any idea on faulty rev counter ??

thanks matt

BigWilly425
05-11-2009, 14:27
the 2.0 manifold is just tubular, the 1.8 has ridges on it and the way the pipes feed into the downpipe are different

with the rev counter, it's more than likely the unit itself, so pick up some second-hand clocks or it could be a faulty transistor on the PCB behind the counter, replace it with a BC639 type from Maplin electronics if your handy with a soldering iron!

Rob@Backyardracing
05-11-2009, 23:39
will try and get a picture this weekend whats the difference on the exhaust manifold ??

any idea on faulty rev counter ??

thanks matt

Matt speedo is cable driven aswell dont forget.... pop over with it soon mate, ill do the cam belt and help you out... :agree:

Maka
06-11-2009, 09:37
could be a 2lt lump running a 1.8 manifold as i have that set up in my R19.
best give away would be the oil dipstick, will be yellow with a white dot.
it could also be running the 16v ecu so therefore pulling to over 7k rpm (ahem!!!)
only thing i can think of which may give it away is oil cooler which is located behind the oil filter, near the radiator.
but then they could of taken that off like i have.

if youve driven an f7p (1.8) engined car before you will be able to feel the difference in power delivery with the F7R lump. power band comes on early. the F7P doesnt fire up till past 4k rpm then it feels like crap. hate the F7P with a passion.

the 2lt manfold is a 4 branch into 1 effort. quite a looker.
the 1.8lt manifold is just a thickcast jobbie, doesnt look special.

Bigfoot
06-11-2009, 10:19
I have had two renault 19s, my convertible pulls from 3k on, damn heavy though for a car of that size but pulls lovely and does 110 with the roof down :cool: autobahn is great :D

My other one pulled from very low down, but was an ex-bb performance car which had a few trick parts added to the engine, miss that car though was great fun to drive.

Easiest way to check is find the engine plate, it will say F7R or F7P at the beginning. what some people have done though is use an F7P bottom end and put the normal head on the block. Easy to get hold of the megane lump cheap rather than the williams, but megane hasn't got a distributor so more trouble than its worth trying to put the whole lump in the car.

gtmatt
06-11-2009, 13:02
thanks for all the input guys get help :)

dale thanks for that but where would i find the engine plate thanks again matt

Bigfoot
06-11-2009, 13:59
thanks for all the input guys get help :)

dale thanks for that but where would i find the engine plate thanks again matt

Front of engine block on right hand side. Think it was near the bottom. Dont know how much space you will have with radiator there but with a light and a mirror you maybe able to work it out from there.

Nick k
08-11-2009, 19:46
Easy to get hold of the megane lump cheap rather than the williams, but megane hasn't got a distributor so more trouble than its worth trying to put the whole lump in the car.[/quote]

Im in the process of doing the megane 2.0 conversion at present, just working out the wiring diagrams between the F7P clio and the F7R megane, Trying to find a F7P engine wiring diagram on the net :cry:

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 18:37
hi guys cnt load picsu yet camera is playing up , cnt get rad fan to work does any 1 know where the relay is for it ,checked fan switch and motor etc:)

mr white
09-11-2009, 19:25
thers a fuse for it up in the bulkhead area and the relay is in the black wiring box on the passenger side wing near battery :)

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 20:27
thanks mate:)

mr white
09-11-2009, 20:42
Is It Working Yet:)

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 20:49
the car or fan mate , the car is running lol , but not the fan till tomoz , gotta clean icv out as well idle is bad , plus i need an airbox as k&n is blocked ,

can you help on any bits or where to get them from thanks matt:)

Fishey
09-11-2009, 20:53

I have a k&n induction kit if you want it? Is in good condition, i have put a standard airbox on mine.

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 21:21
need a standard air box on mine as well , cnt find 1 any where , and a front wiper linkage:) parts are hard to find on these:)

Fishey
09-11-2009, 21:26

I have a linkage with a single wiper conversion, dunno if the linkage is any different, i will have a look for you. Also if you go to clio16valver.co.uk there is usually plenty of people breaking them. There is a guy called mat brown on there who seems to always have a supply of them being broken.

mr white
09-11-2009, 21:29
ive got a standard box but ive used the metal plate out of it to fit my induction kit diy style ive got a brandnew air filter for a standard box sitting here aswell but its no going to be any good to you ive a clio 16v breaking for parts but most engine bits are now in my 5 :) and runs lovley ive cut ot the crossmember and fliped the 5 rad upside down to fit and theres loads of room, the air filter sits right in the flow of air from grill with low temp stat it only gets just above one line on clio clocks.if you need and other bits ;)

Fishey
09-11-2009, 21:34

What colour is the shell your braking mr white?

gtmatt
09-11-2009, 21:35
thanks guys will look into that web site ,thanks again matt , no dobt i will be asking more questions lol:)

mr white
10-11-2009, 08:21
449 sports blue
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=790&pictureid=8741

gtmatt
10-11-2009, 09:53
Hi mate u wna sell 1 wing mirror or the pair need a pass side thanks matt

mr white
10-11-2009, 13:20
il sell the pair if you want them they are heated and electric £25 for both:agree: fair