PDA

View Full Version : Anyone taken a 172 Gearbox out of a Clio??

Big Steve - Raider
30-10-2009, 17:10
Millie's Clio 172 has developed a 3rd Gear Synchromesh issue and I can forsee i'm going to have to hoik the gearbox out & get it repaired??

Anyone on here ever taken a gearbox out a Clio 172 before?

I've read as much as I can on Cliosport without paying for it :cooter: and can see that it is possible to drop the nearside subframe slightly then slide it out the side somehow but i reckon that wouldn't be that easy at home on a couple of axle stands :(

Any ideas peeps?!

Or indeed any offers for doing the work?? :D

Bigfoot
30-10-2009, 17:48
Haven't done it on the 172 but im sure its not far off doing the same with the renault 19 16v box. Slide it between the subframe and the chassis rail. I just undid the steering rack/column. removed driveshafts, undone the OS bolts slightly to allow it to lower the NS part of the subframe. remember to remove the gear selector as well, nearly forgot that :ashamed:

Big Steve - Raider
30-10-2009, 18:00
Haven't done it on the 172 but im sure its not far off doing the same with the renault 19 16v box. Slide it between the subframe and the chassis rail. I just undid the steering rack/column. removed driveshafts, undone the OS bolts slightly to allow it to lower the NS part of the subframe. remember to remove the gear selector as well, nearly forgot that :ashamed:

Did you do that crawling about the floor on a pair of axle stands or did you have access to a lift?

Bigfoot
30-10-2009, 18:18
Did you do that crawling about the floor on a pair of axle stands or did you have access to a lift?

A lift in the front driveway :laugh: that would be nice, axle stands and two trolley jacks :) just lots of swearing when the gearbox wouldn't lign up when putting it back in.

Adey aka Ewok
30-10-2009, 18:24
theres next to no space in the bay for anything in them, changing the clutch on mine was a pain, got about 2.5inch space between the box and the engine and that was with the subframe dropped. id say lift the whole lot out for ease

Big Steve - Raider
30-10-2009, 18:32
Was hoping to do it without taking the Engine out :cry: :dearme:

Ashy
30-10-2009, 21:27
Was hoping to do it without taking the Engine out :cry: :dearme:

Yeah you can do it without removing the engine. Best way to do it is get an engine support bar like THIS (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cec500-enginegearbox-support) that way you can support the full engine whilst you drop the subframe off. Then the gear box will drop out from underneath. I did this on the 182 it seems like a right fcuk on at first but in the long run it saves so much time plus you dont have to degass the aircon etc.

nath17t
30-10-2009, 21:45
iv done a thew and the best way to do them is to drop the sub fram out the way thay arnt that bad to take of and makes getting the box out easy

BigWilly425
05-11-2009, 13:34
sell the car????:cry:

Bigfoot
05-11-2009, 14:09
Yeah you can do it without removing the engine. Best way to do it is get an engine support bar like THIS (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cec500-enginegearbox-support) that way you can support the full engine whilst you drop the subframe off. Then the gear box will drop out from underneath. I did this on the 182 it seems like a right fcuk on at first but in the long run it saves so much time plus you dont have to degass the aircon etc.

How do those support beams work, our company is selling them on eBay at £50 a pop as they are old stock.

Ashy
05-11-2009, 22:27
They just sit on the top of the inner wing or bonnet shuts and then straddle over the top of the engine. You then sling the engine to it and take the slack up on the hook and it supports the engines weight whilst you whip the subframe off... Usefull tool for £50.00 post the link ;)

Bigfoot
05-11-2009, 22:52
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Engine-support-beam_W0QQitemZ120485636850QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_3?hash=item1c0d80eaf2

thinking about it, might not be one which supports on the engine bay, but has the blocks there to support so could be. We got two more of those in stock which will more than likely go for £50 as well.

Ricardo
10-11-2009, 18:04
After much umin and aaarrrin i've finally decided (11 months!!) to get Rick (ex BB mech) to do it for me at a cost of £250

Big Steve - Raider
10-11-2009, 18:07
Does that include fixing the Effin thing??

Ricardo
10-11-2009, 19:24
Does that include fixing the Effin thing??

Nope, i'm supplying him a JC5 gearbox from a Williams Clio which cost me £120, cheaper than a gearbox rebuild/repair i guess.

I might have the 172 box rebuilt or weigh it in for scrap money