PDA

View Full Version : sill replacment , to cheap to be true?

djinuk
29-10-2009, 09:10
I got a quote to have 2 sills replaced on my r5 gt (with me supplying sills) and also painting inside the door shut and anywhere else needed (me supplying paint)

I have been quoted £160, however it just seems a very cheap price for a bodyshop to quote , and its made me a little nervous, ill be making sure they cut the old sill of and dont weld the new one straight over the top but would you be nervous ?

Chris Hebden
29-10-2009, 09:45
I got a quote to have 2 sills replaced on my r5 gt (with me supplying sills) and also painting inside the door shut and anywhere else needed (me supplying paint)

I have been quoted £160, however it just seems a very cheap price for a bodyshop to quote , and its made me a little nervous, ill be making sure they cut the old sill of and dont weld the new one straight over the top but would you be nervous ?

I got quoted £50 a sill, supplied, painted and fitted! Is it from a well known garage?

djinuk
29-10-2009, 09:59
not a garage , a bodyshop rather, £50 a sill that seems excessively cheap :S

Kenobi
29-10-2009, 10:59
Maybe the economic climate has finally reached bodyshops?

Spooky
29-10-2009, 11:31
I'm getting mine done around mot time, which is april/may.

I've been quoted approx 300-350 quid for both sills and all 4 jacking points. There are little bits here and there that I want done but I'm not complaining about that.

They wont be painted as the car will be resprayed after the major metal work is done :D

Can't wait :smokin:

stuTHC
29-10-2009, 11:42
£160 sounds about right. Pattern sills are about £26 each, 20 quids worth of paint and about 3 hours labour

djinuk
29-10-2009, 12:06
are you sure it would only take 3 hours labour man, ive done a fair amount of bodywork in the past on cars and feel that to

*cut existing sills of and clean up any metal
line up and weld new sills into the rear 1/4 and along the door shut, paint inside the door shut and fill/prep and paint the sill and blow it into the rear 1/4 on both sides seems quite a bit of work really. obviosuly thats without messing aroudn with all the trim etc.

Mike Wilson@ PCS
29-10-2009, 12:11
160 for both sills to be done properly is to cheap ,, more like 150 + each sill ( thats what i charge min at the paintshop),, there is alot off work putting the sill on properly and repairing the metal around the sill if needed ,,

djinuk
29-10-2009, 12:13
hmm thought as much, remember thats only labour aswell though, im supplying all parts, paint/sills.

original bodyshop quoted £400 for both fitted.

djinuk
29-10-2009, 12:15
just reading this thread its scary how the price that peolpe are getting/or are being quoted varies so so much.

Brigsy
29-10-2009, 12:18
That price seems very cheap to me, unless you know the garage will do a good job id give it a miss.

For a proper job you probably wont see much change out of £400 imo.

djinuk
29-10-2009, 12:32
That price seems very cheap to me, unless you know the garage will do a good job id give it a miss.

For a proper job you probably wont see much change out of £400 imo.

well i thought that , but then again ill be dropping the car off with paint, a pair of sills , no kit, and all they need to do is weld them on and paint, ill be refitting all the kit etc so i guess the £160 is pure labour.

ive seen work they have done before and ive been really impressed to be fair. I saw a cheap respray they knocked out a corsa in silver and dark graphite grey they charged teh lad £800 and it came out really tidy to be fair.

James5
29-10-2009, 12:42
That is very cheap, on my previous GTT I had both inner and outer sills replaced and i supplied the new outer sills for just under £500.00 and that didn't include any Spraying.

Sy5GTT
29-10-2009, 13:23
I had mine done 2 years ago. I supplied the sills and new clips/rivets. £550 all in.

jonnyshaw49
30-10-2009, 16:36
hi mate i had mine done a few months ago i had inner and outer sills done new wheel arches new jacking points new bumper mounts on the corners,undersealed and primed ready for paint cost me £750 for labour and i provided the sills but its a mint job the guy restores old ferraris, jags,tvrs,aston martins etc