PDA

View Full Version : My Turbo is getting so hot so quick

andyrock51
26-10-2009, 16:09
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I was hoping someone could help me out. I brought my R5 a while ago now and have finished getting the engine ready to start up. When I started it up I noticed that the turbo is getting that hot you can see the smoke coming off it, It isn't chucking any smoke out of the exhaust. I have tried this a few times just to make sure that there is nothing coming out of exhaust but every time it is running the turbo is getting that hot. I did wonder if it could be the cooling to the turbo, there is no play in the turbo's shaft. Has anyone had this problem with their car, please help me out. Thanks.

BriC
26-10-2009, 16:12
The smoke is just coming off it? Have you maybe spilt something on / around the turbo, and it's just burning off? I've done it a few times..

andyrock51
26-10-2009, 16:14

I thought that so I thought that eventually it would stop doing it. but it doesn't. should I just run it up for a longer period?

BriC
26-10-2009, 16:18
How long did you leave it running for?

James5
26-10-2009, 16:18
Just take it for a good thrashing and it will soon burn it off, could always be a slight leak in the exhaust mating joints

Mart
26-10-2009, 16:20
Probably just a bit of dampness burning off; wouldn't worry about it. They do get bloody hot fairly quick, so wouldn't worry there either.

andyrock51
26-10-2009, 16:20

It was running for twenty minutes today, temp in car was normal, but still smoking bad,

BriC
26-10-2009, 16:22
Like James said - take it for a thrashing (maybe take a fire extinguisher too if you're nervous :D)

James5
26-10-2009, 16:24

It was running for twenty minutes today, temp in car was normal, but still smoking bad,

Is it coming from the exhaust housing bolts, manifold mating face, mating faces?? sounds just like exhaust fumes to me or as stated above by Bric, Mart and myself just moisture / oil burning off.

Take it for a long drive and see if it goes away

andyrock51
26-10-2009, 16:25

I'll do that, definately take the fire extiguisher though, I have spent a lot of money under that bonnet. :rolleyes:

Mart
26-10-2009, 16:28
You own an Evo (well, I assume that's the case, going from your profile pic'), and you complain about paying out on gtt engine components?!

:D

andyrock51
26-10-2009, 16:31

Sold the evo a few months ago now but until I have the Renault all ready to go that picture will have to do. Your right though, it was an expensive hobby.:)

Mart
26-10-2009, 16:41
Aii, it never ceases to amaze me how stupidly extortionate some of the engine/tuning parts are for the Evo.

Reminds of the very early gtt scene whereby the tuners back then were ripping off punters with crazy inflated mark-up prices, hence more & more people then started getting on the diy/PMT band-wagon.

Too many egos on the MLR though for that scenario to pan out there as well...

royz
26-10-2009, 19:31
is the oil pipe tight that feeds oil to the turbo. as a slight seep of oil will burn off with no sign of a leak. start up and after a few mins turn off and check around the nut

car.crash
26-10-2009, 19:38
my turbo hits around 300 degrees within no time whilst its idling on the drive.

andyrock51
27-10-2009, 16:34

It is seeping, from the oil journal above the turbo, can anyone tell me if when the thredded adapter nut for an uprated oil pipe is removed and you look down into the hole it seems that the adapter nut presses down when tightend in to then seperate the oil and water. just don't want to over tighten it.