PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Ish
25-10-2009, 23:00
Ok I have never had so many problems with a car! My car recently went to the mechanic to have a few jobs fixed, but he was taking the piss. 3 weeks and hardly any work done to the car, so I asked for it back because I was going to loose my job over it. Now I have it back, all of a sudden it wont go into gear at all, I have to smash it into 1st. The brakes are also soft all of a sudden and hardly any response when I press them. I went out for a drive in it anyway and my brand new fan belt came off? When I got home the car was pissing out steam from the engine becuase of this :disagree: When I turn a corner and the steering wheel is fully turned I hear a little grinding sound. I cant understand whats happening :cry: The work he actually got done was new clutch cable and throttle cable, new alternator and fan belt. He found alot of wires that dont do anything or he doesnt know what they do. Are there any good mechanics (maybe for renaults) around sheffield that anyone knows of? Or can anyone suggest what I can do to fix my problems?

Thanks

gttjames
25-10-2009, 23:38
Most gtt's have been played around with so there is a possibility that some of the wires dont do anything (could be for the anti perc fan and been removed for example)

With the clutch cable, sounds to me as though its been incorectly routed, or the adjuster/quadrant on the pedal has broke/not been adjusted so you havnt got a full good pedal.

Yep if the alternator belt came off it would cause it to overheat as it turns the water pump. There should be a little bracket that stops the belt from popping off just before the water pump pulley wheel

Trevhib
26-10-2009, 09:56
Oh boy.

Sell it for something similar to what you paid and be thankful it hasn't cost you everything, perhaps.

I can't believe you went and bought a GTT that immediately needed work after the conversation about finances and experience: http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=10247

The smart thing would have been to have asked here first for advice on mechanics close to Sheffield before taking your car to the 'local' and getting stiffed.

The advice is still the same, though I'm unable to answer the question. I would be tempted to take the car to Birmingham and pay Sparkie, if he were willing to take it on.

So, how much was the insurance in the end then as you never did say?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=10692

Ish
26-10-2009, 10:53
Insurance is just over 2k

The car seemed all fine when I got it, but when it got home all these problems came up. :disagree:

Trevhib
26-10-2009, 11:05
Gear change issue might be that the gear selector rod has been messed with, knocked etc, and simply needs readjustment.

Brakes might just need bleeding if they've been faffed with.

Fan belt might be the wrong one (easy to make this mistake and results in the belt coming off), or just that the alternator wasn't adjusted properly.

Have the throttle and clutch cables been replaced successfully?

'All these' problems might not be 'all that' tbh. You just need to borrrow a bit more money to get it right. That is until the next simple little thing pops up and requires more of the same.

Given what these issues are, it might be worth trying to get a Sheffield member over to have a quick look in excahnge for a beer.

Ish
26-10-2009, 12:00
Anyone from sheffield on here? :p

Just went back to the mechanic about the problems and he said he hasnt got the time to fix them.

Anyone know what the grinding could be when I turn corners?

gttjames
26-10-2009, 12:37
Anyone from sheffield on here? :p

Just went back to the mechanic about the problems and he said he hasnt got the time to fix them.

Anyone know what the grinding could be when I turn corners?
so he had the time to take your money and mess up your car? sounds about right these days

BriC
26-10-2009, 12:51
Mechanics / Garages = don't bother. Tool kit - £150, Haynes manual - £10, All the knowledge you'll ever need - £25 (I think that's what membership is these days!?)

When I was 17, I didn't know anything about the mechanics of cars. The most I could do was take a wheel off. Now I've stripped a GTT to a rolling shell, and nearly finished rebuilding it. I've changed a headgasket (with the help of my Dad), serviced my cars, changed coolant multiple times, replaced ancillaries, changed a clutch, etc.. I'm now 20.

I know you may think 'where do I begin though', but honestly - these cars are so simple!

Trevhib
26-10-2009, 13:17
Just went back to the mechanic about the problems

FFS. :brickwall:

You were going to ask him to touch your car again? :sad2:

Btw, I just thought about what else the gear selection problem might be, given what you've had replaced, but I can't be bothered to type it out.

Meh.

Chris Hebden
26-10-2009, 14:17
Trev, we all got to start from somewhere mate. If some people want to learn the hard way then so be it, in some instances i believe that it is a better way to learn as you will NEVER (i hope) make the same mistake again!

Would like to reiterate all the points being made, dont go to the garage again, get a clued up member to walk/talk through the problems with the car and get them sorted that way, with yourself getting involved at every chance! These cars a relatively cheap to fix, you just have to have some knowledge and this is where the members on here come into it! Best of luck with it Michael!

Ish
26-10-2009, 14:34
I went back to the mechanic because he claimed to have fixed problems but only made the car worse. Was hoping to get him to fix his mistakes at least but Im not taking it to him now.

JRP
26-10-2009, 14:41
I went back to the mechanic because he claimed to have fixed problems but only made the car worse. Was hoping to get him to fix his mistakes at least but Im not taking it to him now.

Ile be in shefield on tuesday 10th if you still have issues

Trevhib
26-10-2009, 14:48
You're right Chris. I just struggle when people ask and don't listen and then ask again. What's the point in asking?

Good luck anyway lad.

Ish
26-10-2009, 15:52
Can anyone tell me how I would go about fixing the gearing problem? If I could do it myself? Is it most likely a clutch fault or is the gear lever out of adjustment after having the clutch cable replaced?

Thanks

Chris Hebden
26-10-2009, 16:27
Have a read here mate http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4798 this is how to adjust your gear linkage its a good place to start BUT it is alot easier with two people!

You're right Chris. I just struggle when people ask and don't listen and then ask again. What's the point in asking?

Good luck anyway lad.

Yea can understand that completely, it is an absolute pain, i just hope one day it'll sink in (thats not aimed at you Michael)

stuTHC
26-10-2009, 16:47
If the so called mechanic fitted a new clutch cable he wont have touched the gear linkage, so take it that that is okay, adjusting it is just gunna add to the problem. Clutch cable not routed correctly, or quadrant, as stated above, check those first, seen as that will have been off.

Ish
26-10-2009, 17:08
If the so called mechanic fitted a new clutch cable he wont have touched the gear linkage, so take it that that is okay, adjusting it is just gunna add to the problem. Clutch cable not routed correctly, or quadrant, as stated above, check those first, seen as that will have been off.

But Im basically dumb when it comes to this kind of stuff. I dont know how it is supposed to be routed. I will look into it. Thanks for all the help :agree:

stuTHC
26-10-2009, 17:13
Where abouts in Sheffield are you?

Ish
26-10-2009, 17:27
Where abouts in Sheffield are you?

Killamarsh, a small town the southern border of sheffield

Trevhib
26-10-2009, 18:02

My thoughts exactly.

Although that said, fitting throttle and clutch cables, alternator and a belt wont have touched the brakes, but there's seemingly a problem there now too, thanks to a pikey mechanic.

JRP
27-10-2009, 01:28
Ile be in shefield on tuesday 10th if you still have issues

Now the monday as well... pm if you require help ile try make time

Ish
27-10-2009, 19:32
Thanks JRP, I'll let u no in a few days if I still need help, I put the old alternator back on cuz it works, and a new fan belt, all seemed ok for a minute, then I took the oil cap off and the engine started steamin quite bad, turned the engine off and I have left it since, what could that mean?

CHUNK The Goonies
28-10-2009, 11:23
Can anyone tell me how I would go about fixing the gearing problem? If I could do it myself? Is it most likely a clutch fault or is the gear lever out of adjustment after having the clutch cable replaced?

Thanks

it could be as simple as the clutch cable is not the original one ie a copy, theyare slightly longer. try and put some washers on the end of the cable at clutch arm end and adjust it up if needs be. if not that then look at the gear rod see if the numb cxxt has bent it or not fit it properly. the jobs on your car are simple really so just ask a club member to have a look at it . buiscuits and few tinnys should do.
Rule no 1 never take 5,s to a mechanic:)