PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts

TrixNFlix
20-10-2009, 19:36
When to visit my car for the first time in 2 months. Battery was dead, anyways managed to get into it and attached another battery to it. First turn and it started , whey i thought. The carb is dechoked and has also had the choke spindle removed, so had to rev it to 2000 revs just for a minute, then it idled perfectly on its own round the 900 mark. At startup the oil pressure is 45 psi. This is constant untill the engine has warmed up untill the fan kicks in and goes down to 40 while the fan is on. Left idleing for another 20 mins the pressure stays at a constant 25 psi down to 20 when the fan kicks in. It then doesn't drop any more. This engine has had new oil pump internals, new shells, new pistons, liners and rings. Everything has been chemicaly cleaned and had all new seals and a head skim and pressure test. Head is 72.5mm. This engine has done 60 miles before headgasket popped , due to fueling or badly fitted headgasket, not sure which. New headgasket was put on and its just been sat for 4 months, every now and then i start it up and it just idles for 40 mins. Also a bit of oil seems to come out of the exhaust mixed with condensation, but this could well be from the headgasket popping last time. What do you reckon guys?

TrixNFlix
20-10-2009, 21:34
No ideas from anyone? :confused:

Gttnutter
20-10-2009, 21:43
instead of sitting there on idle for a length of time ...take it for a drive, blow the cobwebs from it and see how it is then

Likly to be old mix just sitting in the exhaust system maybe??

stuTHC
20-10-2009, 21:56
oil pressure seems fine, maybe a touch low but fine. If you blip the throttle to 3000rpm ish does it rise from 20 to 30 bar then settle at 20 again?
Smoke/steam from exhaust is difficult to say without seeing or smelling it. As said, take it for a drive for an hour or so and see if it clears.

J$£5GTT
20-10-2009, 22:19
instead of sitting there on idle for a length of time ...take it for a drive, blow the cobwebs from it and see how it is then

Likly to be old mix just sitting in the exhaust system maybe??

agree,you not really doing it any favours by letting it sit an idle for 40mins really..car or bike...

TrixNFlix
20-10-2009, 22:30
oil pressure seems fine, maybe a touch low but fine. If you blip the throttle to 3000rpm ish does it rise from 20 to 30 bar then settle at 20 again?
Smoke/steam from exhaust is difficult to say without seeing or smelling it. As said, take it for a drive for an hour or so and see if it clears.

Settles on idle at 25 only drops 5 psi when the fan comes on , yeah whatever the reading it rises up 15 psi with the revs above 3000.

TrixNFlix
20-10-2009, 22:31
agree,you not really doing it any favours by letting it sit an idle for 40mins really..car or bike...

Its either that or not start the car for 5 months as its 25 miles away.

J$£5GTT
20-10-2009, 22:36
Its either that or not start the car for 5 months as its 25 miles away.

i left a previous 5 of mine in a garage for 8 mths when i went away once,battery was charged up when i got back,few splutters an it started fine...

markey b
21-10-2009, 20:08
i left a previous 5 of mine in a garage for 8 mths when i went away once,battery was charged up when i got back,few splutters an it started fine...

same here, mine was put away last sept and fired it up this april with a few turns over without king lead on, and the put it back and a few pumps of the gas it was fine :)