PDA

View Full Version : one thing after another

Shakes
19-10-2009, 19:56
ok got the 5 started woopy!! then noticed the clutch isnt working turns out to be a small round plastic part missing near the arm so things were looking good drove it for a bit then noticed the fan wasnt kicking in, wasnt connected, i plugged the 2 wires in and great its working i drove it about a mile home and something has killed the battery drained all power could the wires on the fan bein plugged in the wrong way of caused this?? or what else could it be? any help here would be great thanx :agree:

Shakes
19-10-2009, 20:41
nvm think i found the problem, must have nocked the earth of the altinator, put it back on now, just gotta wait for the battery to get sum charge & hopefully all will be sorted:coffee:

J$£5GTT
19-10-2009, 20:54
5's......can you handle the heat....:p:cooter:

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-10-2009, 21:01
5's......can you handle the heat....:p:cooter:

if you cant then start the bitchin.....:laugh:...:wasntme:

jonnyshaw49
19-10-2009, 21:10
i am thinkin the same at the moment carb needed rebuilding then central locking stopped and windows, then fuel pump started going on its own with car off, went to pull ht lead off and it fell in bits, now car wont start lol, nearly hit it with the biggest hammer i could find but couldnt find one lol and have spent 5 grand on it

dave j gtt
19-10-2009, 21:32
keep the faith, and dont give in.;)

Shakes
20-10-2009, 19:09
now im really peed off yet another problem, the car was driving fine all last night and most of today, i just got in it to take it for a spin i got half way up the road it started spluttering then just died, i left it for 5 mins or so turned it over it idled fine for about 30seconds then just cuts out, everytime i turn it over it seems to do the same just idle for a few seconds then cuts out...:brickwall::brickwall:
im seriously getting pissed off now please help

Os8472
20-10-2009, 19:15
"Cough" petrol "Cough"

as in put some in the tank

markey b
20-10-2009, 19:29
now im really peed off yet another problem, the car was driving fine all last night and most of today, i just got in it to take it for a spin i got half way up the road it started spluttering then just died, i left it for 5 mins or so turned it over it idled fine for about 30seconds then just cuts out, everytime i turn it over it seems to do the same just idle for a few seconds then cuts out...:brickwall::brickwall:
im seriously getting pissed off now please help

i had this problem... it was crap in the carb needle jet! it would fill the bowl on the fuel pump but running the engine would use it quicker than it could be put in, so it would run for a few secs then die.

worth taking off carbtop and fuel inlet off carb, and blowing it out, then off with carb top and unscrew needle valve and make sure there is no crap in there

Nayls
20-10-2009, 23:08
luke,make sure the plug is on the top of the alternator,has 2 wires going to it,it may just be wires & no plug now.

the spluttering,as mentioned remove the idle jet,there's probably some crap on the end,i usually blow in to the carb body too.

give that a whirl & let us know.

Shakes
23-10-2009, 14:10
ok thanks for the responce, ive tryed it and still no luck, it will tick over fine and rev up fine, the problem is when i take it for a drive i give it a little bit of gas and it splutters like mad pulling back and foward then just dies, when i go to turn it over again it fires up idles for about 4 seconds and then conks out, after about half hour it starts again and ticks over, any ideas guys this is driving me crazy, as it only conks out when driving it which means i keep breaking down half the way up the road, and half the time im stuck blocking of the road :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brick wall:

markey b
23-10-2009, 14:33
have you checked the needle valve for ****, and in between the union for the fuel into the carb and the needle valve?

markey b
23-10-2009, 14:34
if it does it under load, maybe its timing?

James5
23-10-2009, 14:48
If you keep you foot on the gas pedal keeping the revs at 2kish rpm does it want to cut out??

I bet it's carb related, air leak, blockage, time for a new gasket set, Carb base problem

Shakes
23-10-2009, 15:26
it does just cut even when reved right up it will reach around 2-3k and just die

Shakes
23-10-2009, 15:31
got the carb off now, i noticed the mixture screw was done right up i could see the bottem of it comming through the carb about 4mm and when i unscrew it from the top the needle at the bottem isnt moving cant get it out at all, so ive changed the base with one i had laying around, took the jets out gave emm a clean, its all back together now, gunna pop it back on and give it a try..... fingers crossed.

Shakes
23-10-2009, 15:54
Noooo Nooo No No No...im gunna take a lump hammer to this in miniute!!!, carbs back on and its just firing up then immediatly cutting out, even at high revs it just dies :confused:

Sy5GTT
23-10-2009, 16:09
Undo the mixture screw about 5 turns. Try again.

Shakes
23-10-2009, 16:38
thanx sy its running and actually made round 2 whole blocks was a poping a bit (backfire) gunna have to get the mixture right. well got back litery round the cornor from my house, and the temp shot right up and battery light came on. i thought fook this left it there and stormed home salking, :cry: but now ive had a nice cuppa coffee and a custard cream, im guessing the altanator belt has either come lose or snapped so ill go sort in a sec :coffee:

Kris M
23-10-2009, 18:45
yup, bet your alt belt has come off. Get yourself a nice O.E one and jobs a gudden :)

Sy5GTT
23-10-2009, 18:53
Might be worth blasting some carb cleaner down the hole (mixture screw). And a new belt :agree:

Shakes
23-10-2009, 19:07
grrrrrrr >,< after driving it thinking great its sorted just needs belt put back on, which i put it back on that was simple, but then i try start it and it fires up and cuts straight out, i found if i hold the key once its fired up it will run, i held the key not fully on but just a touch and drove it home. as soon as i let go of the key it cuts out...what u think dodgy wireing around the ignnition barral?? its just one thing after another atm :mad::mad::mad:

Spooky
23-10-2009, 19:29
idle jet blockage...

big brass 'screw' on drivers side of carb...pull the bitch out and blow through it...it may take a few goes to get her to idle proper :)

Sy5GTT
23-10-2009, 20:14
Where about's in Bristol are you?

Shakes
23-10-2009, 20:35
cleaned that screw a thousand times, and changed it over. it idles when i hold the key though.
im in fishponds bristol buddy

rs250nut
24-10-2009, 09:48
Take the plug off the back of the ignition barrel and make up some wires with a few spades on then hot wire it, then you will know if the barrel is fcuked then.

Shakes
24-10-2009, 10:10
i dont know how to hot wire it buddy :confused:

Nayls
24-10-2009, 10:36
surely if the wiring was shot it would'nt continus to turn over????

fuel relay ok?

Shakes
24-10-2009, 10:40
hey garry, yea im sure the fuel relys ok, infact the car cuts out then i hear the fuel pump turn off a second after, and if i hold the key the car will run, as soon as i let go it cuts out:confused:

rs250nut
24-10-2009, 10:52
i dont know how to hot wire it buddy :confused:

off the top of my head I think there are four wires two for ignition one for the alternator and I think the wire for the starter motor is red. You could do it like that with a couple of switches piece of piss. If you have to hold the key the barrel has to be fcuked.

Shakes
24-10-2009, 11:44
ok gunna try a new ign barrol hopefully, can someone please tell me how i get the barrol out of the car please ;)

rs250nut
24-10-2009, 17:34
ok gunna try a new ign barrol hopefully, can someone please tell me how i get the barrol out of the car please ;)

The two bolts that hold it on dont have any sort of head on so you may have to drill the heads off or get a grinder on there with a thin disc.

Shakes
25-10-2009, 10:56
got the barrol off & fitted to the new car, and walla it was working most of the day, then i turned it off, went to start it and it cut out again, i had to keep the key turned to get it home, im guessing theres a break in one of the wire's somewhere from the ign barrol.
well yet another problem my windscreen wiper has packed up, the motor is turning but its just moving all over the place so it seems it has just come lose somewhere, it is a single wiper conversion, does anyone have fitting instructions? please

Shakes
26-10-2009, 21:48
:yeah: its done the 5 is finally alive, turned out to just be dodgy wiring on the immobiliser, the sparkie says "what the fook have they done here ive never seen an immobiliser wired up like this before", anyway hes re wired it and seems to be working fine :yeah:.
just need the front indicator conection blocks, and the bracket that holds the motor for the front single wiper conversion kit as the bar on mine has snapped, (;);) matt) then i can finnally drive the car safely.
i would like to thank everyone whos helped me with this.
spooky
jesus in the seat of a 5
nayls
mad murdoch
markey b
sy5gtt
richie
ur help is greatly appreciated thanx :)

Sy5GTT
26-10-2009, 22:26
Glad to hear it's sorted mate. :agree:

Shakes
28-10-2009, 17:04
more problems....after driving it fine for a couple of hours last night, i take it down the duel carridgeway i slowly put my foot down and suddenly it starts juddering then cuts out, i managed to pull over try start it and it wont idle was late so i just phoned my breakdown cover and got it home.
today i took the carb off and gave it a clean put it back on and great its idling again and reving fine, but then i here the fuel pump going crazy making real loud wineing noises, i take a look under the back of the car and theres a puddle of fuel. and the bottom of the tank is wet, so fan****ingtastic another random problem....are fuel tanks expensive to buy new? or shall i just take the one of my old shell.

stuTHC
28-10-2009, 17:17
Dont think you can get a new fuel tank anymore, might be wrong.

You can definitely buy new fuel pumps and fuel hose thou ;)