PDA

View Full Version : car running etc

tom t
28-09-2008, 19:02
got my car up and running again.
still got a few problems to sort out though.

first new clutch pedal as it wont engage gears properly as the bite is right on the floor. the self adjuster must be buggered. as i was snapping quite a few cables before the new engine and clutch.

ive noticed a slight petrol leak underneath the car as its dripping from one of the joints.

what mm pipe should i be using? as currently there is 8mm i.d b&q copper piping joint by rubber piping where it needs to be.

is this the right diameter?

also if there was a leak would this effect fuel pressure in the system? and if so i take it this could effect the safe running of my engine? (pinking etc?)

ive been having probs with the standard water temp gauge. is there any tips any tricks to get this working again does anybody no?

also its a new temp sensor on the waterpump. and im not sure but i think the gauge didnt even flicker when i joined the 2 wires going to it together.

sorry about the essay. just want to get the car running healthfully so i can actually try and keep it on the road this time.

any help much appreciated guys cheers:agree:

tom t
28-09-2008, 19:04
also can anyone tell me a good place to get an inline adaptor for me to put in my top rad hose to take a temp reading? cheers

RICHIE
28-09-2008, 22:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

also can anyone tell me a good place to get an inline adaptor for me to put in my top rad hose to take a temp reading? cheers

be more accurate to take the reading from the head. you can tap into the cylinder end plate

tom t
28-09-2008, 22:28
is that hard to do m8? and how would i stop it from leaking after ive put the fitting in say? cheers

RICHIE
29-09-2008, 18:32
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

is that hard to do m8? and how would i stop it from leaking after ive put the fitting in say? cheers

buy the correct size tap make the hole in the end plate and put ptfe tape on the thread of the fitting then screw in.

Kris M
29-09-2008, 19:44
To answer afew of your questions -

Its always a good idea to replace the clutch pedal and cable on a new 5 IMO,

5 fuel tanks normally leak from a common "yellow bung" on the O/S of the tank half way up, some sealent or such like usually does the job

For the water temp gauge, check the connections on the sensor, then check you have no breaks in the wires leading up to the back of the gauge, lastly look at the gauge itself

Hope this helps :)

tom t
29-09-2008, 21:02
yeah i need to get hold of a pedal, going to stop trying to drive it till i get that friday hopefully.

it is coming down from the tank, the side nearer to the front of the car. and down one of the fuel pipes going up there.

is this possibley the yellow bung?

how could i test the gauge itself? just join the 2 wires together? if there were no breaks in the wire that shud work shudnt it? cheers

tom t
29-09-2008, 21:35
also i checkd my water in my header tank earlier.

and then forgot to put it back on. i drove the car for say 5 minutes with it off as i didnt notice. also the cap was still there so i put it back on.

my cooling system has been spot on though. will this get air in the system?

cheers

Kris M
29-09-2008, 21:41
If fuel is running down the front of the tank, make sure the pipes are still attached to the sender ( under the rear seat), also make sure all the breather pipes are attached

The tank could also be split ?

Dont quite get what you mean about the header tank ???? I asume you mean you didnt clip it back onto its bracket after you checked the level ???

As long as the cap was still on it shouldnt have done anything

tom t
29-09-2008, 21:52
sorry m8 i meant i drove the car for about 5 minutes without the cap on the expansion tank.

im not going to drive the car till friday or sat. so will have to investigate further at the tank.

also suppouse it could be a sender pipe as the gauge has been a bit iffy i think

tom t
27-10-2008, 07:35
has any body got any tips as to how to get the fuel tank of?
so i can try and sort this leak out.

as i got under there yesterday and all the bolts seem rotten as hell. what mm are the bolts aswell? cheers