PDA

View Full Version : Bonnet venting advice/examples

Nick13
15-10-2009, 18:21
When I had an RS Turbo I thought the bonnet vents were pretty.............

Now I've got a GTT I'm thinking "god, it could do with some bonnet vents"......not because they look good, but because it needs them!

I've seen numerous GTT's with vents or louvres........plastic bonnet right?....how hard can it be????????

Any particular type work better than others?, I was leaning towards the Sierra style ones (bigger slots meand more ventilation?.......) but I'd love to hear what you GTT veterans go for....and how easy/hard they are to fit.

I'm thinking of jigsawing a couple of vent holes out and Tiger sealing the vents on.........am I right?

Ta

Mart
15-10-2009, 18:27
...but because it needs them!

What makes you say that?

Gttnutter
15-10-2009, 18:28
I dont think gt's need them in my opinion but if they did then i'd go the clio 16 route or a couple of louvers would be ok but not loads

The new Bill J
15-10-2009, 18:29
Now I've got a GTT I'm thinking "god, it could do with some bonnet vents"......not because they look good, but because it needs them!

:scratch:

Renault didn't seem to think so.

TrixNFlix
15-10-2009, 18:35
:scratch:

Renault didn't seem to think so.

Oh feck, here he goes :sad: :cooter:

The new Bill J
15-10-2009, 18:42
Oh feck, here he goes :sad: :cooter:

Well surely it's true :cooter:

clee
15-10-2009, 18:45
.................and low, Renault did maketh the finest of all hot hatch, sparing no expense and verily it was good innit :agree:

TrixNFlix
15-10-2009, 18:48
Well surely it's true :cooter:

Your right :disagree: :laugh: I think he just wants them for cosmetic reasons but is trying to justify them so needs to find another reason for them:laugh:

TrixNFlix
15-10-2009, 19:00
]

And to nick13, go for it dude, dont worry about what this old :mart: thinks ;)

RussellT
15-10-2009, 19:01
The daddy of bonnet vents

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Doris%20Files/closedbonnet.JPG

TrixNFlix
15-10-2009, 19:03
]

And to nick13, go for it dude, dont worry about what this old :mart: thinks ;)

The old man is directed at bill not me, im not old :laugh::laugh:

Gttnutter
15-10-2009, 19:05

:laugh: that is very shexy russ :)

TrixNFlix
15-10-2009, 19:11

Very nice ,Russel t What made you pick this design over others. I know you do sprints, so what were your thoughts, shortest pipe run whilst acheiving most air flow?

Nick13
15-10-2009, 22:27
Hmmm.....Nope, not for cosmetic or vanity purposes, although I do tend to go for tarty looks...........
I want to fit vents to help keep the little so and so as cool as possible.....in my opinion, they tend to run a bit on the warm side.
There are a lot of GTT's out there with some sort of venting in the bonnet area..........want some!

Wallace
15-10-2009, 22:48
Would it not also be possible that the R5GTT wasn't fitted with vents to reduce manufacturing costs???

or even to prevent "spoiling" the asthetics/appearence of the car?????

Just a thought................

D4WNO
15-10-2009, 22:53
This is AdamL's bonnet

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/album.php?albumid=180&pictureid=6549

dave j gtt
15-10-2009, 23:01
with vents water gets in and rusts and rots and ****s things. ;)

some look nice :cool:

dave j gtt
15-10-2009, 23:04
This is AdamL's bonnet

that bonnet looks like its been painted a few times :confused:

i've seen them bonnets with luvers paint come of in past on friends cars.

looks nice tho :smokin:

newbstar*
16-10-2009, 08:50
bonnet vents = water = problems.:disagree:

Alastair
16-10-2009, 10:24
Boris cut me a nice slit in my bonnet, that is bent down to duct hot air from the rad out. Works very well and you barely notice it, and best of all it costs the price of a 1mm grinding disk. (plus beer). Pics in my rebuild thread / profile.

RussellT
16-10-2009, 10:30
"shortest pipe run whilst acheiving most air flow"

exactly TrixnFlix. It also seperates the hot and cold ends of the IC and the air flow is straight rather than around a hairpin bend.

The only drawback is that if you try to wash wipe the windscreen above 60mph the air flow takes the water sideways to the nearside :cool:

TrixNFlix
16-10-2009, 10:50
"shortest pipe run whilst acheiving most air flow"

exactly TrixnFlix. It also seperates the hot and cold ends of the IC and the air flow is straight rather than around a hairpin bend

The only drawback is that if you try to wash wipe the windscreen above 60mph the air flow takes the water sideways to the nearside :cool:

Oh my, seen the other file pics of doris. That setup looks top. :agree:
John you havn't by any chance been monitoring inlet temps have you? Would be interested in your before and after temps.

michael tierney
16-10-2009, 20:53
i think cool luvers are gone now aren't they?

mike r5 gtt
16-10-2009, 21:16
my rs and my scoob both have bonnet vents as standard and im not sure there needed apart from looking good!!:cool:
but my 5 has got them but could prob do with them!!!for getting heat out!!
i think if ur getting them then luvers are the way 2 go!they do the job but dont let water in and look pretty suttle unless uv got hundreds of them!!loads of bodyshops can cut/press them for u.
cant decide 2 go for them or not!might have to buy a spare bonnet :wasntme:

Nick13
17-10-2009, 13:27
This is AdamL's bonnet

That looks great!.........but also expensive.......

I'm struggling to decide which way to go.

Sierra style on each side and a scoob type bulge near the windscreen end with a baffle to send air forwards.............

I think that would help cooling.......but I'd look a right prat doing that to a nice looking bonnet......................

Can't win whichever way I choose!:confused:

Brigsy
17-10-2009, 13:37
No need for bonnet vents imo. I have no cooling problems with std bonnet.

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-10-2009, 13:42
No need for bonnet vents imo. I have no cooling problems with std bonnet.

:agree: , agree with that man , however nick if you want one with bulges , scoops etc , i have loads....;), some id sell , some you can have buddy, look at my profile , ill laso pm you some pics if needed {shamless plug}..:D

Mart
17-10-2009, 16:34
]And to nick13, go for it dude, dont worry about what this old :mart: thinks ;)

WTF?! I was asking a genuine question.

Trevhib
17-10-2009, 17:08
Unnecesary bonnet vents on road going GTTs :disagree: Spoils lines.

TrixNFlix
17-10-2009, 18:19
WTF?! I was asking a genuine question.

:scratch: I used the old man for bill not you:cooter:

TrixNFlix
17-10-2009, 18:25
What makes you say that?

come to think of it this is the first time I've even noticed your post. :cooter:

The new Bill J
17-10-2009, 18:44
:eek:

I'm only 24 :sad:

jesus in the seat of a 5
17-10-2009, 19:33
:eek:

I'm only 24 :sad:

Now that deserves a LOL.....:wasntme:

The new Bill J
17-10-2009, 19:34
Now that deserves a LOL.....:wasntme:

:cry:

Well I'm not far off :p

stu21t
17-10-2009, 20:02
im gunna vent mine by raising the back of the bonnet up, keeps it cool and std looking.

Scoff
17-10-2009, 20:08
im gunna vent mine by raising the back of the bonnet up, keeps it cool and std looking.

that doesn't really do much, other than to let heat out while stood in traffic maybe. there's high pressure in front of the windscreen, not ideal for a vent that's supposed to vent heat. it wants to be just behind the radiator, where pressure is low.

stu21t
17-10-2009, 20:20
but that doesnt look standard.
id rather have a less funtional vent than an obvious 1.
and as the whole underneath of my car is plated with a sheet of ally the only place for the heat to get out of the eengine bay at the mo is through the wheels, so raising the bonnet will be better than nothing.

Wallace
17-10-2009, 20:32
but that doesnt look standard.
id rather have a less funtional vent than an obvious 1.
and as the whole underneath of my car is plated with a sheet of ally the only place for the heat to get out of the eengine bay at the mo is through the wheels, so raising the bonnet will be better than nothing.

Have you got a picture of the underside with the ali:coffee:

stu21t
18-10-2009, 16:12
ill have a look

stu21t
18-10-2009, 23:27
that doesn't really do much, other than to let heat out while stood in traffic maybe. there's high pressure in front of the windscreen, not ideal for a vent that's supposed to vent heat. it wants to be just behind the radiator, where pressure is low.

i was thinking about this earlier, i think it will do a lot by raising the bonnet on mine(maybe more than others as theres no engine there)
because
i remember going on a test drive once and i obviously hadnt shut the bonnet properly, as i got to about 60ish mph the bonnet started to lift.( a good few inches)
theres got to be a lot of force(hot air) pushing on the underneath of the bonnet to lift the weight of the metal and the weight of the air thats flowing over the top of the bonnet and pushing it down.