http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c249/evrenfenci/ujoint.jpg

markey b
14-10-2009, 00:01
on some yes, there are 2 versions of steering rack, splined and square fitment

Schakal
14-10-2009, 00:10
on some yes, there are 2 versions of steering rack, splined and square fitment

splines versions use this i take it ?

any ideas why they used rubber on this joint ?
the reason i am asking , after fitting a brand new joint i have done
16k miles including 3 track days . only just took the car apart to find
out the rubbers on the joint have worn down to nothing giving lots of
play at steering wheel .

Shane P
14-10-2009, 00:13
I bought one of those, looked at a few engine bay pics and thought 'yep thats what i need'. Took the rubber surround off the lower joint and its the other type i have :wasntme:

markey b
14-10-2009, 00:14
i think so yes, my brothers ph1 has it, his was changed recently, but my orange 5 had a different type of UJ on the shaft, same at the clio column that i have in it now.

my campus had the same rubber bushed UJ, i had 2 or 3 in the 5 years i owned it, you'd always feel it going as the steering had a mind of its own and a 'zone' when steering left to right where it didn't do anything

markey b
14-10-2009, 00:14
I bought one of those, looked at a few engine bay pics and thought 'yep thats what i need'. Took the rubber surround off the lower joint and its the other type i have :wasntme:

i think the ones with the plastic clip on box use the above UJ, whilst the ones with the 'rubber boot' use the metal on column type

Lewis
14-10-2009, 07:07
Anyone got a splined steering column spare they want to sell me?

Ian S
14-10-2009, 18:28
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4731

Have a look at the bottom of this article.

Schakal
14-10-2009, 19:34
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/showthread.php?t=4731

Have a look at the bottom of this article.

thanks mate :agree:

i take it the conversion is a complete rack and column swap out of a later model ?
i was thinking of solidifiying the existing aluminium + rubber joint either by means
of welding ,filling with a harder material or getting a solid joint cut in steel/ally etc .
reckon it would work ?

Ian S
14-10-2009, 20:47
I take it the conversion is a complete rack and column swap out of a later model?Yes. But only the lower half of the column is needed from the later model.

i was thinking of solidifiying the existing aluminium + rubber joint either by means of welding ,filling with a harder material or getting a solid joint cut in steel/ally etc. reckon it would work ?I'd guess you'd still need a UJ there so a solid block would need bearings of some kind.

Schakal
14-10-2009, 20:58
Yes. But only the lower half of the column is needed from the later model.

I'd guess you'd still need a UJ there so a solid block would need bearings of some kind.

bearings for what ?? the holes on the uj act as the bearing on the standard setup
and they pivot on the connecting bolts , all i am wanting to do is to get rid of the
rubber .

Ian S
14-10-2009, 21:03
I think you might find that is not the case and the bolts clamp up hard to the tubes and the only play is from the bending and twisting of the rubber.

If that is the case and you get rid of the rubber, the steering won't turn.