PDA

View Full Version : questions on top mounts

djinuk
13-10-2009, 09:57
I believe my top mount on my r5 is long gone on the passenger side, its knocking very loud on bumpy roads. What is it exactly that fails with top mounts generally , ? the bearings or the rubbers? Also are these likely to be the same on the extra vans as the gt turbos?

My car has also got a very noticeable veering front end that wanders quite a lot, this is particularly noticeable on dual carriage ways etc.

One final thing is , how difficult are top mounts to remove and will i need a impact gun like my 205 ?

Brigsy
13-10-2009, 11:26
It could just be a broken top hat, strip down & inspection will show all. Dont rule out worn bottom balljoints too.

Some of the parts will fit off the extra van, the top mounts are essentially ph1 setup.

djinuk
13-10-2009, 11:33
cool man, there are a few extra vans in my scrappy and they seem in fairly good nick so i planned to rob bits of them, any other time id nip to gsf and get new, but im selling the car and would sooner keep any repair costs down.

I guess ill just whip the suspension leg off later and see what it looks like.

djinuk
19-10-2009, 09:17
just to update , ive fixed the problem, was the passenger side ball joint, the bolt had come very loose and was allowing the ball joint to jump up and down.

New bolt and its sound :)