PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing in boost adjustment

c5 swh
11-10-2009, 21:58
Before i swapped the engine in the 5 over it had a boost controller fitted by previous owner which allowed me to adjust boost from 11psi to 14psi.

Now i want to plumb it up to new engine, ive got these to pipes to plum up where do they go?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/SL702531.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/SL702533.jpg

And how do i change how much boost it adjusts?

thanks

Kris M
11-10-2009, 22:16
IMO, i wouldent bother with it. Im sure others will agree :), get your boost set up using the actuater (with fueling to match of course) and leave it at that :)

Jimmy_GTT
11-10-2009, 22:26
IMO, i wouldent bother with it. Im sure others will agree :), get your boost set up using the actuater (with fueling to match of course) and leave it at that :)

What is wrong with such bleeding valves?

Bigfoot
11-10-2009, 22:28
What is wrong with such bleeding valves?

Unless your running injection with carbs you can only run at one boost else you will either be running to rich or too lean.

Spooky
11-10-2009, 22:52
What other alternative is there to having a bleed valve to control boost?

I know there are electronic boost controllers that can be made to work but for simplicity, bleed valves seem to be the way to go.

Slim
12-10-2009, 00:26
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

k.. you will have 3 ports on the back of the incar boost control,,,,1. wil go to nothing (left open, leave it where it is) ,, 2 is blocked off,,, and 3 wil T into the actuator to Carb line. (but the t usually is another bleed valve)

Hope that made sense.. :) hell i hope that was right :D

Arrows
12-10-2009, 10:30
You need to fit a t piece in your actuator line, then the pipe with the rubber on the end in your picture, fit this to one part of the t piece then put the other parts in line of the actuator.

The other pipe leave it to air, stops you getting fuel smell inside the car.

You then will open the bleed valve screw in the car to increase the boost and close it to decrease the boost.

The lower limit will be what your turbo is currently set to as you can not go lower with the bleed valve on its own.

As for maximum boost the more you open it the more boost your get but be careful as you could take it too far and cause massive damage to your car.

A bit crud of a way to describe how its done and if you have a twin pipe actuator you need to make sure you get the correct side of this.

James5
12-10-2009, 12:21
Unless your running injection with carbs you can only run at one boost else you will either be running to rich or too lean.

:agree: Agree why would you want to have max boost at say 20psi and then turn the boost down to actuator say 10psi and be driving around at 10psi whilst still fueling for 20-psi. Feck it adjust by actuator for max boost required if the actuator doesn;t hold enough use an under bonnet bleed valve to get the extra psi (remember carb needs to be jetted for the extra boost).

UNICRONICUS
12-10-2009, 12:31
I don't agree with this setup either but if you must go ahead with it...http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/miscellaneous%20Technical%20Files/incar%20boost%20controller.jpg

Arrows
12-10-2009, 12:40
I can see why you perhaps would want it,

You drive round all day at say a pleasant 10psi.

Then you get the feeling of wanting a blast and using the valve open it out to say 20psi and have fun.

Can see why you would want to do this myself.

Yes i know your fuel for 20psi but lets be honest, if you set up for 20 psi and then drive round town ect your not going to be running at 20psi anyway so no real difference to be honest.

BriC
12-10-2009, 12:46
Can see why you would want to do this myself.

Yes i know your fuel for 20psi but lets be honest, if you set up for 20 psi and then drive round town ect your not going to be running at 20psi anyway so no real difference to be honest.

Yes there is.. you'll be overfueling. If you don't want to go fast, don't floor it. Simples.

Chris Hebden
12-10-2009, 12:48
I've had an in car and would never have one again. I had a silly range of 12-22psi! When i first took it off the car and set the actuator at 16psi the fuelling was never out of the 10's and even now (6months on) i am still trying to get the fuelling spot on for one boost pressure!

Arrows
12-10-2009, 12:56
Yes there is.. you'll be overfueling. If you don't want to go fast, don't floor it. Simples.

So your saying you drive everwhere with you foot stuck to the floor on WOT then, i doubt it.

As said we fuel our cars for this environment but how often do you use it.

Brigsy
12-10-2009, 13:02
Set the actuator to your required boost level & be done. No point having an incar adjustable boost.

Mart
12-10-2009, 13:25
Exactly. Apart from when going on track, I've never seen the point of running an in-car adjustable boost setup. If you want to control boost, control your right foot.

Even more pointless when you see people fitting them to control only a few psi difference between low & high setting. Waste of time.

BriC
12-10-2009, 13:32
So your saying you drive everwhere with you foot stuck to the floor on WOT then, i doubt it.

As said we fuel our cars for this environment but how often do you use it.

No, and that's exactly my point. You don't need to adjust the boost level, because if you have the carb set up for 20psi then lower it to 10psi, whenever you come on boost you'll be overfueling. However, if you just left it at 20psi, and controlled how fast you're going with your right foot, you won't be overfueling.