View Full Version : changing brake lines

Junglist
07-10-2009, 19:58
Hi guys
right last monday one of my metal lines underneath sprung a leak , i got a new complete set of copper ones here to put on .
just got the car on stands and had a look underneath and sprayed all nuts with wd40. They look newish so should be ok to get off .
ive decided just to change the 2 long pipes that go from the master cylinder to the rear beam as they are both in pretty sh@t state and all the rest look good as new.

my question then is looking from above at the master cylinder,, which are the 2 pipes that lead off to the rear brakes ?? , i can see the front left goes to the front left wheel , so are the 2 at the back for the rear brakes ? they look like a proper b*tch to get too aswell

Junglist
07-10-2009, 20:19
i think its the master cylicer where they go to ?

Ian S
07-10-2009, 23:42
I think you'll find that the rear brake lines emanate one from the master cylinder front and one from the master cylinder rear.

Junglist
08-10-2009, 08:29
I think you'll find that the rear brake lines emanate one from the master cylinder front and one from the master cylinder rear.
hi mate im not sure what you mean :scratch:

Junglist
08-10-2009, 08:48
a diagram of where the lines lead to would be good if any one had one :)

Junglist
08-10-2009, 08:53
the bottom left goes to the front left brake.
Are the two holes on the right for the rear brakes ,bottom right rear left and top right rear right ???more or less I think.

But do you mean "the right" as you look at the photo or when it's fitted into the car?

I mean right and left as it's fitted into the car.

There are two chambers, one at the front and one at the rear. Each chamber feeds one rear brake and one front.

I think there's no more to it than that. I think the point of it is that if one of the chambers fail, you still got one front brake working to stop you.

IIRC the Haynes manual might have more detail.

Junglist
08-10-2009, 13:01
thanks m8 , what im saying is the 2 ports near the bulkhead are for the rear, driver side for rear driver side passenger side for rear passenger side
,, this thread has gone tits up ?? picture is missing and other peoples posts show as mine ??:scratch:

Junglist
08-10-2009, 13:05
http://www.discountcarparts.co.uk/pics/img410e3b686c55c.png (http://javascript<b></b>:window.close();)
if you look at this picture ,, the two ports on the right will be for for the rear brakes , bottom right for rear left and top right for rear right :agree:

Junglist
08-10-2009, 13:13
oh right i get you ,, one of the rear brake lines goes to the front and at the rear..

any idea which port on the naster cylinder is for the rear left

Junglist
08-10-2009, 17:09
:crap::crap::crap: