PDA

View Full Version : Quaife differentials

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-10-2009, 19:12
As above techno bods, how easy are they to fit?..is it something you could tackle yourself?....ta , jeez.

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:13
As above techno bods, how easy are they to fit?..is it something you could tackle yourself?....ta , jeez.

Fitting the different is sposed to be easy, but I'm sure someone said you have to shorten a driveshaft:eek: I'm sure someone will pop up in a min and answer.

Your doing well during the credit crunch then if you can afford the 800quid for a diff

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-10-2009, 19:16
Fitting the different is sposed to be easy, but I'm sure someone said you have to shorten a driveshaft:eek: I'm sure someone will pop up in a min and answer.

Your doing well during the credit crunch then if you can afford the 800quid for a diff

:laugh:..cheeky fecker ....mr re-build himeself...;), im planning to sell some bits / cars and want to concentrate on the cup..so you know....:cooter:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:17
:laugh:..cheeky fecker ....mr re-buld himeself...;), im planning to sell some bits / cars and want to concentrate on the cup..so you know....:cooter:

Shoulda known really, you just click your fingers and money appairs, you after all the son of god ;)

markey b
06-10-2009, 19:17
mr rebuild 'multiple times' himself you mean.... do it once do it proper olive! lol

only jokin

i'm sure it was the gripper diff or something that needed some 'shaft work'

other than that i'm about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.. sorry :scratch:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:19
mr rebuild 'multiple times' himself you mean.... do it once do it proper olive! lol

only jokin

i'm sure it was the gripper diff or something that needed some 'shaft work'

other than that i'm about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.. sorry :scratch:

Oi the first engine was the original, the second was rebuilt badly by a so called expert tuner, the third died due to me not tightening up the oil sandwhich plate, number is doing just fine

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-10-2009, 19:19
Shoulda known really, you just click your fingers and money appairs, you after all the son of god ;)

:devil:..indeed..it has it use...:laugh:, yeah i think mark that the gripper needed driveshaft work for sure but i think they both did..........:scratch:, help...:laugh:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:20
:devil:..indeed..it has it use...:laugh:, yeah i think mark that the gripper needed driveshaft work for sure but i think they both did..........:scratch:, help...:laugh:

I'm pretty sure they do, come on Scoff, Mr Cooke somebody?

r5 rich
06-10-2009, 19:45
speak to matt5, I remember he was doing stuff to dave clarks driveshaft for his box

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
06-10-2009, 19:52
Quaife diff. means you don't need to alter N/S driveshaft.....
Gripper you do......
You have to get the crown wheel off original diff to be able to use either of these diffs......
The Quaife is auto torque bias and never fully locks, unlike the Gripper, which is a classic plate and clutch assembly and is obviously a locking diff. The gripper can be had in different ramp angles so can be tailored to what the use of the car is going to be.....Rally/Race etc.....and from that you can choose how agressive the unit is.
Quaife comes with a guarantee now I think...unsure about the Gripper........
I would suggest rebuilding the box, as more drive is achieved, the more stress it will have to cope with.......

jesus in the seat of a 5
06-10-2009, 19:59
Quaife diff. means you don't need to alter N/S driveshaft.....
Gripper you do......
You have to get the crown wheel off original diff to be able to use either of these diffs......
The Quaife is auto torque bias and never fully locks, unlike the Gripper, which is a classic plate and clutch assembly and is obviously a locking diff. The gripper can be had in different ramp angles so can be tailored to what the use of the car is going to be.....Rally/Race etc.....and from that you can choose how agressive the unit is.
Quaife comes with a guarantee now I think...unsure about the Gripper........
I would suggest rebuilding the box, as more drive is achieved, the more stress it will have to cope with.......

Cheers matt , for track which would you reccomend, i wont be using it on the road at all, any help is usefull with regards your experience`s` etc.

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
06-10-2009, 20:14
At this moment in time, from the difference it made to a car I have dealt with and bearing in mind you will be using the car for track work, I would go with a locker, I.E. the gripper....with the Quaife ATB if you lift a wheel off the ground, like hitting a rumble strip hard and launching the inner wheel into fresh air, the ATB diff. reverts back to a normal open diff. and spins up the lifted wheel.
As previously mentioned, you need to get the N/S driveshaft shortened, when you do shorten the driveshaft it is about 25mm shorter than standard, it needs to be balanced and use the thickest (poss. diesel) Clio shafts, as you can rebuild the ball and cage setup cheaper than the tripoid setup as found on the R5.

Duncan Grier
06-10-2009, 22:09
Matty, gripper diffs is now owned and run by Dave Mac Propshafts in
coventry. John is the man to speak to and got John to make my shafts for the vag 5 in S155 steel knows his stuff and always looked after me with other stuff (discounts :P)

Let me know if you need to to do anything ;)

DG

jesus in the seat of a 5
07-10-2009, 05:54
Matty, gripper diffs is now owned and run by Dave Mac Propshafts in
coventry. John is the man to speak to and got John to make my shafts for the vag 5 in S155 steel knows his stuff and always looked after me with other stuff (discounts :P)

Let me know if you need to to do anything ;)

DG

Thanks people, duncs ill be in touch mate , thanks, sounds like a good contact...:agree:

rs250nut
07-10-2009, 10:13
At this moment in time, from the difference it made to a car I have dealt with and bearing in mind you will be using the car for track work, I would go with a locker, I.E. the gripper....with the Quaife ATB if you lift a wheel off the ground, like hitting a rumble strip hard and launching the inner wheel into fresh air, the ATB diff. reverts back to a normal open diff. and spins up the lifted wheel.
As previously mentioned, you need to get the N/S driveshaft shortened, when you do shorten the driveshaft it is about 25mm shorter than standard, it needs to be balanced and use the thickest (poss. diesel) Clio shafts, as you can rebuild the ball and cage setup cheaper than the tripoid setup as found on the R5.

How often does the gripper need servicing?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
07-10-2009, 17:57
Every time it breaks.......:p
Mr Clarks car needed one overhaul after a driveshaft broke up, but lasted all season up until then.

jesus in the seat of a 5
07-10-2009, 17:58
Every time it breaks.......:p

:laugh:...trust you..;), gripper it is me thinks..now wheres duncans phone number..:scratch:

allanr5gtt
07-10-2009, 21:03
dont know if it will fit in the jb3 box but it's cheaper than £800.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1248385.htm

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
07-10-2009, 21:26
172/182 has a jb box so will fit yes.

allanr5gtt
07-10-2009, 22:01
i wasn't sure if they were a jbs or jc5 box?