PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Test

Os8472
06-10-2009, 17:30
Before anyone starts bitching and saying use the search, I did but didn't find anything relevent.

Anyway back to the subject, I know my clutch is ****ered but I'm a little concerened that the gearbox ain't to great either, when the car died all the gears would select fine but there was no drive at all.

Is there anyway of testing a gearbox without having to bolt it into a car?

Bigfoot
06-10-2009, 17:41
Drain the gearbox oil and see if there is any metal in there, make sure the shafts can turn freely, and also select all gears fine. Also what I did was remove the end casing and look at the condition of it.

Os8472
06-10-2009, 17:46
Drain the gearbox oil and see if there is any metal in there, make sure the shafts can turn freely, and also select all gears fine. Also what I did was remove the end casing and look at the condition of it.

No metal in the oil, the shafts turn freely and if you manual put it in gear and turn input shaft both the outputs turn. I'll pull the end casing in a min and report back

Os8472
06-10-2009, 17:57
Everything looks ok, anything else I should look at?

markey b
06-10-2009, 18:27
Before anyone starts bitching and saying use the search, I did but didn't find anything relevent.

Anyway back to the subject, I know my clutch is ****ered but I'm a little concerened that the gearbox ain't to great either, when the car died all the gears would select fine but there was no drive at all.

Is there anyway of testing a gearbox without having to bolt it into a car?

there wont be any drive you pea-narse... not if the clutch has gone :laugh:

shanes box should be ok, i didn't have his number, but he got it from ross and luke at work, and they never drove it after the engine rebuild, but it used to be ok

you'll know for sure in about 26hours :smokin:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 18:42
there wont be any drive you pea-narse... not if the clutch has gone :laugh:

shanes box should be ok, i didn't have his number, but he got it from ross and luke at work, and they never drove it after the engine rebuild, but it used to be ok

you'll know for sure in about 26hours :smokin:

You sore the clutch, the splines weren't completely gone, they did still turn the input shaft.

Yeah I know, but I do like to worry about things :scared:

markey b
06-10-2009, 18:50
You sore the clutch, the splines weren't completely gone, they did still turn the input shaft.

Yeah I know, but I do like to worry about things :scared:

with 1bhp (brake hand power) but soon as you put 3/4 ton of car on the other end i'm sure it freewheeled like a bitch on those splines

dont worry... let my famous phrase soothe your panic....

"that'll be ok, and if need be, we'll cable tie it for extra support"

TrixNFlix
06-10-2009, 18:55
with 1bhp (brake hand power) but soon as you put 3/4 ton of car on the other end i'm sure it freewheeled like a bitch on those splines

:laugh::wasntme:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:10

Oh crist, not that again :wasntme:

markey b
06-10-2009, 19:12
www.cabletiedevelopments.co.uk (http://www.cabletiedevelopments.co.uk) :laugh:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:15
www.cabletiedevelopments.co.uk (http://www.cabletiedevelopments.co.uk) :laugh:

I hope there's a section for buying cable ties :D

markey b
06-10-2009, 19:16
oh there will be, trademark orange ones too :agree:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:16
oh there will be, trademark orange ones too :agree:

Will there be red ones?

markey b
06-10-2009, 19:19
fraid not, dyno results actually showed a decrease in BHP, same with red hoses, blocks, calipers, even gearknobs... orange gave the best performance gain balanced with cost.

silver would obviously be the best option, but nasa dont sell wholesale :cry:

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:19
fraid not, dyno results actually showed a decrease in BHP, same with red hoses, blocks, calipers, even gearknobs... orange gave the best performance gain balanced with cost.

silver would obviously be the best option, but nasa dont sell wholesale :cry:

How about nice clean, simple black ones?

markey b
06-10-2009, 19:22
How about nice clean, simple black ones?

you cant see them at night.. silly boy!

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:23
you cant see them at night.. silly boy!

No need, aslong as they hold the engine in place I don't care how they look ;)