PDA

View Full Version : renault 5 gtt subframe

mr white
05-10-2009, 23:02
is there any difference to the early clio ones(1991 to 1996) as they look the same and ive got a fully rebuilt clio 16v one with wishbones are they any wider and what would i need to make it work if the clios one is wider.

Bigfoot
05-10-2009, 23:14
Subframes are the same apart from where the radiator mounts on to, cant remember the difference though, wishbones are going to be different though.

Lewis
05-10-2009, 23:40
Clio 16v subframe is same width as the 5gtt one, I think.....

The extra track width on the clio 16v comes from clio wishbones. They will give you a slightly wider front track when fitted on a 5. You'll also need the longer clio 16v driveshafts.

However you'll end up with increased negative camber as the damper top mount position does not change.

Some camber adjusting bolts should be able to reduce that camber down to sensible amounts for use on the road.

Clio williams front track is wider still but that makes for even more negative camber, which will require more than just camber adjusting bolts to reduce.

mr white
05-10-2009, 23:44
Subframes are the same apart from where the radiator mounts on to, cant remember the difference though, wishbones are going to be different though.

how much difference in the wishbones doesnt look like much do you reckon il be able to sort out the camber that it will cause with some camber corectors. ive got this clio subframe fully rebuilt was building it for a valver ive got but theres to much work to do on the rear arches. my 5gtt engine is nearly out now, im going to put the f7p into the 5, ive got a fresh gtx mount all ready for the transplant. just dont want this fresh subframe going to waste.

mr white
05-10-2009, 23:47
also what springs are you using, can i use valver springs on 5 struts ive got 50mm apex springs on the gtt at the mo will the weight of the f7p engine be to heavy for them.

mr white
05-10-2009, 23:51
Clio 16v subframe is same width as the 5gtt one, I think.....

The extra track width on the clio 16v comes from clio wishbones. They will give you a slightly wider front track when fitted on a 5. You'll also need the longer clio 16v driveshafts.

However you'll end up with increased negative camber as the damper top mount position does not change.

Some camber adjusting bolts should be able to reduce that camber down to sensible amounts for use on the road.

Clio williams front track is wider still but that makes for even more negative camber, which will require more than just camber adjusting bolts to reduce.

can i fit the valver shocks/spings to the gtt ive got the valver box and shafts :cool:
will there be any benifit to fiting hubs as my gtt hubs and breaking are all good.

mr white
05-10-2009, 23:55
also is the gtt gearbox ok to use on the f7p ive got 2 of them and 1 valver box

Lewis
06-10-2009, 01:25
Gtt front track width is 1323mm
Clio 16v front track width is 1372mm
Williams Clio front track width is 1402mm

For the Clio 16v front track on a 5 you want:

The clio wishbones, driveshafts, anti roll bar and you will probably need clio 16v track rods as the 5 track rod ends may not wind out far enough and leave a decent amount of thread in the track rod itself.

Not sure about using the clio shocks, should be possible. The french guys use the gtt phase 1 or 2 shocks when they do this conversion.

Hubs and braking you should be fine with the gtt setup, theres barely any difference, the clio 16v takes a slightly larger bearing and some clio16v hubs have abs sensor holes.
The clio 16v uses the same front brake calipers with different carriers and is fitted with 259mm x 21mm discs, the gtt uses 238mmx20mm discs.

You can also fit the rear beam of the clio for an increased rear track width, however it will probably limit how low you can go and what width wheels you can fit without catching the arches.

As for the gearbox you can use either box on the F7P however you may have to move dowels about for the starter motor, never had to do it so wouldn't know. I'd stick with the gtt box to retain the gtt clocks, but you could always fit different clocks and a manual speedo.....

Let me know what you decide to do with the clio I might want some bits if you break it for parts... need your mobile number again any chance you could pm me it please?

mr white
06-10-2009, 13:39
was trying to save a phase 1 valver but thought i would have ago at sorting out last few little bits before mot had ago at a few rust bubbles on rear arches this weekend which turnt out to be mostly filler and small part of the sill both sides so im thinking of breaking it now the rest of the car is solid all electrics work in 449

shell with all bits minus engine and loom. sunroof works windows work mirrors work central locking works perfect doors are rust free bumpers are good bonnets defo needs spraying boot is rust free just booth arches about 2 inches all the way round on both side and inner arch about an inch has been ground back and treated ready to tackle under the windscreen is rust free also front end has been stonechiped and waxoiled behinde wings and front bumper in the las 2 weeks just want my 5 on road as thats taxed and tested and the clio isnt but with arches and another engine in would fly through mot. £300 and its anybodys also have an engine in bits in my bros garage also the interior is pretty mint hardly worn on drivers seat couldnt belive it when i saw it

Matt Cole
06-10-2009, 15:56
was trying to save a phase 1 valver but thought i would have ago at sorting out last few little bits before mot had ago at a few rust bubbles on rear arches this weekend which turnt out to be mostly filler and small part of the sill both sides so im thinking of breaking it now the rest of the car is solid all electrics work in 449

shell with all bits minus engine and loom. sunroof works windows work mirrors work central locking works perfect doors are rust free bumpers are good bonnets defo needs spraying boot is rust free just booth arches about 2 inches all the way round on both side and inner arch about an inch has been ground back and treated ready to tackle under the windscreen is rust free also front end has been stonechiped and waxoiled behinde wings and front bumper in the las 2 weeks just want my 5 on road as thats taxed and tested and the clio isnt but with arches and another engine in would fly through mot. £300 and its anybodys also have an engine in bits in my bros garage also the interior is pretty mint hardly worn on drivers seat couldnt belive it when i saw it

Got any pics?

mr white
06-10-2009, 18:11
http://www.rtoc.org/boards/picture.php?albumid=790&pictureid=8741

mr white
06-10-2009, 18:13
minus the turbines will come with a set of valver phase 2s

Lewis
06-10-2009, 18:30
Shame the turbines aren't up for grabs....

mr white
06-10-2009, 18:51
Shame the turbines aren't up for grabs....

i know thought you would say that lol :laugh: they do look good thers a set on ebay at the mo going for £155 i just cant let them go love them so much and my williams rims choices choices choices got all caps and locking bolts and key.