PDA

View Full Version : engines and engine mounts

J$£5GTT
04-10-2009, 20:53
how do they differ from engine to engine,do they generally have two at front an a rear mount,with say a gt turbo engine in the rear of a 5,would you use differant ways to mount it??

:)

Rob@Backyardracing
04-10-2009, 21:06
You would just fit the whole subframe for a rear engine conversion if thats what your trying to get at? alot easier..

J$£5GTT
04-10-2009, 21:12
You would just fit the whole subframe for a rear engine conversion if thats what your trying to get at? alot easier..

cheers mate,i was thinking about a general view of engines an the way there mounted,say if your putting a clio 172.?...in a 5 you need to have that top mount fabricated in...

Rob@Backyardracing
04-10-2009, 21:22
Nope you dont have do that, use a volvo mount i think? i cant be sure, never done it or read on it... loads peeps on here will know... blah save some cash and be different fit a cheapo d16 in there with ebay parts... ill go messure it up for you mate :D

J$£5GTT
04-10-2009, 21:26
Nope you dont have do that, use a volvo mount i think? i cant be sure, never done it or read on it... loads peeps on here will know... blah save some cash and be different fit a cheapo d16 in there with ebay parts... ill go messure it up for you mate :D

ha,sure it can be done..my minds in overkill mode with ideas of engines etc an fitting them into differant cars...

Spooky
04-10-2009, 21:30
Most modern engines are designed to be sat in the engine bay as if they are floating on suspended mounts.

The mounts you find at the bottom of the engine, maybe connected to the gearbox or block help reduce vibration further.

I asked an engineer at Honda about this when we started the build on the current shaped civic as this has 2 major suspended mounts with 3 stabilising 'dog bones'.

Apparently, its a better way of reducing vibrations/road noise.

The idea has been around for ages.

J$£5GTT
04-10-2009, 21:33
these 'dog bone' type mounts then,can they fit to the chassis an subframe?

Rob@Backyardracing
04-10-2009, 21:39
If you did fit an alternative engine (honda) them 2 lower stabilisers do near to fook all use... so i wouldnt worry to much on that... But on the otherhand you could pack the stabiliers up easly on the cheap and would stifferen the engine alot and saves loads on after market solid mounts.... :)

Scoff
04-10-2009, 21:55
I've just bought some very stiff V8 rubber engine mounts that I could make some stiff rear GTT engine mounts from. I'll make up a couple of samples this week, incase anybody is interested. It's the rear mount that causes most of the engine movement, by the way.

Sy5GTT
04-10-2009, 22:05
We make engine and gearbox mounts for Audi/VW, Aston Martin and Jaguar. They are filled with fluid to help keep vibration and noise to a minimum. May be able to get them to fit? :confused: Probably be a pain in the arse though....

Rob@Backyardracing
04-10-2009, 22:13
I've just bought some very stiff V8 rubber engine mounts that I could make some stiff rear GTT engine mounts from. I'll make up a couple of samples this week, incase anybody is interested. It's the rear mount that causes most of the engine movement, by the way.

Do these keep the engine at OE height?

Scoff
04-10-2009, 22:14
They will do rob, direct swap for the existing one.

Spooky
04-10-2009, 23:14
I'd be interested in one of those Scoff.

What are you using with your f4r lump if you don't mind me asking ? :)

Rob@Backyardracing
04-10-2009, 23:17
A rubber sole of a Nike air max its that thin

Scoff
04-10-2009, 23:17
Cheers, will put something into the classifieds with pictures in the week. I need to find a standard mount to make a jig from, not sure I have any.

My mounts are custom, more or less solid.

TrixNFlix
05-10-2009, 07:15
I'd be up for one of these rear engine mounts too. :agree:

Lewis
05-10-2009, 10:03
There's a new genuine rear mount on eBay for the diesel 5 model, it has a different part number to the gt turbo rear mount, I wonder if it's any firmer?

dave j gtt
05-10-2009, 21:06
Cheers, will put something into the classifieds with pictures in the week. I need to find a standard mount to make a jig from, not sure I have any.

My mounts are custom, more or less solid.

I have old one i can post or deliver matey .. it may not be of any use as its old ?

other than that, Am intrested in one of these uniqe rear engine mounts ;)

Saying that i just got my recipt out, I can get rear ruber for £13 and have all the other bits, but i'll just go and dig em out to be sure :scratch: :laugh:.

Scoff
05-10-2009, 22:45
Nice one dave, might need to take you up on the offer. Definately not got one here, hoping Haz might have one that I can borrow for a while.