PDA

View Full Version : Headlamp Aim

Chris Walker
01-10-2009, 14:47
First post!

Hello,

I have cracked headlamp :(, and unfortunately I'm gonna have to replace it. I've bought a new pair of headlamps... So they are both the same type, hate to see two different makes of headlamps on a car! lol

After fitment, can I check & adjust the headlamp aim myself? :confused:
Or, do I have to take it to a service station as it says in the Haynes Manual.

Thank you,

Chris ;)

Sy5GTT
01-10-2009, 15:23
I always park in front of a garage door and get them level first. Just to make sure there not pointing skywards.

dave r5
01-10-2009, 15:35
garage door is the easyest way.

get them leval, an if u have a clean beam image try to get the kick up the same on both sides that willl save u greif for yr next mot

Chris Walker
01-10-2009, 15:47
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Ok, so I can do it myself... Thanks guys.

But before I start taking my car to bits;
How far away from the garage door/wall should I park?
and how far up the wall do I want my beam to go?

Finally, There's two knobs on the headlamp, correct?
One at the top and one at the bottom, what does each do - at a guess the top one is the vertical aim ie; the headlamp up and down, and the bottom one aligns the headlamps horizontally - and sort's the 'kick up' out?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Thank you ;)

Ian S
01-10-2009, 17:57
There's a 6mm nut at the bottom corner which, IIRC, adjusts the height. Using this allows you to use the large black knob to be a quick adjust to lower the beam for when the boot is laden, etc.

On a flat road, I just extended the dipped beam as far up the road as seemed possible without being so high it was in the faces of on-coming cars. Then went for a drive to see if it was too high. It was a bit so I lowered it some, then another drive. Too much, so raised it a little. Then after another drive, lowered it a tiny bit.

It passed the MOT.

Chris Walker
02-10-2009, 03:14
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

"There's a 6mm nut at the bottom corner"

I've taken the headlamps out and looked at them, I have a pair of Lucas headlamps. At the bottom corner there is a threaded rod protruding that can be adjusted with a flat blade screw driver... I'm guessing this is used in the same way as the 6mm nut you mentioned?

Thanks, Chris

Junglist
02-10-2009, 05:58
mine has the rod witch can be turned with flat head screw dvr , just turn it in and out, not sure which is way up or down though

raj
02-10-2009, 06:19
also, what about headlamp alignment? im talking about the headlamp unit itself.

ive got 2 new headlamps fitted but i cannot get them to sit straight!

one side seems more sunken in and the other side seems pretty much flush with the bonnet and wing.

now i cant loosen the nuts that sure the headlamps to the panel as they'll just wobble around. and i cant fit washers as there wont be enough thread for me to put the nuts on.

any ideas?