PDA

View Full Version : Oil in intercooler

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:46
I don't know if it's possible to see if there's any oil in the intercooler (except from blue smoke coming out the exhaust ;))... but if there is oil present... how do I get the stuff out?

James5
26-09-2008, 14:51
Remove the intercooler and use warm water and fairy liquid matey

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:53
What's fairy liquid? :rolleyes:

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 14:57
Never mind...

http://www.uk.pg.com/products/products/fairyLiquid.html

Of course, it's called something else in Holland :laugh:

TNT Tricky Nicky
26-09-2008, 18:02
just wondering if you're running an oil catch tank or not?

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 20:00
just wondering if you're running an oil catch tank or not?

nope... standard system... I only have this pot:

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=68

TNT Tricky Nicky
27-09-2008, 10:25
oil seperators/breather pots can fail with high psi, blowing oil into the boost system. may be worth fittin one. what are other peoples opinion on this?

jantheeven
27-09-2008, 23:12
I've seen them on the internet... 2 hose connections... what do I have to modify and where do I put it? Where does what hose go to in that case?

TNT Tricky Nicky
28-09-2008, 12:33
instead of the breather hose going into the telephone hose you connect it to one of the connectors on the catch tank and on the other you need a oil breather filter so the vapours are released to air rather than recirculated into the boost system.

you can re-route the pipe work so the rocker breather comes back to the crank breather onto a T piece then to the tank getting rid of the oil seperator.

there was an article on the old site, i don't know if anybodys got it saved?

scratcher
28-09-2008, 13:01
i've got it bookmarked, sad i know :ashamed:
http://membres.lycos.fr/r5gt/gtt/cup.htm

jantheeven
29-09-2008, 14:56
Okay thanks... but what do I do with hose 11 in this picture then?

Do I block the carb breather outlet?

http://www.rtoc.org/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=68&d=1221290763

jantheeven
29-09-2008, 14:59
Will this be a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/OIL-CATCH-TANK-ROUND-9MM-15MM-FITTINGS-SILVER_W0QQitemZ200257970034QQihZ010QQcategoryZ722 05QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ebaypho tohosting

It's just 0.75 liters... :rolleyes:

James5
29-09-2008, 15:04
[quote=jantheeven;8835]Okay thanks... but what do I do with hose 11 in this picture then? BIN IT

Do I block the carb breather outlet? YES

:coffee::smokin:

James5
29-09-2008, 15:07
Will this be a good choice?

http://cgi.ebay.nl/OIL-CATCH-TANK-ROUND-9MM-15MM-FITTINGS-SILVER_W0QQitemZ200257970034QQihZ010QQcategoryZ722 05QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ebaypho tohosting

It's just 0.75 liters... :rolleyes:

That would be fine matey, to be honest you could always use a 500ml Coca Cola bottle cut a hole in it and use take the lid of so vapours go to air.

jantheeven
29-09-2008, 15:09
Okay thanks... just checking... because the cup mod diagram says it has to be a 2 liter bottle... ;)

djinuk
29-09-2008, 15:48
it also states a 16mm diameter hose if i remmber right.

jantheeven
29-09-2008, 18:21
yes it does... bit big isn't it?

Dave Reed
29-09-2008, 23:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

oil catch tank should equal to half or more than the capacity of the oil in the engine. if I remember correctly :).

Ian S
29-09-2008, 23:36
I just made my own from a plastic soup bottle.

Leave the oil separator, it does separate most of the oil and return it to the sump, because on phase 1.5 and later at least, that pipe is not a breather, it goes to UNDER the sump oil level.

Just take the hose out of the telephone hose and route to the bottle. You'll find that above maybe 15 psi / maybe 20 psi a little oil does collect in the bottle. Should be not much though.

jantheeven
30-09-2008, 18:13
:confused: I'm a bit confused now mates... do I modify the breather system to the "cup" version and remove the oil breather pot or do I leave the oil breather pot in place AND install an additional oil catch tank?

TNT Tricky Nicky
30-09-2008, 18:57
i wouldn't go to cup mod, keep the seperator as other wise you'll be emptying the catch tank every week / regularly, it just makes it more road friendly as with a race car it would be check each time before it goes out on track.

raj
30-09-2008, 19:02
RIGHT!

do this -

where the breather pot is,replace it with a nylon elbow.

from the elbow fix a length of 13mm pipe and route it to the rocker cover.
at the rocker cover use a T-piece connector to link the pipe from the breather pot and also link it to the rocker cover.
with the other part of the T-piece connector route a length of 13mm pipe to the catch tank.

below i just could get to write under T-piece connector without putting them there:rolleyes:

so its--

.elbow connector---------[B]T-piece ---------catch tank.
...........................................|
...........................................|
....................................rocker cover.

Mart
30-09-2008, 20:53
i wouldn't go to cup mod, keep the seperator as other wise you'll be emptying the catch tank every week / regularly, it just makes it more road friendly as with a race car it would be check each time before it goes out on track.

Only if there's piston blowby/excess crankcase pressure present, otherwise the catch tank should remain fairly dry.

jantheeven
30-09-2008, 22:31
A bit contradictional again... but thanks a lot guys... ;)

James5
30-09-2008, 22:36
Hmmm food for thought for me also on this thread i get a little oil in my catch tank but am runing over 20psi I may put the seperator back in place and still use a catch tank and see if it makes any difference:)

Hopefully by putting the seperator back in it will seperate the oil from the crankcase pressure and not fill my catch tank anymore

jantheeven
01-10-2008, 06:21
But isn't that what a catch tank is for?? It's normal that it "catches oil", right? :laugh: So why still use a seperator as well?

raj
01-10-2008, 10:48
But isn't that what a catch tank is for?? It's normal that it "catches oil", right? :laugh: So why still use a seperator as well?

shut up and get on with it:rolleyes: :D

TNT Tricky Nicky
01-10-2008, 11:57
personally i'm lazy, i don't run high boost, i use it because it was put there for a reason. i redirected the breather system to catch tank because my boost hoses were coated in oily residue, it is also a safe guard in case of mechcanical failure i.e dropping a ring which in turn would blow oil through the breather system, the seperator would reduce the flow of oil

jantheeven
01-10-2008, 14:49
shut up and get on with it:rolleyes: :D

:laugh: yes sir! ;)

So does it matter if you put that T-piece at the rocker cover opening or at the pipe where the original breather pot sits (as shown in the cup mod drawing)?
http://membres.lycos.fr/r5gt/gtt/modifoil.gif

Ian S
01-10-2008, 15:17
They drew that in probably 1984 before they thought of the phase two with the crank case breather turned instead into an oil RETURN.

A cheap and easy way to bang in a crank case breather for a high revving track car is to cut off the oil return and use that to vent gas. A few probably laps won't produce much oil. Though I have known catch tanks fill up after a few laps on track. The remedy. Fit an oil separator.

UNLESS YOU HAVE A VERY OLD 5GTT OR YOU HACKSAWED THE PIPE IN THE SUMP OFF, THAT PIPE IS NOT A BREATHER. IT'S AN OIL RETURN. :)

The only breather is the rocker cover top. That's the only place the fumes come out.

Jeez we really need the articles back. IIRC I had photos of the different sumps different length oil returns but maybe they never made it to an article.

As Mart said, a new build or maybe a well looked after old engine maybe unless it's on 24psi, should produce very little oil in the tank. An older worn one with high boost will produce some. May as well minimise that with an oil separator. That's what they are for :)

jantheeven
01-10-2008, 22:13
Great... that's crystal clear then :agree:

Two last questions... do I leave the 2 plastic flow restrictors that go into the T-piece in the breather hoses? And does the breather hose from the rocker cover go to the top pipe of the original separator pot or to the other one?

raj
01-10-2008, 22:17

Two last questions... do I leave the 2 plastic flow restrictors that go into the T-piece in the breather hoses? And does the breather hose from the rocker cover go to the top or to the bottom of the original separator pot?

just get rid of them, dont forget to remove the one way valve and block it off at the back of the inlet manifold too.

jantheeven
01-10-2008, 22:32
Well... no offense mate... but Ian S and Tricky Nicky do have a point in leaving the original oil separator in place... :scared:

raj
01-10-2008, 22:39
Well... no offense mate... but Ian S and Tricky Nicky do have a point in leaving the original oil separator in place... :scared:

flippin heck:rolleyes: thats your choice! you decide!! just bloody get on with it :D

raj
01-10-2008, 22:43
i have a question too, regarding the phase1 breather type and the phase2 oil return type sumps.....
which one would be best to use if your using a catch tank/no breather pot/blocked inlet manifold..? or would it not actually make any difference?

jantheeven
02-10-2008, 06:05
flippin heck:rolleyes: thats your choice! you decide!! just bloody get on with it :D

LOL :laugh: I have to wait for my shiny new alloy oil catch tank first!!

Good question from your side by the way... I have a ph2 car, but with a rebuilt ph1 engine. Didn't even realise they had different sumps :rolleyes:
What to do... what to do... :D

James5
02-10-2008, 09:43
Well matey just an update from myself thanks to this thread I have put the original oil seperator back in place and I have to put an extra T piece in before it as I run a breather from the front of the block aswell. I then took the car for a good drive home from a fellow RTOC members house about 40 mins away and my catch tank had the smallest amount of oil in it.

All I need to do is tidy up the hoses abit and jobs a goodun.

Top advice again from the RTOC boys.

Ian S
02-10-2008, 13:50

Two last questions... do I leave the 2 plastic flow restrictors that go into the T-piece in the breather hoses? And does the breather hose from the rocker cover go to the top pipe of the original separator pot or to the other one?

I think the two flow restrictors are there to balance the suction from the manifold against the rocker cover outlet and the telephone hose.

If your keeping the pipe to the manifold it's best to keep the restrictors.

Without the pin hole one to the manifold it might suck to much oil / crankcase vacuum.

With the one to the telephone hose / catch tank, the manifold wont suck much if any crankcase vacuum.

jantheeven
02-10-2008, 15:05
That's good news James ;)

Well... to sum it all up for my car (ph2 with ph1 engine): I leave everything in place as it is now, including the 2 flow restrictors in the T-piece... and I route the last breather hose (T-piece to telephone hose) to the new oil catch tank.
Right?? ;)

Ian S
02-10-2008, 15:32
That's what I did, and a few others.

jantheeven
02-10-2008, 15:59
Great :agree: So it doesn't matter that I have a ph1 sump?

Ian S
02-10-2008, 16:29
It may do, but probably doesn't.

If you're sump is so old that the return pipe does not go under the oil, then crank case gas will push back up the pipe and stop separation.

My guess is that all the 5GTT models with the separator had the pipe going under the oil.

Unless anyone can shed more specific knowledge on the early gtt's?

Mart
02-10-2008, 16:35
You're right Ian - There was no actual breather for the sump, regardless of ph1 or ph2 engines. As you say, if there's a separator pot present, it 'dumps' the oil back to the sump, underneath the oil as such...unless you have excessive crankcase pressure present, whereby it then pushes the oil up that pipe & into the breather cct.

jantheeven
02-10-2008, 18:07
Thanks a lot for all the help guys... one final thingy that hasn't been answered yet: does the breather hose from the rocker cover go to the pipe on top or on the side of the original separator pot?

Ian S
03-10-2008, 13:28
It goes to the side.

The gas then swirls around and around, the oil sticking to the sides and running down and the gas rising up and out of the top.