PDA

View Full Version : Spraying a car at Home Help Needed

Arrows
27-09-2009, 19:35
People,

Maybe looking to spray my car at home, done a few in my time and have the full setup but there is a problem and here it comes,

In the past when i have sprayed a car i have had a friend who had a huge warehouse area unused that i could use, just open the door and close it when i go sort of setup, problem is he no longer has it so i need to either find somewhere else which is being difficult or spray it at home.

Now if i do it at home i do have a covered car port which is water tight apart from the front on it but i can not just shove the car under and spray as the over spray ect will go everywhere the wife will be unhappy.

Anyone come up with a plan in the past of how they have managed to enclose them selfs in a car port or similar and been able to spray, i have looked at plastic sheeting and sheet the whole area up but wondered if anyone had a better idea.

Thanks.

Arrows
27-09-2009, 21:55
:confused:

JRP
27-09-2009, 22:21
unless your pretty hand with a spray gun it may end up looking rubbish, especialy if its done in a area thats not really desinged for painting...

Any hoooo plastic sheets all round etc try make it wind free as this will ruin your car, i dealy somwhere that wont have dust or grit blown around once spraying has ended...

Alot or arsing and titing tbh.... and then there is the task of getting it right.. not as easy as ABC.

Ile prob get told to shut up, but id leave it to people who do it for a living.

For example dave at sbs?

Arrows
27-09-2009, 22:28
The spraying part is not an issue, done a lot in my time and can get a decent finish as long as the prep work is put in, just got all the toys but no where to use them and feel why pay someone to do it when it can be done yourself.

Thanks for the heads up though.

djinuk
28-09-2009, 07:14
3m do a plastic sheeting thats used for masking large areas of car, i believe this is very good as its gota charge when it comes off the roll and actually collects dust etc to it, rather than letting it float in the air. Failing that , cheapo tarpolin ?

Andrew Cooke
28-09-2009, 08:25
do you have space for a cheap frame tent, or marquee?

Arrows
28-09-2009, 08:29
do you have space for a cheap frame tent, or marquee?

Now that could work a tent, great idea ill have a look.

Arrows
28-09-2009, 08:30
3m do a plastic sheeting thats used for masking large areas of car, i believe this is very good as its gota charge when it comes off the roll and actually collects dust etc to it, rather than letting it float in the air. Failing that , cheapo tarpolin ?

The 3M sheet sound great anyone know a part number or where this can be brought?

djinuk
28-09-2009, 10:40
I havnt got a part number sorry mate, but im sure if you were to phone jawels or similar they can help you out. Failing that a large cheapo spec gazebbo, however id probably not spray it until its a bit warmer, moisture in the air could be a ball ache me thinks.

Purple_rob
28-09-2009, 16:46
Wilkinsons do a cheap dust sheet thats quite large. A few of those could do the job.

I always thought if I needed to spray in a similar way i'd give that a go.

It could be worth having a fan and venting air out of your enclosure and maybe build a filter, apollo 13 style as I bet the neighbours will love you. Well they will once there high on the fumes LOL

Personally when I spray in my shed for the odd small part I use a large desk fan at the door and it just sucks the over spray + dust out.

I assume theres no way your painting in water base, coz that is just not going to work :wasntme: