PDA

View Full Version : turbo-ing a campus engine

tom t
25-09-2009, 14:28
could i just stick the gt turbo head and carb etc onto the campus 1397cc engine with the uprated gasket and it would be ok? or are more mods needed? thanks

Sparkie
25-09-2009, 14:35
pistons and oil pump need changing.
it will also need a gt turbo flywheel too?

markey b
25-09-2009, 14:44
i had a 1.4 n/a with a TDC sensor, dunno if the patterns are different though?!

you'll also need to swap the sump, with the oil return and blank off the mechanical fuel pump on the front

gtmatt
25-09-2009, 15:04
If u were doing it correctly put a gt lump in there makes life easy or buy a gt turbo car itself

Frix
25-09-2009, 15:32
could i just stick the gt turbo head and carb etc onto the campus 1397cc engine with the uprated gasket and it would be ok? or are more mods needed? thanks

hi mate, i would say your best bet is to speak to Colin aka the master.

Hes done this and would be able to advise you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

James5
25-09-2009, 15:59
Is there a 1397cc campus or are you talking about the 1390cc??

I have converted a C3J 1390cc block to C1J 1397cc.

As already mentioned above you can't use the following parts from the the 1390cc block:

Parts to disguard
Pistons + rings,
Liners,
Oil pump (Must no use even though some tuners have sold these as uprated versions they are not),
Flywheel,
Sump (as no oil return),
Timing chain tensioner,
Cam (can be used but not as good as C1J),

Parts that can be re-used
Crank,
Con rods + caps,
Cam followers,
Push rods,

In order to use the 1390cc block you need to modify / adapt the following:

1) Drill the blanking plug out that sits behind the 1390cc timing chain tensioner,
2) This next alteration may not be needed to be done this all depends if you run an external or standard oil cooler system if you are using an external oil cooler system you can ignore this alteration. For people using the standard oil cooler system the bolt that the original C3J oil filter screws onto must come out in order to fit the standard oil cooler system sandwich plate. This may be awkward to remove but possible with some force.
Once this is all done just whack all the parts you would use in your C1J then whack on a GTT gasket & head. When doing this conversion and all mods done just treat it like a C1J so torque / tighten it as you would for the C1J.

tom t
25-09-2009, 20:36
why would i need to buy a gt when ive allready got one hey :cooter:

thanks for the info and help guys.
after all of that though it seems a lot better of an option to stick my spare gt lump in it lol. might even re-build it. at least do all of the gaskets.

:agree: