PDA

View Full Version : unusual induction noise on boost

tobester
25-09-2009, 13:39
Hey peeps, just after some suggestions on what a noise could be, on full acceleration the audible rush of air in to the turbocharger flutters, really difficult to explain but it sounds similar to backing off throttle without a dumpvalve, or as if something was blocking off and releasing the inlet to the turbocharger very rapidly, it only happens at full boost(15psi) on full acceleration at around 5500rpm onwards. Any suggestions as to what it could be? :confused:

soapymech
25-09-2009, 13:57
Hey peeps, just after some suggestions on what a noise could be, on full acceleration the audible rush of air in to the turbocharger flutters, really difficult to explain but it sounds similar to backing off throttle without a dumpvalve, or as if something was blocking off and releasing the inlet to the turbocharger very rapidly, it only happens at full boost(15psi) on full acceleration at around 5500rpm onwards. Any suggestions as to what it could be? :confused:
a friend of mine had a similar problem turned out his turbo was mullered he didnt get much smoke from exhaust but his intercooler was filled up with oil and on full boost you could hear a kind of chatter as the oil was forced through:sad2:

markey b
25-09-2009, 19:46
is the actuator crap, and not holding the wastegate arm properly, causing it to fluctuate? i know that the VNT's do this if they are set to spool to fast

Os8472
25-09-2009, 21:01
the hybrid t2 i had from bbpt did this, lasted 6 months of just weekend driving before the bearing was so shagged that the compression side turbine was taking chunks out of the housing, bbpt said there was nothing wrong with it :sad2:

michael tierney
26-09-2009, 12:43
i got 2 noise in mine through the years;one was the cool air solenoid on the bulkhead leaking and the other was the telefone hose being loose!!

dave j gtt
26-09-2009, 13:50
i always think my car sounds wierd, when i leave the bonnet catch open.

i relise if you dont slam it down and the catch aint holding bonnet,

it wobbles and and you can hear the induction fluttering. ;)

dave j gtt
26-09-2009, 13:53
which makes me think this colds getting me down :(

of out to listen to my r5 gtt induction noise whiles am on boost ...

tobester
26-09-2009, 16:02
No smoke from turbo in any form, and no oil present in any boost pipes or intercooler. I've had the turbo fitted for around 6 months now and it's only since I added the k-tec actuator and wound the boost up to 15psi it's started producing the noise. I like the actuator suggestion, although it holds steady boost at 15psi according to my boost guage??:confused: