PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an A Frame

djinuk
25-09-2009, 11:32
Ok, basically i need to take my car to the bodyshop to complete it 4 seperate times, 205 gti , no front bumper on it , pretty low to the floor. I could either pay the guy that usally does any recovery work for me or im looking at buying myself a one man A frame, which im sure if it does the job would easilly pay for itself in very little time.

I just thought before i look at buying one i would ask on here what to expect etc

im looking at this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-RECOVERY-A-FRAME-TOWING-DOLLY-DIRECT-FROM-GMV_W0QQitemZ160364505656QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_3?hash=item2556782a38&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The new Bill J
25-09-2009, 15:33
That's the one I had, and it was bob-on :agree:

djinuk
25-09-2009, 15:46
exactly what i wanted to hear, are they easy enough to use ?, im guessin its a case of extending it , chaining and strapping around the wishbones, checking its all tight and driving ?

The new Bill J
25-09-2009, 15:55
exactly what i wanted to hear, are they easy enough to use ?, im guessin its a case of extending it , chaining and strapping around the wishbones, checking its all tight and driving ?

:agree:

Piece of Coke, can of cake!

Winston
25-09-2009, 17:56
Best thing since sliced bread tbh

My mate has one and we have towed cars up and down the country with it with no probs... It must be coming close to covering 10k miles

The laws on them are not very clear.... ie towing weights, Tax & MOT... but if you look like you know what your doing the Police wouldn't give you a second look TBH

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-09-2009, 19:23
A-Frame's

The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car’s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car’s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300 - 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on 01926 886100.
An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way.

The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal.

However, it is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

-------

Saying that i have Billy's old one and use it all the time :agree:

Winston
25-09-2009, 20:10
Where did you find that info Penfold?

Ive read similar info from searching google but not the illegal to transport bit... even towing dollies :O

Penfold aka The Dealer
25-09-2009, 20:14
Where did you find that info Penfold?

Ive read similar info from searching google but not the illegal to transport bit... even towing dollies :O

I got that info from a book published by the DSA & DVLA...

A-Frames & Dollys are for recovery only, also any form of towing the said towed car must be road legal (Mot, Tax & Insured) if has any wheels on the ground.

djinuk
26-09-2009, 09:19
sweet well ive purchased one, should it help get myself or anything friends out the **** :)