PDA

View Full Version : turbo?

tom t
25-09-2009, 00:24
ive just got in from giving the 5 some beans lol. Was beaning it for longer and harder then i usually do. i started to smell something funny on the motorway. So i parked up let the turbo spin down and i turned the car off. then i got some smoke coming through the bonnet. There is a bit of oil in the bay. The smoke was coming from inbetween the turbo and turbo elbow. And there looked like oil was seaping through. absolutly gutted if it has gave up the goose? Could anyone have a geuss at how much it would cost to rebuild a ktec 230 turbo. I will pm adam 2moz as im on me mobile cheers!

JRP
25-09-2009, 00:27
300 odd quid... could just be oil dripping onto somthing hot, and burning up.

Check all connections before you panic about the turbo

tom t
25-09-2009, 00:33
not to bad then i would get a 360 bearing whilst at it. My breather filter is above the turbo so was thinking maybe it was breatíng heavy n spat the oil out. Will inspect better in the light 2moz. There was no smoke at idle couldnt check whilst on boost. Could there be a possibility that the gasket had started to melt? Cheers

JRP
25-09-2009, 00:34
which one of the many gaskets do you mean ?

It could be such a simple thing you think is wrong... so dont assume worst straight away... you so siwwy

tom t
25-09-2009, 07:19
haha. the gasket between the turbo elbow and the turbo its self. think i might be dreaming though.

looked this morning before i took the missus car lol, and it doesnt seemd to have lost any oil on the dipstick.

tom t
25-09-2009, 20:39
it doesnt seem to be the turbo. ive had the elbow off. and replaced the gasket.

when i was doing this there seemed to be quite alot of oil built up on my oil breather filter im hoping it was this droping on the turbo and i couldnt see it in the dark.

there is no blue smoke or any other colour.

the only problem now is that ive snapped a bit of a bolt in the turbo elbow by tightening it to much as it wasnt the standard bolt.

really need some tips on how to get this out? as im stuck. if worse comes to worse could i drill it completley out and use a nut and bolt?

thanks alot:agree:

GTphil
25-09-2009, 22:14
take your breather filter off and and run the pipe into a tempory catch tank, something clear like a small plastic bottle of coke.

If you get a considerable amount of oil in the catch tank then you know where the oil came from;)

If you running a lot of boost for extended periods (like on the motorway) your engine my be blowing oil out of the breather system. If the filter is over the turbo the oil comes out then lands on the turbo hence the smoke.

I had a similar problem for quite a while and I caused mine from running lots of boost on a tiny turbo for extended periods of time and the heat build up caused the oil control ring to shrink down on the pistons and the engine to blow oil out of the breather on boost.

Just a thought. worth checking it out with the catch tank tho!;)

tom t
25-09-2009, 22:49
will try a pikey catch tank then, i did pull some black tape out from inside it so it might have been all cloged up.

also i had been giving it full boost for longer then i usually do on the motorway.