PDA

View Full Version : never done head gasket before

mad manz
25-09-2008, 23:37
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

has anyone done a head gasket before and can you tell me how involved the job is? and how long it take? is there any small bits i need to remember when doing this jobs? thanks guys

Roach
25-09-2008, 23:46

has anyone done a head gasket before and can you tell me how involved the job is? and how long it take? is there any small bits i need to remember when doing this jobs? thanks guys

Piece of cake m8

If you get stuck just ask questions on here.

I personally have done a h/g in 3.5 hours.

But I would say take your time and do things properly :o:smokin:

Ross99
25-09-2008, 23:51
never done the 5 but done a few k series rover heads its purly take your time as said make sure everything is done in the correct manor and torqued right and, any issues stop and ask.

does your head need skimming? has the car over heated badly or are you simply uprating?

mightymanx
26-09-2008, 00:53

ive done 2 head gaskets before and there no problem just follows the manual and ull be fine :cool2:

TommyB
26-09-2008, 09:16
Ask RICHIE, he's a pro! :D

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 15:03
I've done it myself too for the first time, a couple of weeks ago... if you have a Haynes manual, then you can do it. There's really nothing to it! You can even leave the water pump, manifolds and carburettor on. But if you do, it's easier if you have someone to help you put it back on again, as it's pretty heavy and difficult to place it in the correct position without the head gasket shifting all the time! I couldn't manage by myself anyway... ;)

Adam L
26-09-2008, 15:05
You can leave nearly everything connected doing the head gasket. Just lift the head up, take the old one out and slip the new one in. It should take about 45 minutes.

raj
26-09-2008, 15:30
i wouldnt risk lifting the head straight off as you may pull a liner out with it.! undo the bolts and twist the head left n right on its locating dowel then slowly lift it off.

jantheeven
26-09-2008, 16:21
I agree ;)

mightymanx
27-09-2008, 00:44

a trick i thought handy when doing the head gasket was as a few people have said
when trying to put the head back on the head gasket moves about all the time so makes it hard.
what i did to stop this was get 2 old head bolts put them in ither a pair of mole grips.
or vice and chop the heads off with a hack saw then screw the
bolts 1 in each corner of the block hand tight.
then whack the head gasket over the bolts put the head on
take 1 old bolt out stick a new bolt in the corner then put all the other new 1s in.
then keep the bolts u have chopped the heads off in ur tool box incase u want to do another 1 a handy tip i learnt my self :)

mad manz
27-09-2008, 00:52

the thing is were is the best place to take the exhaust mainfold off ? or where is the best place near the turbo?

raj
27-09-2008, 01:18
if you want to take the head off with the manifolds still attached all you need to do is undo the 2 turbo downpipe to turbo elbow bolts. i find it easier than unbolting the bolts that hold the turbo elbow onto the turbo,there more of a risk a them snapping too.

mightymanx
27-09-2008, 18:13

if you want to take the head off with the manifolds still attached all you need to do is undo the 2 turbo downpipe to turbo elbow bolts. i find it easier than unbolting the bolts that hold the turbo elbow onto the turbo,there more of a risk a them snapping too.

ive always found it easyier to undo it from the back of the turbo :)

raj
27-09-2008, 18:22

ive always found it easyier to undo it from the back of the turbo :)
umm ok! i think i find it easier undoing 2 bolts than 4/5 that may snap in the turbo housing. id rather not take that risk.

mightymanx
28-09-2008, 00:15

umm ok! i think i find it easier undoing 2 bolts than 4/5 that may snap in the turbo housing. id rather not take that risk.

just usually when i do a turbo etc the 2 bolts 4 the exhaust are always seized :cry: and some 1 before me has undone the 4 maybe 1 day if i ever have another 5 it will undo ur way :cool2:

Andrew Cooke
28-09-2008, 10:03
when you come to lift the head off you may find it only lifts a bit, then gets stuck.

There is a strap from one of the head-manifold bolts down to where the cross over pipe joins the exhaust.:(

RICHIE
28-09-2008, 14:56

Ask RICHIE, he's a pro! :D

thanks mate must be down to the practice ive had found out its not the gudgeon pin thats loose its the fact its so far from centre it protrudes the piston scoring the liner:eek:

Markey Mark (BD)
28-09-2008, 15:35

thanks mate must be down to the practice ive had found out its not the gudgeon pin thats loose its the fact its so far from centre it protrudes the piston scoring the liner:eek:

So it has either moved and seized back up or wasn't put in all the way in the first place.

mike's r5
28-09-2008, 16:18

make sure u do the tappets after coz i done my head gasket a couple of months ago and did'nt do them and bent a push rod coz they get put out coz of the mill u skim off.