PDA

View Full Version : Turbo in bits.. I have questions??

Nick k
23-09-2009, 17:28
I have taken 2 turbo's to bits:

T2 - This has a oil leak on the exhaust housing. Looking at the shaft all i can work out is that there is a like a sprung washer with a cut in it that locates in the exhaust housing. Is this the rear oil seal? How does the rear oil seal work??

T2 - T25 This again has a oil leak from the rear housing but the seal on the shaft seems different being a solid o ring like a washer. It has big play in the shaft (left to right) which would appear the thrust bearing (360) is in 2 bits and it looks like there was little roller bearing that the thrust bearing ran on are long gone if that what the 6 little cuts in the bearing where for.

Some advice would be handy please.

Nick k
23-09-2009, 18:17
Pictures of T2 shaft, and T2/T25 shaft and thrust bearing.

Adam L
23-09-2009, 18:53
There's no rollerbearings in those, that's a thrust bearing. Rollerbearing turbo's don't run thrust bearings. You'd probably have alot of ttourble taking a rollerbearing apart too, as they're far more compliacted than a journal type, which is what those two are.

Both shafts will have the same ring, there's no such thing as a solid type, they'll both have the sealing gap in them. The reason why you probably can't see the gap in the T25 is because it's more ****ed than the T2.

The oil ring sinply stops the oil from passing out of the exhaust, it seals once the shaft is fitted to the bearing housing. You'll notice a slight recess on the back side of the bearing housing, it may be slightly ****ted up though, as they always are.

I don't see a T25 in those pictures either, just two T2's

Nick k
23-09-2009, 19:15
yea they are T2 shafts you can see. one of the turbo's has a bigger compressor wheel and machined housing, Do you think i can repair either of these turbo's or will i have to send them to you to get sorted?? Cheers

Adam L
23-09-2009, 19:25
With the wear that's happened on those thrust bearings, I can gaurantee the ring land on the turbine wheel is going to need machining for an oversized ring. Depnding on how bad the shafts are, they could also need a re-grind for larger bearings too.

Nick k
25-09-2009, 01:04
Ok, Cheers adam. will be in touch :agree: