PDA

View Full Version : New engine fitted.....running problems, as expected!....please advise

Nick13
23-09-2009, 00:12
Hi all,
I'm new to GTT's and had a proper bad start..............Lets just say things were so bad I had to buy a replacement engine.
Anyhow, me and my mate have fitted a new lump with carb, clutch & turbo.
It was a bit of an experience, but quite a laugh if theres two of you moaning and swearing at it!
There were the expected leaks, which are now cured and the engine starts first try, which is a shock after the trouble I had trying to start the previous one...........However, as always, theres another problem reared its head.....the engine revs at idle are up and down and won't stabilise........."Air leak" is what we're thinking........but where the hell to start looking????????
All the pipework is connected up properly and there are no visible problems........I'm amazed it actually runs!!!!!, but have no knowledge of these cars whatsoever, neither does my mate, so we're going blind with it.
Anybody experienced this before?
Suggestions as to where to start looking would be brilliant.

Thanks

Nick

JRP
23-09-2009, 00:24
carb base, make sure its sealed.

make sure all jets are clean and clear in the carb.

Might have a wicked cam lol:crap:

mightymanx
23-09-2009, 00:27
i would also check top dead sensor lead is connected proply with no breaks as this can cause tick over/ running problems also check exhaust bolts turbo tightness carb etc

James5
23-09-2009, 08:56
Check the breather system to make sure the 2 x restrictors are in place that is if you run the OE breather system, I would also check the one way valves aswell, and do as JRP has already mentioned.

Matt Cole
23-09-2009, 09:45
Check the breather system to make sure the 2 x restrictors are in place that is if you run the OE breather system, I would also check the one way valves aswell, and do as JRP has already mentioned.

:agree:

Nick13
23-09-2009, 13:18
thanks chaps..update later, this site is excellent!

Bommer
23-09-2009, 15:02
also try tickover screw m8 just take it out give it a blow see if that helps

Nick13
24-09-2009, 01:42
No joy, tried everything except the tdc sensor..........(because I don't know what one is, and will have to look it up in my Haynes manual when I get home)

Starts up lovely, even had a little drive down a private lane behind my mates house, all good........but the tickover is lousy...it's up and down like a rollercoaster between 1000 and 3000 revs, it won't settle..........it's infuriating to say the least.

We were a bit worried about the water circulation, the top hose was cool so we first tried a new thermostat, again we were worried because of the same symptoms......so out came the thermostat and everything was as it should be.......fan kicking in and everything running properly (apart from the tickover/idle problem).

I could easily lose my temper with this car now................nothings been easy, everything we try to do is a nightmare and over complicated......

I think when/if its sorted I might have to sell it........it's way too much hassle

IANMM
24-09-2009, 09:03
carb off loads of carb cleaner........

have you de-chocked it?

start engine rev it while putting your had around the carb to see if you can feel any air being blown out anywheres.....

Matt Cole
24-09-2009, 12:50
There wont be any air blowing out unless its on boost.

Bommer
24-09-2009, 14:30
your tdc wire is connected to the top of your gearbox 2 10m boltz i think.Also take the mixture screw out then flick your ignition a few times the 1 other thing i can think of is there shud be restricter in your breather system check to see if its inplace m8.

Nick13
24-09-2009, 18:09
Thanks for the extra info and where the tdc sensor is.......will give it a go.
Having a break tonight because it's getting on my nerves a bit..........I want to thrash it with a big stick!

markey b
24-09-2009, 19:18
start it up and let it idle, then spray carb cleaner on the carb, inlet etc until the revs rise, then you've found your leak...

also, check there is an o ring seal on the idle jet (the big brass flathead screw on the drives side of the carb above the mixture screw)

mightymanx
24-09-2009, 23:56
yer check the whole tdc sensor mate check its not been burned by ur turbo usual problem so check the wires are complete it goes from top of gear box to ecu

Nick13
26-09-2009, 14:35
Thanks chaps

c5 swh
26-09-2009, 22:12
As previosly said Check TDC sensor and clean idle jet, when you think the jet is clean do it 2 more times to make sure;)

I had simular probelms with mine when i first started mine:( turned out to idle jet:)

Miller
27-09-2009, 01:00
start it up and let it idle, then spray carb cleaner on the carb, inlet etc until the revs rise, then you've found your leak...

also, check there is an o ring seal on the idle jet (the big brass flathead screw on the drives side of the carb above the mixture screw)

:agree:

When you take out the brass screw on the drivers side, take the bullet out from inside it and blow it out. You will see their is a small hole so have a look to see if it is blocked before you blow it out.

Chris:)

Nick13
27-09-2009, 15:57
Thanks for all these suggestions chaps......Had a couple of days away from it to calm myself down!.....................Tomorrows the night!..................Where's that stick?:mad: