PDA

View Full Version : gutted and anoyed , headgasket failure on new car!

djinuk
21-09-2009, 22:26
**** ok ive copied the following of the 106 owners club as i think the guy i brought the car off may be on there, however i though i would post it on here for you lot to see*****

Ok, today i brought a 1.4 106 quicksilver for my girlfriend from autotrader. The car came from a lad who may or once was on here. I brought it based on him telling me the temp sensor had failed causing the gauge to go straight to max (which indeed was the case), however he assured me the car was fine and he had been driving it like it with no problems. No mayo in the oil etc no signs of hg failure. The advert also stated the car had had the thermostat replaced (odd thing to state in a advert). Anyway after purchasing the car as mechanically fine etc we traveled a few miles before we had an ocasional missfire, a few more miles and the hg failed. The rac recovered us and im told the thermostat had failed causing it to overheat, he also mentioned the thermostat was ancient and had not been changed recently at all.

I text the lad stating i was sat on the m42 waiting for recoevery due to blown headgasket... he has yet to reply... for now i will give him the benefit of the doubt and i hope he responds and await the explanation.

Very gutted , pissed off, feel bad upon my girlfriend who was relying on this to get her to work tomorrow. Also we have a HG bill awaiting.

I hope the guy gets in contact and that there is a genuine reason for him not doing so already.

Sorry for the rant folks

post 2

he car was owned by a young lad.. 18 to be sure, so not in the trade etc, however he did not get me to sign a sold as seen receipt, simply because i was not buying the car as scene , i was buying as described by himself and the advert.

the lad did not get back in touch (nice to see his concern of his mechanically sound car blowing a headgasket after 10 mins ...hey) however this afternoon he answered his phone..

He states he does not believe himself to be liable in anyway, however I have a garage who are looking at the car who are willing to enter a engineers report in the matter as they believe the hg was already gone and there it was covered up as stated previously, the oil was fresh and the oil filter was brand spanking new. I believe with this report aswell as the proof of RAC recovery and rac diagnosis (the guy really new what he was on about) i will stand good ground should it come to it to take matters further.

Cheers for your concern in this matter guys, its a shame we now live in a world whereby nobody can be trusted.

The lad actually was angry as my text woke him up (the txt 10 mins after leaving his house) (at approx 3:30).

HULK
21-09-2009, 22:35
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

did you buy this privately then???

zinc
21-09-2009, 22:40
Did you not take it for a test drive?

LampsR5
21-09-2009, 22:48
kill him.

djinuk
21-09-2009, 23:19
indeed it was a private sale.. was taken for a short test drive, (no insurance to take for a long one) , however no problems there other than the fact the car felt pretty slow, (what do you expect after driving r5 gt's)

Ive found sections within the Sale of Goods Act 1979 that should come of benefit.

'• Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale)' (surely a car with hg failure should be sold as spare or repair)

'• If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit'

• In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years). (the car lasted 10 mins, I have a garage willing to view the car and give me a report on this and there thoughts)

just a few points that i believe i have ground upon.

The car was not sold as seen but instead the car was sold as a mechanically sound vehicle, I personally think he hoped it lasted out a few days so that it seemed to just be my bad luck.. however everything appears to be that the headgasket was actually covered up.. (snapped sensor so that temp reading could not be monitored), fresh oil, fresh oil filter, im even wondering if possibly the headgasket was already changed however the thermostat was not, and this is the second time its ate the headgasket, my reason for thinking this is that the car has had a fresh cambelt and the headgasket appears to be relatively new, also all manifold bolts etc were free and easy and the headbolts where marked up with tipex and looked fresh (for measuring angles).

(has the thought ever crossed your mind when a cars gone wrong twice in quick succession just to get rid of it).

TrixNFlix
21-09-2009, 23:28
Hi damian, sorry to here about the 106, sounds similar to when I bought my gtt without knowing the headgasket was gone. I honestly think you will struggle getting any money back off the guy. I know it's wrong but I think the best thing to do is sort I out and forget about the former owner, otherwise it might cause long term stress and hassle for you and your misses.

djinuk
21-09-2009, 23:48
Hi damian, sorry to here about the 106, sounds similar to when I bought my gtt without knowing the headgasket was gone. I honestly think you will struggle getting any money back off the guy. I know it's wrong but I think the best thing to do is sort I out and forget about the former owner, otherwise it might cause long term stress and hassle for you and your misses.

yea i understand exactly what you are saying man, by all means though i will certainly give it a shot. His mum and himself live in a very posh area and probably believe themselves to be above caring to some degree..

I will let you know what goes on over this next week or two.

5alldaway
22-09-2009, 00:47
i will eat his dog for you deej :devil:

Kenobi
22-09-2009, 08:37
yea i understand exactly what you are saying man, by all means though i will certainly give it a shot. His mum and himself live in a very posh area and probably believe themselves to be above caring to some degree..

Mate if ya can get all the details my old boy has successfully recovered money from Tuners recently that blew cars up on rollers. We would love a shot at this on a no win no fee basis? what dya think?

Sparkie
22-09-2009, 08:56
i will eat his dog for you deej :devil:

steady on Jaws...
you're on a diet mate - so no you won't :agree:

http://www.graphicsarcade.com/funny_pictures/foods/Delicious%20Dog.gif

djinuk
22-09-2009, 09:06
steady on Jaws...

hehe soo random man, hes got a dog funny enuf

Gttnutter
22-09-2009, 09:35
hope you sort it out with the guy. just dont give up untill you get something out of him :agree:

TrixNFlix
22-09-2009, 11:30

Coolio :cool:. Hope you get a quick conclusion damian. :agree:

5alldaway
22-09-2009, 12:04
steady on Jaws...

:laugh::agree::wasntme: