PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with running issue please

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 11:36
:scratch:Hi I'm having problems with my 5 it's not idling properly and when it gets hot it's not reving its just stutters and stalls when you put your foot to the floor. I have tried cleaning out idle jet/ serviced carb but this has made no difference I have tried replacing the fuel filter also has made no difference(I did this at the same time as servicing the carb). I can get the car to idle and rev when coldbut idles at approx 2000 revs and am not sure what path to take next could anyone help please cheers

Dave Reed
19-09-2009, 11:56
did you take the idle jut out of it's holder when cleaning? also might be worth spraying a little carb cleaner in the idle jt hole on carb.

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:00
did you put the mixture screw back in...

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 12:03
yea i took out i took out the idle jet took it apart and cleaned it all out and the part it was sitting in. i was wondering about what position i leave it in when putting it back on the car as i wasnt sure if there was a set position or if you must adjust it

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 12:06
yea i followed the carb servicing article and i had nothing left over from which i removed. is the mixture screw the one thats one the bottom half of the carb with what looks like a cover around it

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:11
feel free to pop it over if you can drive it one night in the week... see what night us lot are meeting up we shall give it a once over for you :)

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:14
Ohh try taking the carb off, pop some sealant on the bottem gaskets.. you have one beefy plastic one and a thin one either side of it, seal them to the plastic one.. dont seal the to the carb!, maybe a dab round to the inlet. see if that cures it.

Other thing is, have you got the restrictors in the breather pipes that go to the carb, or did one maybe fall out?

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 12:24
im not sure what do the restrictors look like has have just replaced all pipes with runn cool pipes including all the breather pipes which i purchased off of ebay. The car is off road at the moment with no tax.

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:30
im not sure what do the restrictors look like has have just replaced all pipes with runn cool pipes including all the breather pipes which i purchased off of ebay. The car is off road at the moment with no tax.

In your breather pipes their should be two restrictors.

at the t-peice where the breathers join their should be one to back of carb, and one the runs along rocker (inside the pipes that come off the t piece)

check the old breather hoses for them they are little black circular things that slot onto/into the hoses :)

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:31
its been a while so i think should i say that its those two breather pipes:)

JRP
19-09-2009, 12:56
pic of hoses for referance

http://www.rtoc.org/files/Technical%20Files/Scoff/silicone-hoses.jpg

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 13:32
I have a t piece on there but it's just a t piece nothing special I still have the old one but I couldn't fit the pipes on to it the only difference is the holes are slightly smaller on the old one would this still cause the problem. Thanks for helping me by the way do appriciate it

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 13:45
Right just checked old pipes and I think I found one of the restrictors but it was all broken up is there somewhere I could get newones from or is the something I can use instead

JRP
19-09-2009, 13:51
I have 2 for my rebuild. you can have them for what they cost.. then i can replace when i need to... if you like..

Chris Holt
19-09-2009, 14:48
yea sure how much would you want for them

JRP
19-09-2009, 15:21
you wanna pop up and get them im only in tadworth?? hold on pm

JRP
21-09-2009, 13:51
Parts posted:agree: