PDA

View Full Version : Alloy polishing

James5
18-09-2009, 15:58
As per title I have just purchased a used BBPT alloy carb top (Fecking heavy thing) anyway it is rather dull and does need to have rather a few deep scratches :( sorted and be fully polished up again.

I have pm'd a couple of company's that I have found whilst google searching and await responses.

Does anyone on hear offer the service or know of anyone who can do a good job of it? and if so how much.

Cheers James:cooter:

Brigsy
18-09-2009, 16:04
Do it yourself mate, a couple of hours work will sort it :)

Id personally take the heavy scratches out with 1500/2000 wet & dry, then use a metal polishing compound i.e autosol with a buffing head to polish it up.

clee
18-09-2009, 16:17
All it takes is time ...and working through the grades . Don't start too light or you'll be there for years .Depends on the depth of marks but usually I'd start with 800 then 1200 then etc .....finish polish with brasso mixed with parrafin .
Do the 800 dry but the rest wet

The new Bill J
18-09-2009, 16:24
All it takes is time ..

Unless you buy a metal polishing kit for a bench grinder. Then it takes minutes :D

Spooky
18-09-2009, 16:28
Jack your car up...tape a polishing pad/brush/stick/wadding to the tyre...stick it in 4th @ around 60mph, thats about 4krpm...grab the carb top, make sure its lubed obviously...go forth and injure yourself :laugh:

clee
18-09-2009, 16:29
Unless you buy a metal polishing kit for a bench grinder. Then it takes minutes :D

But where's the fun in that :rolleyes:
You need to have sore fingers ...no pain etc

The new Bill J
18-09-2009, 16:35
But where's the fun in that :rolleyes:

The fun is in pulling all the little black bits of compound out of your nose for the next three days :laugh:

markey b
18-09-2009, 18:34
james, the best way is pop it in the post to me, and i'll send ya back a black plastic one FOC that doesn't need polishing :cooter:

bench grinder with polishing wheel is by far the quickest, my friend has one so everytime my engine is out i take a box of bits over for a polish :)

gttjames
18-09-2009, 19:58
Yep it can be done by hand, like advice allready posted, start with 800ish, then to 1200, then wet and dry, then autosol. Will look nice

James5
18-09-2009, 20:05
james, the best way is pop it in the post to me, and i'll send ya back a black plastic one FOC that doesn't need polishing :cooter:

bench grinder with polishing wheel is by far the quickest, my friend has one so everytime my engine is out i take a box of bits over for a polish :)

Well Mark that sounds fantastic Not :laugh:
spent the last 1hr doing some 800 wet sanding and already looking alot better cleaned it up for now and just chucked it on the car going to get some finer grit wet and dry stuff tomoz and some metal polish.

Cheers for all the advice

Woody
18-09-2009, 23:04
Well Mark that sounds fantastic Not :laugh:
spent the last 1hr doing some 800 wet sanding and already looking alot better cleaned it up for now and just chucked it on the car going to get some finer grit wet and dry stuff tomoz and some metal polish.

Cheers for all the advice800 if its done by hand and when your happy use autosol,frost on the web sell a kit but autosol works as good, try a small mop on drill in vice you be supprised with the results:)

James5
19-09-2009, 23:08
Cheers for all the advice guys have only done the 800wet and dry and a it of brasso and it looks alot better already, ordered some more bits to do a better job but imperfections have come out well.

Many thanks