PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure on GTA V6

clee
18-09-2009, 15:44
I've obtained a gauge to check pressure at the block as when hot the in car gauge drops right off and the warning light comes on .
It is reading 1.4 bar at 900/idle and it should be 2.2 min but at 4k it is where it should be at over 4.5bar .
The lump is coming out anyway for the head but just wondering where to look for the low pressure :scratch: Pump/wear in block ?
Or, just had a thought ,it could have the 2.8 n/a pump in by mistake as that is 1bar at idle min .

clee
03-10-2009, 13:54
Found the problem .

Headbolts not torqued down properly :sad2: This was done by a ' professional ' engine builder :eek:
Not sure how loose but I could undo on my short ratchet with very little effort ..normally needs a 2' bar .
This would explain .................

Os8472
03-10-2009, 14:01
Found the problem .

Headbolts not torqued down properly :sad2: This was done by a ' professional ' engine builder :eek:
Not sure how loose but I could undo on my short ratchet with very little effort ..normally needs a 2' bar .
This would explain .................

The second a so called expert so he's a professional amd that he knows everything my BS detector goes off, what a cock, go back to him and have a moan

clee
03-10-2009, 14:25
Luckily it's not one of my engines . I can feck them up just as well though but it doesn't cost me as much :laugh:
This is the lump out of the red GTA that I'm sorting for one of the Alpine lads .It hwas overheating and showing very low oil pressure at tickover .I have dropped another lump in from a wrecker that he has purchased and fingers crossed that will fire up and be fine .

clee
03-10-2009, 15:11
Oh ,they didn't bother to put the gaskets ,real or gunk on the timing cover either so we have metal to metal :scratch:

clee
06-10-2009, 19:22
Not the best way to seal the liners either :rolleyes: I just wonder how long it would have been before the engine siezed ......

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:23
Not the best way to seal the liners either :rolleyes: I just wonder how long it would have been before the engine siezed ......

:eek: what the feck

TrixNFlix
06-10-2009, 19:26
There's some shody work on your mates engine.:sad2:
Is it pfte tape they used?

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:27
There's some shody work on your mates engine.:sad2:
Is it pfte tape they used?

Looks like silicone sealent

clee
06-10-2009, 19:37
Looks like silicone sealent

Yep ...gallons of it ,all ready to fall off and block the pickup .The liners were all down very close to the block so no real crush on the gasket ...even if it had been torqued down .

Os8472
06-10-2009, 19:38
Yep ...gallons of it ,all ready to fall off and block the pickup .The liners were all down very close to the block so no real crush on the gasket ...even if it had been torqued down .

Yikes, the crap some so called experts get away with it terrible

clee
06-10-2009, 19:49
Trouble is that there is very little comeback on this sort of thing .I know that everyone is only as good as their last feck-up but ....
They are brand new pistons/liners,. £1k.... + labour .................£3k bill :eek:
All I can do is give my opinion and then it's up to him to go back with a big stick .

TrixNFlix
06-10-2009, 20:00
Trouble is that there is very little comeback on this sort of thing .I know that everyone is only as good as their last feck-up but ....
They are brand new pistons/liners,. £1k.... + labour .................£3k bill :eek:
All I can do is give my opinion and then it's up to him to go back with a big stick .

This is why its best to have a go at things yourself, not just car related stuff, I am pretty paranoid about being shafted though.:ashamed::wasntme:

clee
08-10-2009, 20:29
Black breaker lump is in the Red GTA and ready to try .I do hope it's sound .My mate is bringing over fluids in the morning so we'll know by luncheon :scared:
Wish it well for us please ;)

Chris Hebden
08-10-2009, 21:00
Good work Lee, do you drop this engines in from the top or do you lift the car over it with the engine going in underneath?

clee
08-10-2009, 21:21
Depends what mood I'm in .
I find it easier to take them out the top .You have to strip a lot more off but don't have the pain of the gearbox linkages ,rear suspension ,fecked sub-frame bolts and having to lift the rear a meter off the floor on your tod .

clee
12-10-2009, 16:41
Up and running .

Had a few scary moments when I had no oil pressure whilst crank priming but I'd forgotten to prime the pump .Whipped the filter and cooler assembly off and squirted some in .Good pressure resulted so attached the turbo feed and fired it up :)

Now then ..note ... make sure the o seal on the filter hasn't fallen off or you'll lose 2 liters before you notice :mad: Bit of a messy garage floor now but it takes 7 1/2 so still had plenty sloshing about inside .
All good ,pressure at idle is 3 bar and rises on throttle ..a bit high but got good old mineral stuff in it to clear its guts ...Very tappity but hasn't been run properly in 6 years so I can forgive that .
All looking promising ,time will tell :coffee:

MFaulks
17-10-2009, 17:54
eek, that's why you were up to your proverbial with oil when I called. Is she up up and away now?

on the plus side you have the pistonies from this bag'a'bones ;)

PS. How’s the washer now, you didn’t mention you were having a bad day the other week?