PDA

View Full Version : in case i forget

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2009, 05:38
when dropping the engine still mounted on the subframe, can people please remind me what to detach , i know of some things just wonderd what things other people have detached when doing this or not as im putting a new servo and master cylinder in the cup on saturday and im going about it this way...ta people, jesus...:)

Os8472
18-09-2009, 08:01
when dropping the engine still mounted on the subframe, can people please remind me what to detach , i know of some things just wonderd what things other people have detached when doing this or not as im putting a new servo and master cylinder in the cup on saturday and im going about it this way...ta people, jesus...:)

Jesus, you should know as the son of god you don't need to take the whole engine out to do a master cyclinder and servo, just take off the inlet manifold, there's plenty of room once thats out the way

dave r5
18-09-2009, 10:13
what he said ^^^ lol

but for love of god dont forget yr brake lines

or yr gear linkage, ive ruind 3 now were i kept forgeting ooops

Sy5GTT
18-09-2009, 10:15
Or you could get the "M" to do it :)

boostjunky
18-09-2009, 12:56
or yr gear linkage, ive ruind 3 now were i kept forgeting ooops

I 'might' have done this a few weeks ago myself :ashamed:

markey b
18-09-2009, 15:16
steering uj is always a good one to disconnect if you are dropping the rear of the subframe :D

Spooky
18-09-2009, 15:48
Jeez...lift the engine out...or whip the inlet off...you know how to make hard work of it dont ya :D

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2009, 17:05
Jeez...lift the engine out...or whip the inlet off...you know how to make hard work of it dont ya :D

inlet manifold off etc , this works then does it?......:scratch:, well that will save loads of time, err what do i need to watch out for?....:confused:..:), how on earth do you get enough room to pull the long thread out the peddle....:scratch:, i reckon i have the right idea myself you buggers...:laugh:

Adam L
18-09-2009, 17:51
Matt, if you've got a crane just pull the engine out and leave the box in, easiest way of doing it. You don't need to disconect the suspension, driveshafts and get gearbox oil everywhere.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2009, 18:04
Matt, if you've got a crane just pull the engine out and leave the box in, easiest way of doing it. You don't need to disconect the suspension, driveshafts and get gearbox oil everywhere.

cheers buddy , ya dont think leaving the ole girl on the subframe method is better then?, how you move the box off in situ?, is it easy to wriggle off?, like the idea of nor stinking of box oil.....:agree:.. :laugh:

Adam L
18-09-2009, 18:22
If you take the crank pulley off it'll give you enough room to wriggle the input shaft out. You may need to take the bolts out for the front box mount just to push it over a bit, but it's the quickest way i've ever taken an engine out and put back in before.

You're best taking the turbo off just so it's a little easier to get to the gearbox bolts and especially the long one that goes through the block at the back.

Just make sure you've got the engine level if you're doing it like this otherwise it'll refuse to come off or go back onto the input shaft.

jesus in the seat of a 5
18-09-2009, 18:30
Cheers buddy , a nice graphic detailed description , just what ole jeez needs...:), that may just be the way, think i might print that out...:laugh:,in case like...:D

clee
18-09-2009, 18:31
I'm debating a similar thing at the mo for this poorly GTA ...Out the top or drop the subframe with box and lump ?
Turns out the subframe has not been out recently so I've got lots of rusty bolts and ****e along with gear linkages upper arms and the like to undo .
The turbo and other stuff will need to come off to swap over anyway so I'm leaning towards out the top .
Main pain is aligning the engine to the box when putting it back in also .Different Ren same **** :D

Adam 005
19-09-2009, 08:50
brake lines
choke cable
thottle cable
top hose
bottem hose
king lead
tdc lead
speedo cable
boost hoses
all vacum piping
gear linkage
fuel lines
clutch cable
sub frame to body drop links
4x bolts on top mounts
over boost wires(if you have them)
track rod ends (maybe)

i think thats all you need to undo/remove

Nayls
19-09-2009, 15:08
removing the drivers side driveshaft gives enough room to change the servo & m/c.

Os8472
19-09-2009, 16:57
inlet manifold off etc , this works then does it?......:scratch:, well that will save loads of time, err what do i need to watch out for?....:confused:..:), how on earth do you get enough room to pull the long thread out the peddle....:scratch:, i reckon i have the right idea myself you buggers...:laugh:

Once you've got the inlet off, undo the the master cyclinder from the servo leaving the brake lines attached and carefully bend them just enough to withdraw the master cyclinder, now go inside the car and undo the 4 nuts that hold the servo, then look on the peddle arm, there's a split pin that connects the arm to the servo, take this out but keep hold of it, the servo should now come out with no probs

jesus in the seat of a 5
19-09-2009, 21:06
Once you've got the inlet off, undo the the master cyclinder from the servo leaving the brake lines attached and carefully bend them just enough to withdraw the master cyclinder, now go inside the car and undo the 4 nuts that hold the servo, then look on the peddle arm, there's a split pin that connects the arm to the servo, take this out but keep hold of it, the servo should now come out with no probs

jesus loves you all , done it just that way...all new now in the cup...right carb next, will upload photos when i get 5 mins....:D, quite a nice job as they go on the ole 5`s....:), thanks everyone!!!..jeebus...:cool:

Os8472
20-09-2009, 12:11
jesus loves you all , done it just that way...all new now in the cup...right carb next, will upload photos when i get 5 mins....:D, quite a nice job as they go on the ole 5`s....:), thanks everyone!!!..jeebus...:cool:

It went ok then Jesus? how much of your holy blood and skin was removed in the process?