PDA

View Full Version : my 5gt turbo playing up

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:22
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

my 5 gt keeps playing up.firstly since i got the car the starter has been slow but seeing as i live on a hill bump starting had been the way to start it,not ideal :ashamed:but hey it got me to work!
last week i tried to start it,no go on starter so i tried to bump the bugger,still no go.after a bit of help i got it in my garage,had a look at it and found out i was getting fuel to carb,checked spark and decided to replace dizzy cap and rotor arm.and cleaned carb and jets.after a bit of trying to start it,it fired up,tried tonight to start it and it was no go.tried to bump it was a no go!:brickwall:
im getting fuel to carb and getting spark.fuel & spark should fire!
would the tdc sensor be the culprit?or if the tdc was faulty would it spark.any of you guys got any ideas as im running out of ideas here:scratch:.cheers dave or anybody local to me who could help:sos:

Kris M
14-09-2009, 21:29
do you mean the starter is not turning the engine over ??? Of the engine is turning over but not fireing up ??

If TDC was faulty, you wont get a spark

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 21:31
No TDC wouldn't cause it mate, if you have spark and fuel going tot the carb then thats working fine.

Take the carb elbow off and have alook down the carb, pull the throttle and see if the accerlator pump jet is quirting fuel (it the brass nozzle pointing down the carb). If thats not squirting then it will be a bugger to start.

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:33

do you mean the starter is not turning the engine over ??? Of the engine is turning over but not fireing up ??

If TDC was faulty, you wont get a sparkthe starter will turn over sometimes as normal but usually slow,ive looked at the earth and positive cables but they seeok so i was thinking starter on way out.tried to jump start it tonight was turning over with it pumping fuel and getting spark (good blue spark)when i took the coil lead out of dissy.

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:36

No TDC wouldn't cause it mate, if you have spark and fuel going tot the carb then thats working fine.

Take the carb elbow off and have alook down the carb, pull the throttle and see if the accerlator pump jet is quirting fuel (it the brass nozzle pointing down the carb). If thats not squirting then it will be a bugger to start.when i cleaned the carb last week i checked the brass nozzle and it was working fine when a pumped the throttle.im stumped on this one:scratch:

Kris M
14-09-2009, 21:41
Out of interest, Is the battery ok, getting a good charge ??

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 21:44

when i cleaned the carb last week i checked the brass nozzle and it was working fine when a pumped the throttle.im stumped on this one:scratch:

Ok that sounds fine.

Just read your over messages as Kris says check battery voltage, sounds possibly like a lazy battery or starter motor

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:49

Is the battery ok, getting a good charge ??
i put a new battery on tonight, its getting charge but when i was looking at the wiring last week i noticed that the wiring to the altenator was looking very ropey.the 2 wires in the center top yellow and purple ones at some time had melted their plastic shields and was stuck together with a thick black earth lead going to the altenator.its had a lot of messing in the past by other owners.

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 21:51

i put a new battery on tonight, its getting charge but when i was looking at the wiring last week i noticed that the wiring to the altenator was looking very ropey.the 2 wires in the center top yellow and purple ones at some time had melted their plastic shields and was stuck together with a thick black earth lead going to the altenator.its had a lot of messing in the past by other owners.

Sounds like the alternator isn't going to be charging corrctly if the wirig is as bad as you say, that will need sorting

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:53

another question.i know my way round vw golfs and on gtis when you turn the ignition on but not engaging the starter you can here the pump buzz.
on my 5 it dosnt buzz till i engage the starter is this the system works on rennie 5 gt`s?

Woody
14-09-2009, 21:56

Sounds like the alternator isn't going to be charging corrctly if the wirig is as bad as you say, that will need sortinglooks like i need a new loom,as last owners have goosed it up in a big way.as the black connector block behind the n/side headlight has been choped and chocko blocked up(nasty)

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 21:59
The fuel pump will not opperate till it see's a signal from the TDC so yes you won't hear it till the engine is turning over.

Your loom does sound abit bad, it may be repairable but depends how bad it is. If you can get your car started again check if the battery is being charged.

Kris M
14-09-2009, 22:04
Yeah, as Mark says, put a multimeter across the batt terminals if you can get the car running

TBH, ive seen loads of GTT engine looms that have been hacked about with / burned out, mine included....gave me no end of problems untill i bought a new one

Might be worth looking for a second hand engine loom ( even a campus or lesser renault 5 loom will work, just not the oil pressure gauge)

Woody
14-09-2009, 22:10

The fuel pump will not opperate till it see's a signal from the TDC so yes you won't hear it till the engine is turning over.

Your loom does sound abit bad, it may be repairable but depends how bad it is. If you can get your car started again check if the battery is being charged.the car was owned by a rtoc member at some time in the past if i posted the reg on here is there a list or maybe some body might know who owned it.then maybe somebody mite know whats been done to it in past.its a tungsten grey 1990 h322afk. i got it from hollyhead north wales but before that it was in the tonbridge wells area (1996-2008)

Dave Reed
14-09-2009, 23:04
I'd start by checking all your earth's have good connections ie not rusty.

Then it may be worth adding an extra earth to the engine/gearbox from a good referance. You can always try it by adding a cable to the batt - (neg) and fixing it to the engine/gearbox and then give it a go to see if the starter spins faster. O and just a quick note make sure it's mutli strand cable and of a good size (8 to 10mm).

Woody
14-09-2009, 23:46
I'd start by checking all your earth's have good connections ie not rusty.

Then it may be worth adding an extra earth to the engine/gearbox from a good referance. You can always try it by adding a cable to the batt - (neg) and fixing it to the engine/gearbox and then give it a go to see if the starter spins faster. O and just a quick note make sure it's mutli strand cable and of a good size (8 to 10mm).i fitted a new negitive lead tonight (10mm)battery to bulkhead to gearbox as the old one was a home jobbie (crap)the previous owners had fitted,i can see me having to go through the electrics with tester and fitting new loom.

Woody
15-09-2009, 01:17
think as my loom looks goosed im going to buy a loom,any ideas on where is best place to buy and how much for a new gt engine wiring loom.cheers

5alldaway
15-09-2009, 01:20
renault main dealer or ktec

markey b
15-09-2009, 01:24
i had a similar problem, my car would turn and turn and turn but not fire, but would be ok with a bump...

turns out that it was the acc pump lever that had seized, causing cold starting issues