PDA

View Full Version : Renault 5 GT Turbo 1.4 OR Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6 & 1.9

Ish
14-09-2009, 19:30
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

I have been chasing the idea of getting a renault 5 for a long time now and would like a few things answered.

Firstly Is it really true that renault 5's tend to break alot? I cant afford huge repair bills all the time. But to my main point, I know this is a renault turbo website but I would like honest answers. Which is faster out of Renault 5 GT Turbo or Peugeot 205 GTi 1.6? If the renault 5 is faster then is it faster than a 1.9? What I mean by faster is top end, bottom end, on a strip and round a track. Also would it be better in the long run to get a 205 or are they known to be as faulty as the renault 5?

Thank You

JRP
14-09-2009, 19:34
Get any 5, look after it and dont abuse it.

Correctly modifie it, and do things that have been prooven... unless your wishing to experiment.

The 5 is a solid car with a bullet proof engine.

Its old things need replacing! as anything... alot of it can be done your self or by the help of other members...

Parts are cheap... and i mean it...

TBH id buy a 5 not a pug, or buy the pug... sell it buy a 5 and then wonder why you botherd with a pug.....

Pug 205's are fantastic cars but i having driven both think the 5 wins hands down for fun :)

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 19:34
Renault 5 gt turbo's are only unrealiable if they aren't looked after or bodged together with shoddy repairs. Fueling is key on these so if you plan to tweek one you need it set up correctly, if all is done well then they will be good as gold but do remember they are 20+ yrs old so the odd repair here and there will be needed.

I've owned both cars and for me i prefer the 5, the 205 does handle well and goes quite well (i had 1.9) but i get more of a buzz from the 5 and feels and looks better inside and out.

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:38
my daily drive is an r5 gtt :cool:

Ish
14-09-2009, 19:40

Someone I knew through a friend had a 5 but it was very damaged. He wanted £300 for it but said it had no problems, then the mechanic that fixed it is also my friend, he said it was on the log book as a campus, and he said hes not suprised it broke because its a 5, it got me thinking about would it be worth getting one. But I guess he just doesnt like 5's, he says theyre skips on wheels lol

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:43
he is uneducated, and probably drives a saxo lol

Ish
14-09-2009, 19:47

As a matter of fact he does! A VTR

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:50
case closed... tell him to pish off and enjoy his whole 98bhp (or even 90 if its a blacktop)

lol

The new Bill J
14-09-2009, 19:52
http://nomorelol.com/

wrightygtt
14-09-2009, 19:53
Tbh dude, only get a 5 if you can afford to upkeep it!, you won't get a 20 year old car be it Peugeot or Renault without having to spend money on it period! anyone can afford these cars but to upkeep them is a different story, unless your handy with a spanner. :) Regardless of how well their fuelling etc, i.e rust, Electrics, or just general maintenance.

JRP
14-09-2009, 19:55
Tbh dude, only get a 5 if you can afford to upkeep it!, you won't get a 20 year old car be it Peugeot or Renault without having to spend money on it period! anyone can afford these cars but to upkeep them is a different story, unless your handy with a spanner. :)

if you cant afford to run a 5 you cant afford to run any car.... same things can happen with anything... just treat it well and it will look after you

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:56
http://nomorelol.com/

lo..... i mean ha ha ha :ashamed:

:cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter::cooter:

wrightygtt
14-09-2009, 19:58
if you cant afford to run a 5 you cant afford to run any car.... same things can happen with anything... just treat it well and it will look after you

I agree dude, but this guy doesn't want to spend money, and in all reality he will have too on either car he buys!

markey b
14-09-2009, 20:01
if you buy a new car, you have servicing costs, and if you use a main dealer they will be more than the maintenance bill for a 5 for a long time in just one service if you can do it yourself

oil change service on a 2007 peugeot 207 1.6 hdi - £199
oil change on a 5gtt, usin renault parts but done yourself - £25

wrightygtt
14-09-2009, 20:05
I thought new Peugeots have a 3 year warranty? servicing etc?
like I say if he's handy with a spanner sure, but your not living in the real world if you think he isn't gonna be spending money on his five or any performance 20yr old motor, period. I'm not saying the cars are unreliable, they just need tlc and if you don't know what your doing it will cost money.:)

I will add, I'm no mechanic.

markey b
14-09-2009, 20:10
doesn't cover servicing, £200 every 12k miles if you have a diesel, and then £350 for your 36k service!

warranty isn't great either, 2 years unlimited mileage, 3rd year has a limit of 60k so if you do 60k in a year and a half, you lose a years warranty

trims and interior only covered for 12 months

clutches covered for 18k miles, brakes for 8k miles

aircon, cv boots and rubber parts, seals etc only covered at PDI!!

JRP
14-09-2009, 20:11
I thought new Peugeots have a 3 year warranty? servicing etc?
like I say if he's handy with a spanner sure, but your not living in the real world if you think he isn't gonna be spending money on his five or any performance 20yr old motor, period. I'm not saying the cars are unreliable, they just need tlc and if you don't know what your doing it will cost money.:)

I will add, I'm no mechanic.

chances are if he cant afford bills etc and is worried about that, he couldnt afford a new car... thats all i ment end of the day an old car is an old car

markey b
14-09-2009, 20:13
chances are if he cant afford bills etc and is worried about that, he couldnt afford a new car... thats all i ment end of the day an old car is an old car

not really, passport etc is dirty cheap nowadays, zero deposit, from £99 a month!

it the small print that you need to watch out for tho

JRP
14-09-2009, 20:17
not really, passport etc is dirty cheap nowadays, zero deposit, from £99 a month!

it the small print that you need to watch out for tho

yeah but a car on finance.. i made that mistake once... great at first until you realise your stuck with it... and i like to change cars lol

5alldaway
14-09-2009, 20:37
205 gti for me thanks!

i currently own both cars and they are both great at what they do best but if i had to choose one of them id go for the 205

i have more confidence behind the wheel of a 205 and in my opinion they handle better and the build quality is better, i would also go to say that 205 gtis are very reliable as long as you look after them properly

the 5 is definately the more desirable car to own tho and they too can be reliable as long as you look after them, the 5 would always wipe the floor against any 8v 205 in a straight line

ive already had this discussion with djinuk and we both have agreed the 205 is a better car to drive, at the end of the day its down to what sort of condition car you end up buying, pay good money for a good one

djinuk
14-09-2009, 20:45
agreed as above.. imo the 205 is the better car for handling and comfort, the r5s however get loads of attention , good and bad, and it seems every old boy has owned one in his child hood.

205 costs just as much in parts as the r5's imo other than turbos.

personally though if you really are not sure, buy a 205 first as its the more forgiving car then get yourself a r5.

Ish
14-09-2009, 23:26

Let me point out its not putting money into a car that I wont do, Im an apprentice on £80 a week, what I meant was if I go buy a 5 and its already in a bad way (I wont be able to tell very well as Im not great with cars) how would £80 a week fix it? And as I asked earlier if they are unreliable (which most have pointed out just give it TLC) then I wouldnt be able to keep up with the damages on £80 a week.

JRP
14-09-2009, 23:28

Let me point out its not putting money into a car that I wont do, Im an apprentice on £80 a week, what I meant was if I go buy a 5 and its already in a bad way (I wont be able to tell very well as Im not great with cars) how would £80 a week fix it? And as I asked earlier if they are unreliable (which most have pointed out just give it TLC) then I wouldnt be able to keep up with the damages on £80 a week.

How many hours a week do you work?

Ish
14-09-2009, 23:31

How many hours a week do you work?

JRP
14-09-2009, 23:33

what do you do fella?

Ish
14-09-2009, 23:38

what do you do fella?

Electrician

JRP
14-09-2009, 23:40
Is 80 what your left with after bills/rent etc etc or what he give you after a week... and an electrician man you will be made when you have the qualification... and all that part P business etc etc good luck. infact when you qualifie you will be able to buy any renault lol

5alldaway
14-09-2009, 23:42
if i was on £80 a week i wouldnt be thinking of buying an r5

JRP
14-09-2009, 23:42
if i was on £80 a week i wouldnt be thinking of buying an r5

Ohhh the tactful one enters the discussion

wrightygtt
14-09-2009, 23:45
;)agreed, dude, i'm sure you can get a nice moped or something.
Only joking, i'd definetely be looking at something with cheapo insurance and cheap to run etc, you'll soon be making the bucks soo give it time fella. If I look back on what I've spent on my five over the 6/7 years of owning to mint it up I probably could of got an m3, lol.

JRP
14-09-2009, 23:49
Yeah twonks like me spend untold amounts and yet their (my) 5 aint seen the road yet!!

id save, then make it your target.. when your fully qualified and earing buy it then... not being funny i know some sparkies earning over a grand a week and it seems they are barley ever at work.

hang on sounds like us gas men excapt we have to work every hour god sends because old mrs popleworth keeps braking her smegging heating

5alldaway
14-09-2009, 23:55
what is your budget anyway?

wrightygtt
14-09-2009, 23:59
True, I've been there, When I first got my five back in 02 I was 19, I bought it outright for 2k, it was standard and luckily very reliable for years, although being in similiar circumstances with not much money per week, most of my weeks earnings went on either fuel or insurance/ I think I was paying £1800 fully comp per year. If anything minor did go wrong, I'e rad , Fuel Pump and any other small glitches, it was off the road for weeks, months at a time because I couldn't afford to keep it on the road.

Sparkie
15-09-2009, 00:05
as much as i love the 5, i'd suggest that on £80 a week you should go for the pug. once your turbo blows, you are looking at quite a high bill.

what would the equivalent problem/cost be on a pug 1.6 or 1.9

you not thought about a nova SR/GTE? - my GTE back in the day was VERY VERY reliable.

5alldaway
15-09-2009, 00:10
for a reasonable pug your looking at 500-1k

i bought mine just over a week ago for £650, engine is practically finished but i didnt care as i have a gti6 to go in,its a sort after non sunroof shell, wider 309 rear beam, and general body is in good condition

markey b
15-09-2009, 00:10
yeah it'll be tight on that budget, but to be fair i run 2 cars on that budget, i earn more but i'm tied up paying debts... but you've made the right choice already, the best and most important £25 of 5 ownership has already been spent, and you'll now have 24/7 advise if you get any problems, plus there are lots of nice people on here that have very nice prices for parts :smokin:

5alldaway
15-09-2009, 00:14
as much as i love the 5, i'd suggest that on £80 a week you should go for the pug. once your turbo blows, you are looking at quite a high bill.

what would the equivalent problem/cost be on a pug 1.6 or 1.9

you not thought about a nova SR/GTE? - my GTE back in the day was VERY VERY reliable.

very rusty! its been a while since ive seen any nova, maybe they all got swept up with a pan and brush off the drive?

markey b
15-09-2009, 00:53
very rusty! its been a while since ive seen any nova, maybe they all got swept up with a pan and brush off the drive?

you havn't seen my raider then.... lol

5alldaway
15-09-2009, 01:02
it looks clean to be honest

markey b
15-09-2009, 01:07
i have to sweep up after i park it lol

Trevhib
15-09-2009, 10:55
Is it possible to keep any motor on the road at £80 a week? :(

It's either loans or parents help that you need before making any sort of decision other than moped.

I didn't wait when I was a kid, Cavalier Sri at 18, GTT at 20. Loans....

Took me 12 years (I was 30), to get out of debt in the end and only because I finally got a well paid job at 28. Motoring cost me everything until that point.

It's your choice.

JRP
15-09-2009, 10:58
Is it possible to keep any motor on the road at £80 a week? :(

It's either loans or parents help that you need before making any sort of decision other than moped.

I didn't wait when I was a kid, Cavalier Sri at 18, GTT at 20. Loans....

Took me 12 years (I was 30), to get out of debt in the end and only because I finally got a well paid job at 28. Motoring cost me everything until that point.

It's your choice.

And im in the position trev was in, and i wish id not got into debt and had a sensible car from the off. instead i got a gtt first car, then an audi, then bmw then clio v6 inbetween i had a few 5's now im back at a 5.... wish id listened to the advice i was given but no!

i was young and knew it all.... now i wont be debt free till im 25

Ish
15-09-2009, 17:36

I am actually saving and have been for some time, when I sell my car I expect to get around £1500, I have £1000 in the bank and still saving.

JRP
15-09-2009, 17:40

I am actually saving and have been for some time, when I sell my car I expect to get around £1500, I have £1000 in the bank and still saving.

dont feck about then.. buy one for around £1500 maybe 2k maybe 1k... then bank the rest of what you have for that dark day incase it happens!

so you get a car and a saftey net balance hidden away! do it you know you want to :)

Ish
15-09-2009, 18:01

dont feck about then.. buy one for around £1500 maybe 2k maybe 1k... then bank the rest of what you have for that dark day incase it happens!

so you get a car and a saftey net balance hidden away! do it you know you want to :)

Thats what Im trying to do as of today, Im looking around. I just dont want to buy one thats already in a bad way.

Sorry to go off topic but are there any particular insurance companys people use when it comes to insuring this kind of car?

JRP
15-09-2009, 18:06
with help from your local members im sure you will find a good one :)

markey b
15-09-2009, 18:31
elephant are pretty good, i started with them at 21, still with them today on both of mine, but i have a pretty kushti postcode

Trevhib
15-09-2009, 21:14
£2500 to buy a decent GTT, insure it, put money aside for the inevitable costs (basic servicing if nothing else), then have enough money to run it (fuel, tax, MOT etc) on £80 a week...

Even if you can get a decent GTT for £1250 (errr), how much do you think insurance will cost? Not much point going any further with this sentence.

Can't help but admire the inevitable choice you're about to make from the hopeless position you're in. It wont work without it costing you more than you have but good luck anyway lad.

Tbh, if you're not afraid of a bit a debt then £2.5k isn't a bad starting point. You wont always be on apprentice wages and in any case, life is short. :agree:

rs250nut
16-09-2009, 11:36
£2500 to buy a decent GTT, insure it, put money aside for the inevitable costs (basic servicing if nothing else), then have enough money to run it (fuel, tax, MOT etc) on £80 a week...

Even if you can get a decent GTT for £1250 (errr), how much do you think insurance will cost? Not much point going any further with this sentence.

Can't help but admire the inevitable choice you're about to make from the hopeless position you're in. It wont work without it costing you more than you have but good luck anyway lad.

Tbh, if you're not afraid of a bit a debt then £2.5k isn't a bad starting point. You wont always be on apprentice wages and in any case, life is short. :agree:

:goodpost::

Sparkie
16-09-2009, 13:18

Sorry to go off topic but are there any particular insurance companys people use when it comes to insuring this kind of car?

do not use HIC or Adrian Flux, they are one and the same company these days.-awful to deal with.

use confused.com to get a better idea of cheap cover then make sure you goto the actual insurers website and do it again from there.

JRP
16-09-2009, 13:20
What about sky insurance? i was on the phone yesturday, and adrian flux offered me an agreed valuation.. hmmif they are bad to deal with ile skip it.

Nobody want to help me as i have a roll cage... also after an agreed valuation

Sy5GTT
16-09-2009, 13:23
do not use HIC or Adrian Flux, they are one and the same company these days.-awful to deal with.

use confused.com to get a better idea of cheap cover then make sure you goto the actual insurers website and do it again from there.

I use HIC and not had any problems. :agree:

BriC
16-09-2009, 13:34
I use HIC and not had any problems. :agree:

Have you had to claim though? You hear nothing but bad when it comes to Adrian Flux and claiming.

Sparkie
16-09-2009, 14:36
don't worry, you will...:laugh:

Trevhib
16-09-2009, 22:40
Conversely, I continue to have very positive dealings with HIC. That's about 5 years in a row now incl two car cover, agreed valuations, price matching, discount for club membership, discount for limited mileage etc etc.

The only issue I have is that they try and take your money for next year automatically using last years' bank details without notification, under the auspices of 'not wanting your insurance to lapse, leaving you without cover'. Feckers, lol. I got a letter through saying they hadn't been able to take the money as the bank details were no longer valid! Good job an all.

Kris M
16-09-2009, 22:46
Ive just had a very good quote with Graham Sykes, mods, limited milege etc etc. Not a problem...Cheap aswell!! :D

Gttnutter
16-09-2009, 23:56
Just my 2 pence worth but i've owned around 6 5's now and up until recently i've had my 1st rebuild after a "not so good rolling road session" the day before rtoc pod day, Bearing in mind this was not at fault with the RR itself.

Previous to this on my old 5's i've only ever had to change a clutch, other than that i've been driving fault free for the last 5 years or so, All i can say is if you end up buying a GT turbo just make sure its set up correctly ie: fuel and boost etc.

I've never owned a 205 but i've been out in one which marky mark BD had for a while which was a 1.9 and i must admit....yes they handle very well and pull very well but there's nothing like getting back in a 5 after and driving home :agree:

5alldaway
17-09-2009, 00:28
Just my 2 pence worth but i've owned around 6 5's now and up until recently i've had my 1st rebuild after a "not so good rolling road session" the day before rtoc pod day, Bearing in mind this was not at fault with the RR itself.

Previous to this on my old 5's i've only ever had to change a clutch, other than that i've been driving fault free for the last 5 years or so, All i can say is if you end up buying a GT turbo just make sure its set up correctly ie: fuel and boost etc.

I've never owned a 205 but i've been out in one which marky mark BD had for a while which was a 1.9 and i must admit....yes they handle very well and pull very well but there's nothing like getting back in a 5 after and driving home :agree:

hehe my old 205, i felt it felt rather weak but that was because i drove a r5 before a 205 so it was bound to feel weak! but owning both cars has its advantages, like i say they both do what they do best very well, so just have both!