PDA

View Full Version : weird noise on taking up drive...

markey b
14-09-2009, 15:46
anyone had this after changing a clutch?!?

got a weird rubbing since taking the box out last week to change the clutch. clutch feels spot on, but this noise is strange, only happens when it engages drive, so its under load.

all i've done is cleaned and painted the box and put it back in with a new clutch?!?

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 15:52
If you've changed the clutch could be the friction plate bedding itself onto the flywheel, i've had it a few times myself.

Recently i've even had a few strange noise's when i removed box's and put them back in without touching the clutch, a few pumps on the pedal and they went. :confused: God knows what it was.

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:02
phew... i think i'll just drive it till it goes away lol

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:02
thinking about it, its like you can feel it through the car, and it changes with the steering lock?!

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 19:06
Is the noise only there when pressing or depressing the pedal?

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:16
no its when you drive off, i fiddled with my camber last nite as at 1st the sidewalls were rubbing on the coilovers but they are defo free now..

all i can think of is downpipe rubbing on drive shaft, or maybe i've left a driveshaft nut off or something?!?

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 19:29
What i meant mate was when you puling off is the nosie there when you push the pedal down or lifting it back up to engage it?

It could be something like that but that more like a tapping moise as it hits the 3 lugs on the drivshaft, trust me done that a few times before :laugh:

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:36
its whenever the car is moving, with the clutch engaged (driving) but it feels tight like something is rubbing.. it changes 'feel' of the rubbing if you steer side to side

silly one, but the threaded rod that goes thru the back of the engine, i wound it in and it seemed to prettymuch dissapear into the box, only about an inch poking out after its been thru the block... could it be in too far?

Markey Mark (BD)
14-09-2009, 19:52
its whenever the car is moving, with the clutch engaged (driving) but it feels tight like something is rubbing.. it changes 'feel' of the rubbing if you steer side to side

silly one, but the threaded rod that goes thru the back of the engine, i wound it in and it seemed to prettymuch dissapear into the box, only about an inch poking out after its been thru the block... could it be in too far?

That threaded bar only goes into the casing of the box and not near any moving parts so can't see it being that.

I'd start looking at any moving pat under the car first mate, try to eliminate anything outside the engine that could cause the noise

markey b
14-09-2009, 19:55
i'll grab it 2mora after work, it sucks that the nights are drawing in, and its in my garage which isn't at home, its a mission to just pop down and have a looky lol..

i'll update this thread as soon as i get it here, thanks for ya help so far tho :agree:

markey b
20-09-2009, 01:47
spent the afternoon under it checking everything...

the noise/vibration is when you lift up the clutch, so when its engaged, its like a juddery vibration.. hopefully its just bedding in

Logg
20-09-2009, 14:56
Dude have you checked the front engine mount/ steady thingy mejig! As that might be loose and catching on the flywheel under engine movement!

markey b
21-09-2009, 00:46
good point log, its almost as if its noisy when the engine is under load, my front mount looked pretty fallen apart, are they still available from renault because i had a mint one but had to put it on the raider.

drove it today, its got the driveshaft 'click' on the downpipe, but also a wobble when taking up drive... bit strange, its got me confused

Os8472
21-09-2009, 07:52
its got me confused

That doesn't take much lol

Ashy
21-09-2009, 09:41
Friction plate isn't in back to front is it?

markey b
21-09-2009, 13:26
i really really hope not, wouldn't be the first time :cry:

markey b
21-09-2009, 14:38
been stressing since i posted last, and remembered that its definately in the correct way... i made sure due to my old mistakes, just had to mentally re-trace my steps.

also doesn't judder in reverse, and the pass driveshaft looks very high coming out the box (if that makes sense)