PDA

View Full Version : Prep for painting..?

raj
13-09-2009, 23:22
could someone in the know give me a few pointers on how to prep the car up for a respray? im just going to get quick blow over! im not expecting anything spectacular as its just my volvo run about and im just wanting a freshen up.:)

im basically wanting to sand the car down before i hand it over to the painter to keep the cost down abit.
can i simply use an orbital sander? what grade paper should i be using etc?

also, how should i remove surface rust? angle grind it back to bare metal and smooth over with filler.??

while on the subject, does anyone have an idea if ANY aftermarket bumpers are available for the volvo 440/460.? i cant find a single thing:crap:

JRP
13-09-2009, 23:25
id pay for them to prep it... you prep bad you get bad job... eeek

raj
13-09-2009, 23:34
id pay for them to prep it... you prep bad you get bad job... eeek
i know what your saying, but this isnt a show car, its simply to be my run around work horse.

i think i may get away with using cutting compound on most of the car:agree: but there are areas that need attention so would like to know how to attack these areas.

raj
14-09-2009, 00:12
dave sbs, your input is needed:)

djinuk
14-09-2009, 07:44
I 100% would not be using the orbital bud, Its hard to say but to simply key existing paint up ready to accept new paint get yourself a box of red scotch , this will scartch the panel up just enough to accept new paint. regards to rust, to remove it propelly its a cut and reweld jobby, even when using bodyfiller alone the prep will require much more detail than the rest of the body. Im far from any expert but i know some of the basics. Myself if you are going to prep the car yourself id spray it yourself aswell to save some further cash. Even if its just some cheapo paint you use for now , see whats on offer and give it a go. Poor prep will inevitably lead to poor paint, and all bodyshops want cars prepped to a diffrent degree. If theres any reactions etc with the paint the bodyshop will most likely blame it on somthing to do with the paint and try to make you pay again etc, bad situation really. :disagree:

rs250nut
14-09-2009, 08:12
Use the orbital if you want to make light work of prepping a car, p400 -500 which ever you prefer to use. Use the orbital on all the big areas then finish the hard to get to bits with scotch. What ever way you do it there will be prep involved for who ever is painting it so expect a small bill for that. Me myself being in this game from the age of 14 would not entertain painting anything that had been preped by any old joe, in the painting game you are only ever as good as your last job, why would you want to ruin that reputation by painting something thats not ready?

raj
14-09-2009, 10:37
thanks for the input:agree:

for now, i think i'll get some cutting compound on it with the orbital after that i'll use a clay bar. i think this'll be a better route as im sure the majority of the paint will come back to life:agree: it'll only be the areas of rust and where paint is chipped and missing that will be of concern.

im assuming its clay bar first then machine polish after?

djinuk
14-09-2009, 11:41
best bet, get on detailing world bud, they will tell you best plan of attack, get some pics up on there of your car etc.

JRP
14-09-2009, 12:18
Raj if your not botherd about the out come, why bother spraying in the first place.. it could come back worse lol... id leave it and spend the money on yaaa 5 aiiiiiiiii

stuTHC
14-09-2009, 17:05
You'd be better off doing it the other way.
Pay someone to prep it, then you paint it.
If your prep is knackers, then the paint job is knackers.