PDA

View Full Version : smoke occasionly

djinuk
13-09-2009, 22:29
ok my r5 has started a random smoking problem very occasionly, maybe once in a hours driving usallly at the start of the jounrey.

Basically i have no smoke on boost or at idle etc, however occasionly, usally after slow steady driving, when coming to a stop the car bellows white/blue smoke out and it stinks, however as soon as you pull away it clears with no re occurance for quite some time.

Its confusing me, other than that the car seems pretty sound.

Any ideas or anything obvious, i did notice that the oil breather spot that sits on the metal pipe had come loose however now ive sorted that ive not had chance to drive the car again.

michael tierney
13-09-2009, 22:45
check your intercooler,oil tends to collect in it alot!!

djinuk
14-09-2009, 14:02
I will check this when i get chance, ive always noticed the boost pipes over a period of time do get oily but its never really caused a problem like this before.

JRP
14-09-2009, 14:07
My mates 5 used to do this, when he changed the turbo it stopped, could be turbo related, on boost and driving around i guess the smoke was not visable, at a standstill it was like uncle buck

djinuk
14-09-2009, 14:24
its just strange how its just so very occasionally, its literally like somebody has just dropped a teaspoon of oil down a valve, but then its fine for another hour.

JRP
14-09-2009, 15:06
could it be your oil, some cheaper or oils that are to thin at higher temps may make it past seals that they shouldnt get past, this could be the case.

Arron V R5GTT
14-09-2009, 19:06
my car did exactly the same mine was the turbo it started like you say then just kept gettin worse over a while till i had it rebuilt something i was told it could av bin was valve stem oil seals

Jimmy_GTT
23-10-2011, 21:53
I have decided to continue this thread as the basic problem is very similar.
It's old Whitey who now has its hungarian licens.
When I bought her last year the upper hose of the oil separator was vented to air in the driver side wheel arch. On the way back to hungary there was no smoke, just when we had some traffic jam on the highway. Some smoke has been come out from the wheel arch. (that's why I think it could not be a turbo problem)
Yesterday was the first day after 1 year I have taken the car out. I have connected the separator top to the telephone hose (without the T piece going to the inlet and the restrictors) and now the smoke comes out on the exhaust. Car still drives fine and smoke only occures after slow driving for a while (when the water temps gets to the 3rd line).
I think I'll disconnect the separator from the telephone hose and try to install a catch tank.
Could it be a valve steam sael problem?

andybond
23-10-2011, 22:10
I was just going to say that.

Sounds lots like a sticking valve stem seal.

tubbyG
23-10-2011, 23:37
if the smoke only appears after the temps get to the third line - fit a low temp fan switch and job's a good'un :wasntme:

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2011, 08:00
if the smoke only appears after the temps get to the third line - fit a low temp fan switch and job's a good'un :wasntme:

What a solution mate! ;)

Is there an article how to change valve steam without removing the head?

car.crash
24-10-2011, 08:24
What a solution mate! ;)

Is there an article how to change valve steam without removing the head?

I have done it before but it was a pain and took 2 of us. We removed the spark plugs and used screwdrivers to hold the valves up then compressed the springs and removed the collets. Then swap the stem seal and refit but do not drop the valve.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2011, 08:41
I have done it before but it was a pain and took 2 of us. We removed the spark plugs and used screwdrivers to hold the valves up then compressed the springs and removed the collets. Then swap the stem seal and refit but do not drop the valve.

Thanks!
And what tool have you used for compressing the springs?

Matt@CodeRedMotorsports
24-10-2011, 08:43
String.
Spark plug out, poke loads of string down the bore, bring it up to top dead centre, pack a load of rag around the oil ways to stop the collets dropping into the sump, bash the collets out, change the stem seal.......the string holds the valves shut without damage..... Worked for us in the pitlane.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2011, 09:02
I have already heard this solution with the string. I'll give it a try.

How do you bash the collets out?
How do you put them back after changing the seal?

car.crash
24-10-2011, 09:07
Thanks!
And what tool have you used for compressing the springs?

We used to lengths of metal bar Seperated by nut and bolt to cover the collet and leverd off whatever we could.

Mart
24-10-2011, 09:11
Before you do all that, change the oil & filter and see what it's like then.

For sure, you don't want the breather pipe re-circulating back into the turbo - Not only are you adding hot air back into the charge, but if it starts breathing heavily for whatever reason, it's going to coat the compressor wheel & inlet, boost hoses too, and over time will fill the intercooler with oil.

I don't recall the smoke ever being that bad, but if you feel the need to have the breather pipe located somewhere, run it to a breathable catch tank.

Jimmy_GTT
24-10-2011, 09:41
I'll start with the oil change.

The smoke was not that bad by the time it was vented to air. I could feel it sometimes. But as now it is recilrculated it seams bad as it is comeing out from the exhaust.
Anyway it is not normal to have that smoke I think. None of my other GTTs had such smoke. And I'd like to fix it.

First I'll try the catch tank to see how many oil is coming out.
But I'd like to have the engine bay look like std. Without any mod.
Car will run max. 1.000miles/year to some meetings. It won't be ever used as a daily driver.

Suspension has been changed back to std. Very comfortable. :)

During next spring the little rusts will be cured before it is getting worse.
I'll do everything to have her mint! ;)