PDA

View Full Version : Water loss in 106 Diesel

Rob1980
11-09-2009, 14:42
My girlfriend has a 106 diesel and it keeps on losing water. I have checked all around and I cant find a leak, the oil is also at a good level.

Today she emailed to say that she is convinced that there is oil in the water (Still clear coloured apparently) which appeared in a patch that was under her car. She is 100% convinced that it came from her car as well as the patch is getting bigger slowly.

I have checked under the oil cap and there is no mayo like substance but could it still be a head gasket problem or a cracked seal of anything??

Any help and advice would be very appreciated..

LampsR5
11-09-2009, 14:49
yeah it could still be your headgasket, you could try a water test , but your best of draining the oil out of the sump, if the oil stays at the bottom of the bucket and theres water at the top your head gasket is going.

had the same on my 106 xsi...constantly losing water, we drained it out and the sump was full of water

Chris Hebden
11-09-2009, 15:49
yeah it could still be your headgasket, you could try a water test , but your best of draining the oil out of the sump, if the oil stays at the bottom of the bucket and theres water at the top your head gasket is going.

had the same on my 106 xsi...constantly losing water, we drained it out and the sump was full of water

Isnt it the other way mate? Oil at the top, not totally sure my self :crap:

LampsR5
11-09-2009, 16:08
hehe u myt be right i know they seperate always thought oil was denser than water so water would be above it but i may be wrong...

but still if they are seperate your gonna need new headgasket :disagree:

GTphil
11-09-2009, 16:52
They are most defiantly known for the headgasket leaking!

I had one for a year or so and all the time I had it it lost a lot of water from the headgasket and down the front of the block.:disagree:

Don't think it affects it all that much as long as you keep an eye on the coolant level. I just carried a 2lt bottle of water in the boot and topped it up every 5 days or so, by the time i was finshed it was probably using neat water instead of coolant!:wasntme:

:edit: (I really should have read the full post before replying)

If the oil and water are mixing tho it will probably need sorting:sad2:

Rob1980
12-09-2009, 10:46
Thanks for the advice guys. I would have replied earlier but I could not find my own post as someone moved it!