PDA

View Full Version : Parts from the u.s

rs250nut
09-09-2009, 21:47
I have looked around for bits and pieces to make a new exhaust and down pipe but have not found a great deal in the u.k. Has anyone used the u.s to import parts? What sort of time will they take to get here? How much can I expect to pay in import taxes? Any information welcome:) Im looking for flanges etc

JRP
09-09-2009, 21:50
blimy thats alot of effort... importing bmx flatland frames costs enough... and a tshirt i bought cost me 17 quid import tax..... enough said.

Surely what you can get there you can get here:crap:

rs250nut
09-09-2009, 21:54
I dont have a problem getting the tube its just the flexey joints, flanges etc

D4WNO
09-09-2009, 22:04
By the time you've paid import taxes and postage on something like that from the US, you might aswell have bought it here.

Speak to Boris about downpipes :agree:

J$£5GTT
09-09-2009, 22:13
these guys do flexy this an that-

http://www.infinity-exhausts.co.uk/

Rob@Backyardracing
09-09-2009, 22:20
Import tax is a bit hit and miss imo... Ive bought a full clutch that i didnt get charged on strangle at a cost of nearly $400...other smaller things i have. I had to get a flange from ATP simply because i was struggling to find anyone in the uk to have the flange i wanted without a V band.. I didnt get charged Import on this but it did cost a total of £25-30 or there abouts just to buy and ship it to me, With it being ATP and there **** HOT service i had the flange pretty much the next day :agree: Its the SHIPPING that kills you... if you go cheapo expect to wait 7-10days

If you can get the seller to send as gift your ok on the import. Not many companys do that unless you have mates from US forums that can help. When i ordered my drag wheels and tyres i took a big risk and got the guy to ship them at a value of $30 :scared: to save my paying nearly £80 on tax... worked and i got no charge at all..

The new Bill J
09-09-2009, 22:28
If you can get the seller to send as gift your ok on the import.

That "loophole" was stamped out a long time ago. I read about another one where goods sent to the US for repair, are not subject to import tax on their return to the UK. Or something along those lines :confused:

I've never bought car parts, but I buy just about all my clothes from the US. I've only ever been stung by customs once, which isn't too bad seeing how much $$ I've saved.

JRP
09-09-2009, 22:29
thats were the wardrobe is from...it was either george or america ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hh

only joking ;)

gtmatt
09-09-2009, 22:32
i shipped a part today to the states and said its value was £20 so i dont get heavy import duty on it:)

but i dnt thing a company would do that for you :)

rs250nut
09-09-2009, 22:42
If there were a place like this in the u.k I would not have a problem
http://himni-racing.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13_30

rs250nut
26-05-2010, 22:01
Im going to drag this thread back up, my bottom end is built and ready to be shipped back to me. Anyone got any ideas on what would be the cheapest way of getting it back to me?

phase i 16 v turbo
27-05-2010, 09:02
Im going to drag this thread back up, my bottom end is built and ready to be shipped back to me. Anyone got any ideas on what would be the cheapest way of getting it back to me?

Have it paid on a US credit card and sent to a friend in the US who can then send it as a present or have it sent as written off goods ie storm damage.

philr5t
27-05-2010, 09:26
Have it paid on a US credit card and sent to a friend in the US who can then send it as a present or have it sent as written off goods ie storm damage.

mike is spot on john as this is the way my old man gets all his v8 parts over gets his mate to pay for them and sends it to him as a gift he gets in heads manifolds carbs all big stuff mate

rs250nut
27-05-2010, 18:44
Sounds good but I have no friends........................................... .......... in the U.S. The guy did mention sending it insured for a $1000 dollars but if it gets damaged or lost i dick out big time.

rs250nut
31-05-2010, 20:53
I have heard something about sending it as a sample? Does anyone know anything about this or shed any light on it?