PDA

View Full Version : Oil level, oil pressure gauge

Jimmy_GTT
08-09-2009, 09:09
Some days before my standard oil pressure/oil level gauge stoped working. Not surprisingly. It's a well known GTT problem.
Before that for some days it was working when I was tapping the instrument panel. Than sometimes it was OK, next start, nothing.

I had another instrument panel I have replaced it and it was working fine. So I have decided to figure out the cause of the preoblem.
First I have changed only the oil gauge in the instrument panel (with the working one) -> nothing
Than I have also changed the mainboard of the oil level/pressure gauge. It is an L shape panel behind the tacho. -> nothing.
Than I've put back the board and the gauge into the spare instrument panel. In that it was working. So I was sure that all the gauges and the L panels are OK.
The only thing left was the case of the instrument panle and all the connections on it.
So I have taken all the bulbs out, and I have cleaned all the connections with alcohol. And finally it's WORKING!!!
So I'm pretty sure that most of the time when this gauge stops working it is only some oxidation problem. So I suggest to take all the bulbs out and clean all the contacts on the back of the instrument panel.

I have also made a small test circuit. I have only connected earth, ignition, and a 10 Ohm on the oil level connectors. (and also the oil pressure lamp connected to earth) and with that it is easy to test if the oil level gauge is working fine.