PDA

View Full Version : campus to turbo what are the differences

philg
08-09-2009, 08:56
I have been looking for about 3 months now for a good shell 5 gturbo in white, really a non runner. I plan to build a 172 white track car and a bit of fun for the summer.

White shell standard, 172 engine, buckets, full race cage, stripped int, electric c locking and windows removed, plastic windows, uprated suspension and brake, oh and a lovely paint job.

Now to buy this is not as easy as it sounds, either modified engines i don't want ridiculous body kits or tatty shells.

Half way decent 5 £1000-£3000 for a hevily modified car or £250 campus and £3000 to play with.

So for the boffins on hear is there much difference between the two car from what i what to be left with?

Ie stronger chassis better running gear?

Any advice would be great.

I have also been picking a few members brains.

phil

markey b
09-09-2009, 01:26
shells are the same, although i've not seen as many rusty campus's as i have gtts

off the top of my head (and dont take this as gospel or a complete list...) main differences are

gtt loom is difference, some campus's dont even have door looms!
fuel tank has a return on the gtt and an aux tank
rear disc beam and handbrake cables
front struts and hubs
front engine stabiliser
battery on opposite side

and i've noticed that most gtt's have the clip inside the boot for the jack, but havn't seen a campus with one... is this the only 'shell' difference?

gtt's run different suspension geometry, fuel system, braking system (load valve) and the front wheel bearings are bigger

5alldaway
09-09-2009, 02:05
also the rear arches are different

philg
09-09-2009, 08:15
good responce lads, most of the above i would be looking to change, what is the difference in the fuel system, braking system (load valve)?

phil

The new Bill J
09-09-2009, 09:06
Why limit yourself to just a Campus? What's wrong with TL's, GTL's, Monaco's, GTX's? Or is it another case of "Campus" being French for "Non-turbo"? :cry:

;)

philg
09-09-2009, 09:25
i had not realised there were that many models :laugh:

modfather
09-09-2009, 09:57
i had a 1.4 gts and wanted to change it to turbo engine etc and found that the wiring loom under the dash is the same as the turbo just have to get couple extra relays for the fuel pump. and the speedo wiring. the wiring for the fuel pump which runs down the driver side will be needed and if you want electric windows the gts has the wiring to the door you just need to get the loom inside the door hope this helps:)

RoboEK
09-09-2009, 09:59
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Why limit yourself to just a Campus? What's wrong with TL's, GTL's, Monaco's, GTX's? Or is it another case of "Campus" being French for "Non-turbo"? :cry:

;)

Tbh if its a striped out track style car then you mght as well start with a campus as i dont think thay made any of the other moddels as late a a N reg so youv got a better chance of getting a good campus shell than a GTL shell, also the less thats there the less you will need to strip out. the only majour diffrence that i can see you will need to change will be the rear brakes, suspention and put a GTT kit on (if you want it to look like a GTT)

The new Bill J
09-09-2009, 10:07
New poster! (less than 10 posts)

Tbh if its a striped out track style car then you mght as well start with a campus as i dont think thay made any of the other moddels as late a a N reg so youv got a better chance of getting a good campus shell than a GTL shell,

It's not an issue with a car that's that old. In general, a Renault 5 made in 1995 won't be in better condition than one made in 1994 (for example). With old Fords and their dodgy batch of metal in 1987, then yes, the year is something to consider, but in general, nope!

As for the Renault 5 variants excluding the gtt and Campus; TC, TL, TS, GTL, TSE, GTX, GTE, Automatic, Monaco and Baccara.

philg
09-09-2009, 11:41
sounds to me this might be a better option for what i want to do. I have a rough idea on the conversion cost, cage and bits and bobs, how much would i expect to pay for a full gtt kit bumpers etc?

I want the car painted to, so £250 or a campus or about 1500 for a similar miled gtt, is the difference going to cost me more to convert?

phil

philg
11-09-2009, 09:18
are the doors the same, they appear to have like a clad on plastic trim, i take the doors the same it will just leave me with a few holes?

phil

Bigfoot
11-09-2009, 09:30
Same doors apart from manual windows and the holes where the trims are if they were there in the first place, as some other renault 5 non gt turbo didn't have the trims running along the bottom of the doors.

philg
11-09-2009, 09:42
top man :)

markey b
11-09-2009, 15:07
my old campus was an '89 and that didn't have plastic door trims etc..

i changed everything to gtt, inc dash, dials, brakes, leccy windows, suspension and hubs, rear beam, interior plastics, rear windows etc apart from engine and fuel tank

the gt rear beam will fit on a 'non turbo' without the load valve, the brake flexi's just connect straight up. i didn't have a load valve, but it was a 1.4 on 18" wheel so didn't really go fast enough for it to cause an issue

Kris M
12-09-2009, 19:48
Speak to Nick Kettle with the cabby 5, as hes just done a campus - GTT conversion :)