PDA

View Full Version : Boost Question

SP33DY
07-09-2009, 18:02
Yet another question regarding my car (Clio 182 turbo)

I have a Gizzmo ms ibc boost controller fitted.

However no matter how much I adjust it (duty cycle/gain/boost spike etc..) I can't get it to go above 8psi.

Now for the honest bit.

It did work and I haven't changed any wiring for it. so don't think it's the controller.

I have however had the cylinder head in bits to re seal it as I had an oil leak and also after the dramas of the actuator failing during mapping I've had the turbo undone so that I could rotate the central housing to allow the use of a straight rod actuator instead of the gash arrangement it was.

The boost controller was originally tapped off the inlet manifold along with the boost gauge take off and the dumpvalve vacuum line.

Whilst I had the turbo off I removed the grub screw on the comp housing and fitted a tap off for the actuator (via the boost controller solenoid as per the BC instructions).

I also ditched the dump valve so only have the boost gauge running from the manifold now.

Any ideas on what could be happening?

My train of thought is to bypass the boost controller and it should pull 7 psi (actuator setting)

then maybe look for a boost leak?

I dont think the seal could be broke on the turbo as I didn't seperate it just undone the bolts and rotated.

What about an internal leak on the cylinder head ie valve seals?

I ask this as when the actuator split and we were looking for the boost leak (before we knew it was the actuator) we used a smoke generator this resulted in smoke pouring out of the rear breather pipe we capped it off and then spotted the actuator.

I forgot all about this and after rebuilding everything took it out for a spin. It ran fine on the 9.5 psi setting but when I switched to high boost it went pop at about 12/13 psi when I looked under the bonnet there was oil everywhere and the cam seal had blown off.

Think thats everything,

Cheers

Steve