South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

The holy grail.....

It is with great pleasure that I am pleased to announce the third member to my renault 5 GT turbo family...

Purchased today......to say I am happy is an understatement!

Name:  IMG_9936.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  238.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9932.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  IMG_9933.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  131.2 KB

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The holy grail.....

Good stuff Liam I'm not sure how many EBS Raiders they built but I used to see one around West London in the late 90's. Could have been your one.
    Likes LiamR liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

!! Super cool Liam

More pics when you can.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Def will do Trev. Still need to pick it up (Wednesday) so once it's home I'll get some pics. I want before and after pics anyway so you will see it in all its glory 👍👎👍👎

I am really excited. Still can't believe I found one and managed to buy it- with reems of paperwork too.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    Good stuff Liam I'm not sure how many EBS Raiders they built but I used to see one around West London in the late 90's. Could have been your one.
    Would be pretty good if it was. No real way of knowing though. 🤐

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is sweet!!! A very nice addition to the collection. A super rare best..

Was it a genuine raider converted by ebs or has it been painted?

Committee, Shop Manager, SE Regional Rep Bigfoot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyG View Post

Now that is sweet!!! A very nice addition to the collection. A super rare best..

Was it a genuine raider converted by ebs or has it been painted?
    This has been repainted to the Raider colour, cant remember which colour it was originally. Though this could be finished off nicely in raider if purchase the material to recover the seats and replace front ones to match.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Not 100% what to do with it yet although I leaning towards getting the raider interior put inside. Make the engine pretty much OE and go from there.

The car was originally red I am led to believe.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's what I would be doing if it were mine

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Would love one myself! if it's all there then a real bonus. More pics!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Picked it up tonight and drove it home and it didn't miss a beat. Needs the tracking sorted but a real credit to the previous owner. Hopefully I can improve upon what is already there. The interior isn't to my taste. The engine bay needs a good clean and tidy up and made more OE. The windows are slower than a snail! Two holes in the roof....all niggly little things tbh.

Pictures below as I stuck in some super unleaded! Can't believe I now own 3 5GT Turbos! What am I doing!👍😜

Name:  IMG_9935.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  162.7 KB

Name:  IMG_9936.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  238.3 KB
    Likes Bigfoot, Lowiepete liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Love it Liam!!! Any pics of the interior? Be good to see this at FCS if your popping along?

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Cole View Post
    Love it Liam!!! Any pics of the interior? Be good to see this at FCS if your popping along?
    The interior isn't the best tbh. Not bad condition- just not my thing 👎I may treat u to a pic lol.

As for FCS - yes I am going. Will this be coming...prob not as I don't want to rush it and have it sub standard. It will be there and at ND next year in perfect (ish) condition. 😜

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

One small addition that came with the car....a devil strut Brace. Having it vapour blasted tomorrow and then polished up so it's as good as new. Then trying to find a printer who can make up the ' devil' sticker. Only a small thing but it's a start.

Name:  IMG_9937.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  443.5 KB

Also found a trimmer who can repair the two small holes in the roof and do the retrim so that it's sporting a raider interior. As well as popping into see the guy who does my spraywork. I have decided I want both front and rear bumpers sprayed and the black bump strips put back on.

Then on to the engine!!!!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Have managed to borrow one of these to get copied. Am hoping to get a few made up although I thought it would be as simple as walking into a printers and asking for it to be reproduced. Apparently not the case...

Name:  IMG_9938.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  46.9 KB

Jonathan Ward very kindly made me this badge for the rear which I love and it should look great once fixed on

Name:  IMG_9939.jpg
Size:  157.9 KB

I have started to strip the interior completely as it has a few issues and I wanted it to look a little more OE tbh. The rear door cards are out and I am thinking to have them flocked alongside the front door cards. 3 of the 4 electric windows have decided to die so that needs investigation whilst it's all stripped. It's also missing a few different interior plastics, blanks, clips etc that I have been scouring the internet to find.

Name:  IMG_9940.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  226.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9948.jpg
Size:  174.8 KB

The car did come with the red fleck interior in a very average condition which was a bonus. I am trying to go for an OE finish so the details are important to me.

Name:  IMG_9947.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  191.6 KB

They are not in atrocious condition but certainly need some TLC. So...........

Name:  IMG_9943.jpg
Size:  110.8 KB

A sample was obtained from Tissens. They are now the only place with the blue flag interior cloth and don't you pay a premium for it! I ordered the fabric two days ago so that should appear soon. Alongside the ribbed black fabric it has set me back over £700 already!!!

I also have a wobbly dash on the drivers side. Investigation has revealed I need one of these.

Name:  IMG_9942.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  148.4 KB

More cuckoo land prices for these things!!!

I am leaving the engine bay for last but I have started collecting a stash of items for this. Luckily in the boot was a new rocker cover! Which I am please about as it has one of the group buy ' renault 5 gt turbo' ones on at the moment. It's a little messy in the pic but it cleaned up well.

Name:  IMG_9941.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  425.2 KB

I also took off the rear number plate lights that were a little discoloured and yellow. A few days soaking in Tesco finest bleach and some polishing up and they are 100% better. I am pretty pleased with the results as I was preparing to chuck them in the bin and pay the crazy prices for a new set!

Name:  IMG_9944.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  81.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Love this. Definitely deserves an OE resto.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get stuck with the Devil sticker let me know, I have a guy who can probably sort this. With regards the door cards have you seen that Tissens sell the original style cloth for the door cards.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get stuck with the Devil sticker let me know, I have a guy who can probably sort this. With regards the door cards have you seen that Tissens sell the original style cloth for the door cards.
    Would your contact be able to copy exactly and to a good standard? Any idea on price?tissens have that do they? Link?

Thanks for the help 👍

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Today's delivery is......

Name:  IMG_0039.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  195.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  186.1 KB

Things are coming along nicely now. Just need to find a decent company to do the retrim.

Next purchase one tonneau cover! Anyone got a driver side upper door plastic knocking about???

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    Would your contact be able to copy exactly and to a good standard? Any idea on price?tissens have that do they? Link?

Thanks for the help 👍
    Hi Liam - Have a trawl through here for the fabric. http://tissens.com/en/recherche?cont...submit_search=

With regards the decal let me try and get in touch with the chap this week. His speciality is reproduction graphics for high end mountain bike resto's so if he will do them they will be 100% spot on. I have an original here I can send him to copy but it depends on what minimum quantity will be and price. I also have a couple of others I would like copied for my own use.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Liam - Have a trawl through here for the fabric. http://tissens.com/en/recherche?cont...submit_search=

With regards the decal let me try and get in touch with the chap this week. His speciality is reproduction graphics for high end mountain bike resto's so if he will do them they will be 100% spot on. I have an original here I can send him to copy but it depends on what minimum quantity will be and price. I also have a couple of others I would like copied for my own use.
    Thanks for that. That's the same place I bought the blue raider material from 👍

I do def want to reproduce some devil stickers to a decent high end quality. Have you had much luck?

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Managed to get a few hours working on the 5 today! First port of call- remove the woeful, mind of its own alarm that was fitted! It is something from the 90's and was atrocious! Turned out that the wiring wasn't the best but I got there in the end. Cut it out completely from the various parts of the loom, soldered back together and then heat shrink tubing over the top. Looks as good as new....

Name:  IMG_0170.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  251.2 KB

Best place for the alarm! Had that panicky feeling that things wouldn't work once I had finished but all was fine and dandy! No more temperamental alarm👍 Hoovered out bare metal inside and gave it a quick clean. I know you won't see it once the interior carpet is replaced but even so....had to do it. Cleaned the carpet during the week using loads of vanish carpet cleaner and it has come up ok.

Name:  IMG_0169.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  185.0 KB

Got hold of a dash side clip and replaced that ( Thanks Dale) and so I no longer have a wobbly dash! Quite amazing how much difference just one clip can make.

Name:  IMG_0171.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  114.2 KB

Trying to rush in between the rain and I forgot to get a pic of the carpet fitted!👎I did find this wire not fitted to anything and just tucked up under the dash! My assumption is it's part of the loom that attaches to the rear wiper etc and as I haven't got one it's redundant? Can anyone confirm?

Name:  IMG_0172.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  176.2 KB

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little teaser of the devil strut brace......

Have spent faaar too long polishing it and now my right bicep could rival arnie!

Name:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  144.8 KB

East Midlands Area Rep Mr Raider's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff fella, that car is rare as fook, once in a lifetime opportunity . Great collection love to see a cheeky picture of all 3 together

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

New bolsters fitted alongside a complete retrim with new material. A little sneak pic before it is fitted once the weather picks up...

Name:  0C3E949F-E7E6-4685-B60B-8161CA91D909.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  184.5 KB

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Raider View Post
    Awesome stuff fella, that car is rare as fook, once in a lifetime opportunity . Great collection love to see a cheeky picture of all 3 together
    I’ll see what I can do 👍

Post Thanks / Like

Great seeing this come on. Love it!

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You're not actually going to sit on those seats are you?!

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Have got a load of original restoration photos now too. Will upload these when I have some free time.

Once the weather picks up there will be more progress hopefully.

As for sitting on the seats- not sure I really want to tbh. But what are the other options? Remove them and sit on a bucket maybe 😉

Committee, NW Regional Rep Alex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    Have got a load of original restoration photos now too. Will upload these when I have some free time.

Once the weather picks up there will be more progress hopefully.

As for sitting on the seats- not sure I really want to tbh. But what are the other options? Remove them and sit on a bucket maybe ��
    Possibly some tasteful seat covers?

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Liam

I bought some devil strut brace stickers off Sam Fish when he had them remade. Just checked and I still have a spare if you still need one. I’m not on here as much as I like these days, so fire me an email on stevenleece@gmail.com or pm me and I’ll get back to you ASAP.

On a separate note I’m thinking of selling my devil strut brace as I’ve finished restoring my gt turbo and sort of changed my mind on a couple of things, what sort of price do you think it’s worth (with a devil sticker of course)?

Project looks great, never seen one of these in the flesh but they look great in the pics!

Cheers

Steve