Post Thanks / Like

E626JDX - Silver Renault 5 GT Turbo

With a heavy heart I've come to the conclusion, I have to get rid of the 5. It's in a pretty sorry state and I don't and probably will never have the time or the funds to repair it. The main issue is body work. It needs the usual, cills (both inner (patched already) and outers), bumper mounts front and rear, new o/s front door, new front bumper. Front windscreen has started bubbling, but I dont think its all of the way through. I've started stripping the car, so the engine bay is in pieces, but all the pieces are there

The last year the car was on the road (coming up 7yrs now!!!), it had extensive mechanical works carried out. I replaced both rear brake calipers, discs (bearings) and pads, the engine was completely rebuilt by MrBean (aka Pete), the gear box was also completely rebuilt with new syncros by Pete. Turbo was rebuilt by AdamL. This was due to an air leak and the engine going boom! Once it was back on the road, it run a healthy 16psi and was RR'd at 160odd bhp

The car has stood for 7 years (always garaged), it rolls freely but I can't guarantee any mechanical part of the car, although when it was on the road, mechanically, it never went without

Pictures can be found of the body work required here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/btooru8tj...kTaGguSEa?dl=0

I have no way of delivering, so it will need to be collected. Everything 5 related I have, will go with the car

I am open to offers, but please bare in mind, I have 3 kids, 2 of which are daughters and an expensive Mrs, so please pity me . Joking aside, i would like £500 but as mentioned, open to offers

Many thanks

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: E626JDX - Silver Renault 5 GT Turbo

pm'd

Committee, Treasurer, Memberships admin Ian S's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hebden View Post
    i would like £500
    Did you miss a 0 off?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
    Did you miss a 0 off?
    You're the second person to say that to me today! I cant bring myself to break the car and really cant be doing with ebay!

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you just add the price of a few bits your at a couple or few thousand with the car thrown if for free.

Grill; £300?
    Gear change knob; 250?
    Those little plastic door winder covers; 50?

Wheels, engine, refurb gearbox, refurb turbo, suspension, brakes, SPA gauges, all the interior parts, boot badge, etc., etc., etc..

See what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you just add the price of a few bits your at a couple or few thousand with the car thrown if for free.

Grill; £300?
    Gear change knob; 250?
    Those little plastic door winder covers; 50?

Wheels, engine, refurb gearbox, refurb turbo, suspension, brakes, SPA gauges, all the interior parts, boot badge, etc., etc., etc..

See what I mean?
    But that's not what this is about Ian. Yes in parts the car is worth more, i know this. I would like the car to go to a person that will put the time and effort into it and do what i can't, put it back on the road. OK i can't force anyone to take this on as a project, and they can give me all the billy bull they want when they come to look at it, but i feel i've priced the car fairly for a project

At the end of the day, the car is only taking up space, i have been moaned at for the last 5yrs, if the car doesn't go then what's another 5yrs of moaning
    Last edited by Chris Hebden; 03-05-2017 at 09:42.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

But that's not what this is about Ian. Yes in parts the car is worth more, i know this. I would like the car to go to a person that will put the time and effort into it and do what i can't, put it back on the road. OK i can't force anyone to take this on as a project, and they can give me all the billy bull they want when they come to look at it, but i feel i've priced the car fairly for a project

At the end of the day, the car is only taking up space, i have been moaned at for the last 5yrs, if the car doesn't go then what's another 5yrs of moaning
    Put it on the Facebook page for £1500 with pictures and it'll be sold before the end of the day to be restored, people are waiting for them to come up.. let's be honest, the traffic on here is a fraction that goes through Facebook..

Put it at £3000 Ono with genuine enquiries and you'll still get interest.

The value of your car and parts is higher now, you're not mugging anyone, but at £500 you're being mugged and that's before I see what you're selling
    Likes tubbyG liked this post

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dropped you a pm, not on here a lot but I'm also on the two main Facebook sites, Anthony Bunce.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe......just maybe it's not about the money! Maybe it's about the fact he is selling his 5 and hoping someone will promise to restore it to its former glory.

The £500 is insignificant. It's all about seeing a photo or two of it completed and the owner is someone from the Rtoc! Not other clubs etc

Just my opinion.
    Likes Chris Hebden liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Be great if it was sold to an rtoc member and it's restoration tracked here.

Agree though that the vultures on Facebook would have it cleared in seconds.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiamR View Post
    Maybe......just maybe it's not about the money! Maybe it's about the fact he is selling his 5 and hoping someone will promise to restore it to its former glory.

The £500 is insignificant. It's all about seeing a photo or two of it completed and the owner is someone from the Rtoc! Not other clubs etc

Just my opinion.
    The cheaper it is the more chance it'll get broken as there's wayyyyy to much profit to be made.

Put that on my driveway for £500 and I'm breaking it, profit with mininal outlay, that'll fund my current car.

This is exactly what has happened for years..

If it's to be restored, it needs to sell for it's worth so restoration is the only option.

Deep down we all know that's the truth..
    Likes Ian S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good afternoon all,

Thank you for the input, it's been an interesting talking point. The car has sold to Duncan Grier, the person who i bought the car off or originally. I know Duncan and know he will do all he can for the car
    Likes Ian S liked this post

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlashbangGtt View Post
    The cheaper it is the more chance it'll get broken as there's wayyyyy to much profit to be made.

Put that on my driveway for £500 and I'm breaking it, profit with mininal outlay, that'll fund my current car.

This is exactly what has happened for years..

If it's to be restored, it needs to sell for it's worth so restoration is the only option.

Deep down we all know that's the truth..
    Totally don't agree but such is life. We all have different opinions!

Let's hope we see it restored and back on the road 👍

Post Thanks / Like

What would happen once the parts were sold / utilised is that the shell would then be sold to someone who wants a bodywork project.

There seems to be more shells that parts now, hence the sudden very high parts prices.

I think I've probably missed the boat with mine, seeing how, what were, cheap simple parts a couple of years ago are suddenly now ridiculous or not available, this evening I started to think about letting any sentiment or aspirations to restore it, all go and selling up as I can't afford to buy that collection of exorbitant simple parts that I probably should have bought a while ago in preparation.

Post Thanks / Like

With a heavy heart I've come to the conclusion, I have to get rid of the 5. It's in a pretty sorry state and I don't and probably will never have the time or the funds to repair it. The main issue is body work. It needs the usual, cills (both inner (patched already) and outers), bumper mounts front and rear, new o/s front door, new front bumper. Front windscreen has started bubbling, but I dont think its all of the way through. I've started stripping the car, so the engine bay is in pieces, but all the pieces are there

The last year the car was on the road (coming up 7yrs now!!!), it had extensive mechanical works carried out. I replaced both rear brake calipers, discs (bearings) and pads, the engine was completely rebuilt by MrBean (aka Pete), the gear box was also completely rebuilt with new syncros by Pete. Turbo was rebuilt by AdamL. This was due to an air leak and the engine going boom! Once it was back on the road, it run a healthy 16psi and was RR'd at 160odd bhp

The car has stood for 7 years (always garaged), it rolls freely but I can't guarantee any mechanical part of the car, although when it was on the road, mechanically, it never went without

Pictures can be found of the body work required here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/btooru8tj...kTaGguSEa?dl=0

I have no way of delivering, so it will need to be collected. Everything 5 related I have, will go with the car

I am open to offers, but please bare in mind, I have 3 kids, 2 of which are daughters and an expensive Mrs, so please pity me . Joking aside, i would like £500 but as mentioned, open to offers

Many thanks

Chris

Have you sold it yet

Post Thanks / Like

The car has sold to Duncan Grier, the person who i bought the car off or originally.

South East Regional Rep
    Post Thanks / Like

What would happen once the parts were sold / utilised is that the shell would then be sold to someone who wants a bodywork project.

There seems to be more shells that parts now, hence the sudden very high parts prices.

I think I've probably missed the boat with mine, seeing how, what were, cheap simple parts a couple of years ago are suddenly now ridiculous or not available, this evening I started to think about letting any sentiment or aspirations to restore it, all go and selling up as I can't afford to buy that collection of exorbitant simple parts that I probably should have bought a while ago in preparation.
    Don't give up Ian. You can still get the parts if you keep your eyes open. And do you actually need to go totally OE? I'd say no. A 5 back on the road is all that counts!

Post Thanks / Like

Not been on for a long while but did this sell? Take it it did for that price but thought id ask..

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, long gone. Went back to a previous owner as per Ian's post above.