Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

1989 R5 Gt Turbo-modified

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

The car itself, which I have owned for the last 10 months, is a 1989 Renault 5 GT Turbo ph2.

I AM SELLING AS A PROJECT AS THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING TO ITS POTENTIAL AND I NO LONGER HAVE THE TIME TO MESS WITH IT...

IN THE 10 MONTHS I HAVE HAD IVE SPENT 2K! NEW SUSPENSION,WHEEL BEARING,MOT,AND VARIOUS DYNO RUNS.. I MAY BREAK HER FOR PARTS BUT TO BE HONEST SHES A BIT TO TIDY FOR THAT..JUST NEEDS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEYRE DOING!!

I BOUGHT ORIGINALLY TO DO SOME TRACK DAYS AND SANTA POD RUNS,BUT HAVENT HAD THE TIME TO DO EITHER!!

THE CAR HAS BEEN SET AT 20 psi,THE LAST OWNER HAD IT RUNNING AT 30psi AS YOU WILL SEE IN THE DESCRIPTION,BUT AS I SAID SOMETHING ISNT SET CORRECTLY WITH THE FUELLING SIDE OF THINGS,AND NEEDS THAT NEEDS TO BE ADJUSTED TO RUN BIG BOOST.

The following description is from the previous owner who built it originally.

Its pretty heavily modified as you can probably see, and although probably not to everyones taste, its easy to see that its been done properly with no expense spared. This car isn't your normal plastic fantastic all show no go bodykitted go kart, its a very quick bit of kit, yes the paint is loud but that's only the beginning

Engine:

The engine is the original 1.4 8v C1J engine designed for the 5, but with some serious modifications to genuinely double the power output that it was born with. Starting with the bottom end, it has a fully lightened and balanced bottom end, with knife edged crank and baffled sump. Oil supply is via an uprated oil pump, and cooled by a front mounted oil cooler. The block deck and liners have been skimmed to raise the compression, and the pistons have been dished to slightly lower it back down, but the engine is still a high compression engine, which gives it well over250lb/ft of torque. The cam is a piper 285, dialled in to 112degress with a vernier pulley. catcams valve springs and modified head chambers change the dynamics of the engine to provide a much better burn of the fuel directly in the centre of the dish. The garret VNT turbo is fed from a braced tubular manifold, with external wastegate. The turbo itself is very rare, its variable geometry provides full boost (30psi) by 3000rpm, and that's fully in, not just starting to spool. This car has virtually no lag and on big boost its pretty brutal with its power delivery, a damp road and high boost and you will break traction in 5th! taking care of fuel is a modified carburettor, with different jetting and second stage modifications to suit the VNT turbo. AFR's are always 10-11 even at high boost, an AEM uego gauge keeps a check on this. The external wastegate exits out the side of the front bumper, whilst the main exhaust is a side exit out infront of the rear wheel. Intake wise the engine has a massive blitz stainless steel filter, right behind the grille for optimal cold air. A custom made intercooler side behind the front bumper with the shortest boost run possible, the intercooler is a high quality one, custom made for my car, not a cheap ebay bar and plate special. The intake air temp gauge confirms that it does its job. A cooling mist water meth kit is there to provide some resistant to det, running off a custom alloy tank in the scuttle panel. Ignition wise, this car runs a fully mappable nodiz kit, running from a trigger wheel, map sensor, coolant temp and air temp sensor. The ECU is a clever bit of kit, and allows complete control of the ignition side of things, and also allows the car to run a much more modern wasted spark setup rather than distributer and rotor. The ECU also has some clever features like launch control, and full throttle gearshift. The engine has a full SFS silicone hose kit, custom alloy boost pipes and blue silicone throughout. Looks wise the engine and block are satin black with all the brackets and pulleys etc all powder coated gold. A chrome rocker cover, carbon scuttle covers, multiple carbon mounting plates and alloy breather and header tank complete the shiny bits. I only use motul 15w/50 oil, and genuine filters, changed every year or 2000 miles, whichever is first, lately time rather than mileage

There is an additional roof mounted switch for gain control on the VNT turbo, so low lag or no lag. dangerous or down right savage

Transmission:

The car runs a close ratio JB3036 gearbox, so will top out at a GPS 128mph at 7000rpm, this means your putting it in 5th under the gantry at santa pod, but also means it literally accelerates as quick as a 600cc supersport bike from a roll. The car runs a 215mm helix 4 paddle clutch and kestrel clutch uprated cover plate, meant for a 172 but a modified flywheel allows the larger size rather than the standard 200mm item. Genuine Elf gearbox oil, new clutch cable and gold powder coated engine mounts

Chassis:

THE CAR IS NOW SITTING ON BRAND NEW CUSTOM MADE ADJUSTABLE BILSTEIN/AST FRONT STRUTS AND BILSTEIN REARS, fully polybushed even down to the strut top donuts the ride is very stiff, ideally suited to track, not quite so much to the road. A genuine devil strut brace on the front and a custom made rear strut brace, and giant X brace rear cage keep the chassis stiff. Under the 16" ACE 198 lightweight and custom painted wheels, wrapped in 195/40/16 Pirelli Pzero nero tyres, sit 325mm monster 4 hi spec brakes, on floating alloy bells. The brakes are huge, and are slightly too much for the 800kg car, but it means it stops as well as it goes. rear has grooved discs, standard pads and adjusted comp valve to balance out the epic front braking power. New brake pipes and Braided hoses allround, 24mm master cylinder from a golf rallye and dot4 racing fluid complete the braking system

Exterior:

About 6 years ago, the car was sent to a local but famous bodyshop to be restored as rust was starting to take hold. the car was completely stripped back to a shell, and any bad panels replaced. The car had new doors and boot, sills and scuttle panel. Then the car was painted inside and out in a custom colour made especially for me, Then covered in a deep coat of anti scratch laquer. A grey bonnet with airbrushed checkers give a break from the orange, and the airbrushing is also carried onto the rear spoiler and backs of the seats. When it was painted I spent a fortune at Renault on new parts, including brand new bumpers, grille, seals etc. The bumpers have been de striped, the rear has the exhaust recess removed, and the front has the plate recess removed, and all the slats opened up. The sill have been filleted for the exhaust, so it sits through the sill, not under like everyone elses side exit, this gives slightly more ground clearance but its still pretty low The bonnet is louvred and bad boy'd, and there are a few custom touches, like the vents in the NSF wing, carbon canards and splitter, carbon foglamp ducts and carbon baseplates. California mirrors sit on modified Renault Extra baseplates. Storm single wiper conversion, rear wiper delete, rear badge delete, delocked and de aerialed complete the bodywork. I fitted a pair of new headlamps with HID kit and also crystal clear front indicators imported from Germany at great expense. Rear lights have been professionally sprayed with a clear red dye and LED bulbs throughout ensure the indicators etc still shine orange. The paintjob is inside, outside, even inside the wheel arches are painted, laqured and polished. Actually underneath the car is undersealed.

Interior:

Inside the car, the main noticeable thing is the dashboard, The entire dash is actually from a 16v clio, including the steering column, and ignition key. The wiring is custom and enables the clio switches to be used to make it looks like it should be there. Seats are Kevlar sparco pro 2000, with the rears painted in bodycolour with airbrushed checkers. Takata harnesses keep you strapped in, and a momo trek steering wheel on a snap off boss does the fun bit. Usual alloy pedals, gearknob and handbrake lever are there too. Alloy floor plates are there instead of horrible mats, and are easy to keep clean. the rear is stripped and painted, with the battery relocated to the boot. Gauge wise, there are lots. Pillar pod houses AEM uego AFR gauge, with a coolant temp and boost underneath, then in the centre is another boost, oil pressure and voltmeter. Aquamist DDS3 water injection controller replaces the clock, and there is also a sequential shift light, turbo timer, intake air temp and knock gauge around the steering wheel. An alpine CD player and Rockford 3 way speakers provide the audio, but in all honesty its there to fill a hole, it not really needed. I fitted one touch windows on both sides, and a toad cat1 alarm with proximity sensor and remote light control. The dashtop is flocked as you can see also, this stops any glare from the sun obviously, and looks awesome

As with any car, there are a few bad bits, so i'll list them all, no matter how small, as I want it to be a completely true and transparent representation of my car.

There is some small paint reaction on the a pillars, its been repainted twice and keeps coming back after time, rear tailgate has slight rust bubble under rear screen, pass side door has small paint cracks around mirror. small scratch on OSR wheel arch, interior sunroof trim missing, seats are faded and would really benefit from a new set of covers, bonnet has slight bubbles on bad boys, this is from a fastcar shoot where the put a rig on to get some moving shots, and it pushed the bolt into the underside of it. small abrasions from bonnet being open and shut on wing tops, drivers doorcard has small rip on armrest

The car has been featured in 3 magazines, performance French cars, redline and fastcar magazine, and has won multiple awards at shows I have attended in the past. I have copies of 2 of the magazine features that will come with the car.

Extras:

I have a few extras that will come with the car, firstly about 2 litres of the custom orange paint , 5l of medical grade methanol for the water injection system too. Lastly, I have one spare tyre, 195/40/16 matching Pirelli pzero that I kept as a spare, it has 3mm on which will come with the car.

I AM NOT DESPERATE TO SELL THIS CAR SO PLEASE DONT OFFER ME £2000 OR SIMILAR, I AM OPEN TO SENSIBLE OFFERS BUT LIKE I SAID I MAY JUST GET IT RUNNING PROPERLY AND KEEP AS AN INVESTMENT..

Ebay item 321722281790

Any questions feel free to ask, but this car must go to a good home, like I said, I don't need to sell it, so I'm just as happy to keep it as I am to listen to offers.
    £6995 ONO
    CAR IS ON EBAY IF YOU WANT TO SEE PICS... WONT UPLOAD FOR SOME REASON
    MY CONTACT EMAIL IS BODGEYOUNG@SKY.COM car located in Forest of Dean,glos
    Last edited by Bodgeyoung; 26-04-2015 at 09:40.

Non-member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1989 R5 Gt Turbo-modified

New poster! (less than 10 posts)

No longer for sale